Strange visit from the police at 4:30 this morning

PN33

Had a very strange call at the door this morning, 4 police officers and a German Shepherd! They asked if they could come through our house (on Rodwell Road) to get into the garden to gain access to next doors garden. Bleary eyed and not overly articulate we let them in and watched from the upstairs bathroom. They really went at the connecting fence between our garden at the neighbours, with the dog raring to go and eventually they made enough space for it to fit through. The burglar alarm had apparently been going off in the house next door but this seemed a bit much? I was actually a bit annoyed when they left as they let the filthy dog walk back through the house leaving quite a mess and they told me that they couldn't repair what they'd done to the fence through lack of daylight and that we should be able to sort it out today. I asked what it was all about and one officer told me that Rodwell Road was targeted by thieves last night, with many houses being burgled???

Take a picture, explain the story behind it, email it to your MP, your councillor, the local rag, the super at the local constabulary (letting each recipient know which others are receiving it too) and see what happens.

just pop in to dulwich police station and explain, there will be a reference number or something and you can claim back the cost of repairs

they are only doing their job, i think its a good thing that a burglar alarm is responded to so well otherwise what would be the point in having one, and the police must know more about what happens in our area than we do

Curmudgeon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not heard of any break-ins on Rodwell Road tbh

That was part of the reason for me posting, to see if anyone had. Made it all the more strange, as if the policeman knew it was a bit of an over-reaction!

The fence was left repairable it seems and we have repaired it so no harm really done. Just a bit of re-maneuvering of the fence panel and a mop of the kitchen and hallway, so not really grounds for a complaint and I don't really feel entitled to compensation! I always think it's best to leave the police be unless they've been really out of order. Thanks for your suggestions though

Same thing happened to us a while back. Neighbour let the police through with dogs, they totalled the fence, apologised to my neighbour for doing so and said they would pay compensation. My fence so I contacted local police who put me through to some pen-pushing accountants at the Yard who claimed damage was not caused by police, argued and argued, then offered to pay 50% towards the repair, I complained and they then reduced it to 20% and the withdrew it. Needless to say, my neighbour and I won't let them through again unless they give us cash up-front for the damage they'll do!