Goose Green councillors - how can we help?

Perhaps it is part of the London-wide cycle network, or simply a nudge to remind people that cycling is an option. I think road closures will be few and far between given the LTN debacle. (I wish the council would encourage and make safer walking by making overgrown bush owners cut them back and smoothing out dips and trip-hazards on footpaths as well as promoting cycling, which I am in favour of.)

Seems a bit silly putting a cycle network outside the road closures though. There's lots more cars and lorries on my road now trying to rat run past the queues on Lordship Lane (I even saw Charlie Smith driving down here once).

Why put a new cycle network in the middle of all that?

They should close our road too. (Sorry Charlie)

Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well.

Lynne - did you email me about this? I received a similar issue by email a few weeks ago. If not, please do drop me an email with more details (including an address) and I will look into it.

TD - ditto, I think we've communicated over email but if it's just a coincidence that two people have had a similar experience, please let me know and I'll get right on it.

IainJ - this is definitely an issue for Goose Green residents. I am of the view that buses should be allowed back down Rye Lane but that in the long term we need to find a solution that allows both bus access to the train station and also a safe cycle route. Rye Lane is a key part of the cycle network as it connects two key routes: south from Peckham Rye through to Lewisham, and north of Peckham High Street up to London Bridge.

CPR Dave I haven't been told anything about new cycle markings. It's not a road closure and that street does make up part of the Southwark spine (as other posters have pointed out) so I suspect that it's that.

LTNs As you know, the council has issued a number of proposals in response to the Dulwich Review. These are now subject to further discussion and feedback. I'll update you when I know more.

Rockets Your councillors, Cllr Browning and Cllr Hartley, are available by email on [email protected] and [email protected].

Best wishes

James

Cllr McAsh - in the same way that you believe that the Rye Lane closure is impacting the residents of Goose Green the LTN closures in your ward and the Dulwich Village ward are impacting all residents in the Dulwich area. I know you are trying to play the "please talk to other councillors card" to avoid giving a response but surely you can give us your opinion. You just gave us your opinion on a matter creating issues for your constituents within your ward but not directly linked to your ward so maybe you could do the same for the LTN issue.

You were, after all, a key advocate for the closures and were lobbying for them but you cannot be happy that 68% of constituents (many of them your constituents) have said they want the closures removed and yet the council is ignoring them. I think many of the posters here are interested in hearing a response from you, especially what you perceive the benefits to be as they are not clear to many of us.

Of course, if the party line is not to comment on this then that's fair enough but there are a lot of people who you, and your colleagues, claim to represent who are feeling very let down right now.

If you steadfastly refuse to engage with someone who lives outside your ward then maybe one of your constituents who posts here can ask the same questions in an attempt to garner a response.

Sorry Nigel but I don't see why I should have to put up with the traffic that has been diverted away from the millioniares of Dulwich Village and Melbourne Grove.

If our councillors believe those people should have quiet roads then it's fair to ask them to do the same for us when they have made our roads worse.

Unfortunately, the nudge element of the LTN strategy is to try to create just this scenario where people say, quite rightly, why should I have to live with the displacement whilst others have less traffic and ask their councillors for support and the best the councillors can muster is "do you want one?". It happened on the Dulwich Hill ward call after the LTNs went in.

All the councillors knew what was going to happen when the OHS measures were suggested and didn't put up any sort of fight.

It was, after all, why Cllr McAsh was, pre-Covid, going door to door on Melbourne Grove and surrounding streets as part of OHS and was telling people - DV/Court Lane will get closed and this will increase the traffic on your streets - do you want an LTN?

A lot of us were hoping that at least one of the councillors would have stood-up and pushed back against the DV closures as it was clear what the fallout was going to be on their constituents.

CPR Dave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry Nigel but I don't see why I should have to

> put up with the traffic that has been diverted

> away from the millioniares of Dulwich Village and

> Melbourne Grove.

>

> If our councillors believe those people should

> have quiet roads then it's fair to ask them to do

> the same for us when they have made our roads

> worse.

This 👍🏼

• 1 month later...
Cllr Mcash - is it the council's responsibility for sweeping the pavements? The depth of leaves at the end of Lordship Lane as you head towards Townley Road is getting ludicrous - if it rains the leave mulch will be ankle deep and a significant slip hazard. Is there anything you can do?

Hi Rockets,

I've reported this and will try to get it sorted as soon as possible.

I feel like we've discussed this many times before but if you have future queries would you mind please addressing them to your own local councillors in Dulwich Hill. I have no greater ability to make changes in the council than they do and it is their job to represent you, just as it is my job to represent the residents of Goose Green. It's nothing personal against you but it's not fair to either my constituents or to my fellow councillors in Dulwich Hill for me to take up issues on behalf of Dulwich Hill residents.

Best wishes

James

James, that specific problem is in Goose Green ward. I'm grateful to Rockets for picking it up and helping out my fellow Goose Green residents.

Do you really want Dulwich Hill councillors coming on to our patch to clean up our streets? Better for Goose Green councillors to deal with Goose Green I think.

Hi both,

CPR Dave - If this is where I think it is then I think it's in Dulwich Village ward. But in any case, I wouldn't expect every resident to know where all the ward boundaries are and contact a different set of councillors each time they want to raise a different issue. Rather, everyone has their own 2 or 3 councillors who they can speak to about any issue relating to the council's work. For instance, a number of Goose Green residents contacted me about Rye Lane and I represented these concerns and views to the council, despite it not being in Goose Green ward.

Nigello - sorry to hear that you've not had replies. I work quite closely with Cllr Browning of Dulwich Hill and as far as I can tell she is very diligent in responding. That's not to say that others are not too, just that I don't work with them as much so it's hard to tell!

Best wishes

James

Cllr McAsh - it is particularly bad just along the road from Mrs Robinson before you get to Melbourne Grove - that is your ward isn't it?

I was merely bringing it to your attention as it has been getting progressively worse over the last few weeks and if it rains at any point it will become a significant slip hazard - in places the leaf collection is shin deep.

Thanks Nigello for flagging where this type of thing can be reported. According to the leafing schedule it looks like parts of Lordship Lane have already been done, others are due to be done this week or the week of Nov 29th. I have reported it in the hope it can be expedited although I have to say reporting things like missed bin collections seems to disappear into a black hole and nothing done about it.

And Cllr McAsh I can attest that Cllr Browning is very responsive but I am now living in the Village Ward and the councillors here are, ahem, less responsive....;-)