Goose Green councillors - how can we help?

Hi all

I presume this refers to public bins not residential or commercial waste? These collections haven't been reduced in recent weeks as far as I know but it may be that the rota does not match up well to current usage. If there are specific bins which are often overflowing please email me, ideally with a photo, and I will see if I can get them collected more frequently. I'm already trying to do this at other locations.

Best wishes

James

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Cllr McAsh

Please could I request your assistance with the shop chasing multiple electrocutions to customers and delivery drivers per my thread below?

https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,2249618

It requires urgent remediation and I am getting no help from the council staff or ward councillors.

The hospital is nearby so the shop is frequented by NHS staff, patients and many pregnant women also.

Best

James - one very simple and easily achieved action would be to require the sweepers to place plastic sacks of rubbish on bins rather than at the side. Some do, some don't and it seems silly not to make it a requirement because it stops foxes from ripping them apart and spreading contents all over the pavement. I can't understand why it is not part of the job description. Maybe it is and some don't bother. (There is nothing from stopping anyone from doing that themselves, of course.)

jamesmcash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Data

> I have to disagree that there is not a lot of data

> published, or that it is just "headline

> summaries". The link above (this one:

> https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryH

> ome.aspx?IId=50027352&Opt=0) includes 22

> documents, most of which include lots of data. As

> far as I can see, most of the forms of data

> requested in the posts above are already

> available.

>

> I'll draw out two examples. Appendix C3 has

> traffic counts at 23 locations, broken down by

> vehicle type and time of day, and at between 5 and

> 8 points in time. Appendix C5 has average bus

> times every week for over 2 years, in both

> directions, on 8 roads. From this you can get a

> very good idea for how traffic has changed in the

> area in terms of both vehicle counts and

> congestion (for which bus times is a good proxy).

>

> The vast majority of this is not adjusted

> whatsoever - it clearly states the month where it

> was collected so does not need to be adjusted to

> take into consideration season factors. The

> exception is the "baseline data" which for obvious

> reasons could not be collected specifically for

> this project. So instead the council had to use

> data it already had, which were not all from the

> same month. Hence the adjustments.

>

> This was all done by an independent analyst.

>

> None of this is to say that there aren't pieces of

> information that some would like to have but which

> are not available. But it is to put these requests

> in the context of the large amount of information

> that is already published. And providing this

> information comes at some cost. When the council

> publishes data it needs to go through rigorous

> checks first. As mentioned above, sometimes these

> do not catch errors but the more data there are

> the more likely that these errors will come

> through. So requesting more data means more time

> spent on it by council officers and external

> parties.

>

> Best wishes,

> James

It?s no good sharing data in how effective LTNs have been. How does that bolster my objection at being mildly inconvenienced. Can?t the council create some new ?evidence? that show how shaving a minute or two off a short drive somehow aligns with the interests of a marginalised group, or a concern for the environment? It would make it a lot easier to justify my taking the Range Rover to pick up a flat white. I don?t understand why the council won?t put my feelings on this first?

To quote Heartblock

"Quite a few Goose Green and Village residents are experts in or use statistical analysis and data science, they are very well aware of the holes in this piece of work.

Consequences from improperly collected data include the inability to answer research questions accurately, the inability to repeat and validate a study, distorted findings resulting in wasted resources, misleading other researchers to pursue fruitless avenues of investigation and importantly for this report - compromising decisions for public policy."

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James - one very simple and easily achieved action

> would be to require the sweepers to place plastic

> sacks of rubbish on bins rather than at the side.

> Some do, some don't and it seems silly not to make

> it a requirement because it stops foxes from

> ripping them apart and spreading contents all over

> the pavement. I can't understand why it is not

> part of the job description. Maybe it is and some

> don't bother. (There is nothing from stopping

> anyone from doing that themselves, of course.)

The foxes on Adys Rd and Bellenden Rd seem perfectly capable of knocking rubbish off the top of bins and strewing it all over the street. The bin by St Johns seems to be a particular problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I hope everyone is well and staying safe. Like many people locally, I recently came down with covid, despite being vaccinated. So please do take all necessary precautions.

Leara Has this been resolved now? It's not in my ward but if you're one of my constituents then I'm happy to look into it. Please email me at [email protected], and please include your address too.

Nigello Sounds sensible. I will look into it.

