Theresa May has banned marches for 30 days.

Ridgley

So I didn't misunderstood you. Good

Chippy isn't far wrong tho is he? You have to allow for the simple and misguided admittedly. But as a group to elect to join, collectively, low life scum is pretty accurate. And bears no relationship with a religion or ethnicity. Which is what you did

The problem with groups like the EDL is that they 'appear' to have an identifiable enemy - Islamists - who are as resented and despised by most Muslims as they are by non Muslims; but they themselves - the EDL - are largely non-Muslim.

When the ANL marched against the NF in the 1970s it was because the aims of the NF (and later the BNP) were demonstrably racist. The EDL may be hiding similar racist/anti-Muslim feeling behind their concern over Islamists taking over in Newham and this will persist until/unless the Muslim membership of the EDL increases and/or the Muslim community form their own anti-Islamist organisations (both of which are, imo, unlikely).

An afterthought - The idea of people being forced to behave a certain way in areas of Newham because of a vocal minority saying that they represent the quiet majority is not dissimilar to being in an Irish pub in Kilburn years ago when 'the boys' came around with the collecting tin. Failing to donate and/or stand for the rebel anthem could have serious consequences back then.

Agree with Chippy here. It's worth reading the text of the ECHR.

Article 10 ? Freedom of expression

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

Europeans adopted a convention of qualified rights rather than absolute rights with good reason. Americans remain wedded to absolute rights because of their constitution and the pinko Europeans idea of human rights as the basis for moral authority in a secular age, smacks of godless communism.

Supporting the EDL's right to a voice is one thing.

But as for actually defending them an as organisation - I'm shocked that it's happening on this forum.

If you choose to join a group of violent nationalist yobs, I don't think it's unfair to be labelled as such.

OMG?talk about banging my head against a brick wall!!!! The march was not banned because of the EDL's policies!!!

As for the assertion that "there is a growing problem with Islamification in this country," we'll just have to disagree on that.

The EDL were born from the football casual/hoolie culture - their leader is a convicted football hooligan - it's not just a violent minority. I stand by my statement that they are low life scum.

I wouldn?t phrase a problem as ?growing Islamification? but a ?growing fundamentalism?

Fundamental Christianity for example is a growing problem in the USA ? so I have no reason to doubt that fundamental Islam isn?t making inroads in places too

The fight therefore isn?t with people of a particular faith or colour or country ? but with knucklehead-ism. And the EDL most definitelty are knuckleheads, and are not interested in fighting fundamentalism ? just a particular sort. Which is why they are low-lifes

Exactly, I don't think anything is being islamified.

Sounds to me like a euphemism for areas having lots of muslims in it (read south asians), which is, I'm pretty sure, what's really upsetting them.

Having a few sikhs among their number who are equally opposed to more pakistanis coming into the country doesn't mean they are not racist, just that they know how to take advantage of useful idiots.

As SJ says the real enemy is extremism, in all it's guises as I'm sure norway can appreciate every bit as much as anyone who has suffered islamist terrorism.

Extremism in all its forms needs to be resisted - including creationism in schools, pro-life campaigners, violent animal rights activists, and nationalist politics. And yes, "Islamification" too - if it ever becomes a genuine issue in the UK.

Don't be fooled by the EDL's smokescreen of ethnic diversity.