Speaking of bins etc, I have had a number of constituents contact me about these issues so I am organising a community meeting on the subject. Details below

Hello Goose Green resident,

Join your local councillors in Goose Green, Cllr James McAsh, Cllr Victoria Olisa and Cllr Charlie Smith on Tuesday 18 January 2022 for an online ward meeting.

The theme is: Keeping East Dulwich Clean

Guests include Cllr Darren Merrill (Cabinet Member for a Safer, Cleaner Borough) and senior council officers who can answer your questions on:

- Residential waste

- Business waste

- Public bins and street cleaning

The meeting starts at 7pm ? 8:30pm and will take place online via Microsoft Teams.

Pre-registration is required to attend this meeting. Simply visit: https://bit.ly/CleanerED and enter your name and email address.

Hope to see you on the 18 January 2022.

Best wishes

James

Hi James - regarding the Air Quality Report.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/assets/attach/77414/Air-Quality-modelling-report_June-2021_Dulwich-Streetspace.pdf

Regardless of the argument over traffic levels, no real change to the levels of pollutants along East Dulwich Grove, Dulwich Village, Half Moon Lane, Village Way.

Wasn't reducing pollution a key objective of the LTN implementation, so perhaps the measures don't go far enough ?

Re the litter, I sent you an email showing worst practice at Dulwich Village, where bags were left on the ground and ripped by fox/es. It is perfectly possible the wily fox could pull a bag off the top of a bin but it is not a given that it will succeed in ripping it open, unlike if it is left at fox level. The bags were cleared an hour later, it seems, but the spillage was left there. (I put some of it in the now empty bins). Is it because picking up spilt litter is not in the remit of teh bag collector's contract, or they simply CBA? Eitehr way, it is not a good look for anyone, including Southwark which does pretty well on the environment, to be fair, at least in my experience.

Using an average doesn't show the danger of peaks - it is the peaks in pollution that exacerbate asthma and can cause dangerous levels leading to a rise in childhood and adult mortality.

The table also says 'predicted' rather than actual which is very concerning. Why not the actual? How can one predict pollution levels - it's a strange take.

The maximum figures don't make sense - we know that NOx on ED Grove measured 59ug per cubic metre at some points.

I know James that you truly believe this is all for the good, I hope you are right - but unfortunately those living and breathing on ED Grove right now are experiencing a very different reality.

• 2 weeks later...

And in case Cllr McAsh missed the questions posed on the other thread before it met its untimely end there are some questions that it would be good for him to shed light on:

1) Where is the Jan 19 data from (for what purposes was it collected and from which point was it collected as it is not the same location as the Sept 21 monitoring point)?

2) What methodology was used to arrive at the Sept 21 figure?

3) Why does the EDG Central chart say: the Pre-implementation data for Jan 2019 has been adjusted to September 2019 levels to ensure compatibility and what adjustment took place and why?

4) Why was the decision taken to add the EDG Central monitoring point in Sept 21?

5) When was the Sep 21 monitoring captured - was it at the beginning of the month before the private schools went back or at the end of the month during the fuel crisis?

Many strong views have been expressed about Southwark Council on this forum. Sadly a few of you have made this personal with your comments on some of your councilors. I've posted 1000s of times on the EDF over the last decade or so on numerous issues. I hope that I have never made things personal. Yes provocative at times, yes teasing and using humour, but never personal.

Some have continued attacks, which were terminated by Admin on the LTN thread, here and on other threads. Perhaps you may wish to think about how you have behaved and apologise.

This is not a discussion point, but a statement of fact.

• 3 months later...

Hi CPR Dave and Tiddles

The Southwark Labour manifesto is here: https://www.southwarklabour.com/manifesto2022/. Page 17 discusses clean air and healthy streets.

There is a commitment (#34) to more school streets (timed closures at the start and end of the school day), although most schools in the area already have this. There is also a commitment (#35) to work with local communities to make our streets safer, greener and healthier. This could include a range of measures such safer junctions and crossings, but also potentially low traffic interventions.

I hope that helps.

We had a local hustings last night and it was clear to me that no party in attendance was ruling out further low traffic neighbourhoods, although I understand that the Conservatives (who were absent) will commit to this.

Best wishes

James

You've missed out some crucial words from that quote! The phrase 'across the whole of the borough' refers to the lower charges for green vehicles. It's not committing to a boroughwide CPZ.

That said, I suspect there will be more controlled parking implemented in Southwark. Residents often ask for it and once it's in place they almost never want it removed. I can't promise a boroughwide CPZ though.