New Flats At ED Station - Be Warned! (it has a "veneer")

Zak

betternowthanthen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can't believe they tore down the old station

> building, that was once a pleasant garden

> center,what a crime and should not have been

> allowed to happen, councilors have crimes to pay

> for (again) and replaced with a average quality

> boring building of over priced stuffy cramped

> flats looking onto a road full of bus's and

> ambulance's, East dulwich station looks pathetic

> now, wedged up between the bridge and the horrible

> block, gentrification is great hey?

Yes, it was a lovely spot before but the owner of the garden centre couldn't resist cashing in on the land value. Same trend all over London. Another example is Whitten Timber in Peckham, who have sold their plot to developers and renting back half of it, while plastic-clad high-rise "executive apartments" are shoehorned into the other half. Those kinds of new build flats are now plunging in value. Councils shouldn't have been quite so gullible about the housing shortage and the need to build forests of white elephants all over London.

Blackcurrant Wrote:

> betternowthanthen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Can't believe they tore down the old station

> > building, that was once a pleasant garden

> > center,what a crime and should not have been

> > allowed to happen, councilors have crimes to

> pay

> > for (again) and replaced with a average quality

> > boring building of over priced stuffy cramped

> > flats looking onto a road full of bus's and

> > ambulance's, East dulwich station looks

> pathetic

> > now, wedged up between the bridge and the

> horrible

> > block, gentrification is great hey?

>

>

> Yes, it was a lovely spot before but the owner of

> the garden centre couldn't resist cashing in on

> the land value. Same trend all over London.

> Another example is Whitten Timber in Peckham, who

> have sold their plot to developers and renting

> back half of it, while plastic-clad high-rise

> "executive apartments" are shoehorned into the

> other half. Those kinds of new build flats are now

> plunging in value. Councils shouldn't have been

> quite so gullible about the housing shortage and

> the need to build forests of white elephants all

> over London.

I'm not so sure they're plunging (mine hasn't yet) - first time buyers and shared ownership would be the main buyers (and they still have incentives to buy) - the flats falling are the super executive ones worth a million.

Edit: I suppose what I live in is on the cusp of social housing

JohnL Wrote:

> Blackcurrant Wrote:

> -----

> > betternowthanthen Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Can't believe they tore down the old station

> > > building, that was once a pleasant garden

> > > center,what a crime and should not have been

> > > allowed to happen, councilors have crimes to

> > pay

> > > for (again) and replaced with a average

> quality

> > > boring building of over priced stuffy cramped

> > > flats looking onto a road full of bus's and

> > > ambulance's, East dulwich station looks

> > pathetic

> > > now, wedged up between the bridge and the

> > horrible

> > > block, gentrification is great hey?

> >

> >

> > Yes, it was a lovely spot before but the owner

> of

> > the garden centre couldn't resist cashing in on

> > the land value. Same trend all over London.

> > Another example is Whitten Timber in Peckham,

> who

> > have sold their plot to developers and renting

> > back half of it, while plastic-clad high-rise

> > "executive apartments" are shoehorned into the

> > other half. Those kinds of new build flats are

> now

> > plunging in value. Councils shouldn't have been

> > quite so gullible about the housing shortage

> and

> > the need to build forests of white elephants

> all

> > over London.

>

>

> I'm not so sure they're plunging (mine hasn't yet)

> - first time buyers and shared ownership would be

> the main buyers (and they still have incentives to

> buy) - the flats falling are the super executive

> ones worth a million.

>

> Edit: I suppose what I live in is on the cusp of

> social housing

Yes it's the top that's falling, especially the developments marketed abroad. The bottom of the market continued rising a lot longer but I suspect that's flattened off now.

M&S might be compensate for loss of the garden centre to some extent, if that happens..

> Yes, it was a lovely spot before but the owner of

> the garden centre couldn't resist cashing in on

> the land value. Same trend all over London.

> Another example is Whitten Timber in Peckham, who

> have sold their plot to developers and renting

> back half of it, while plastic-clad high-rise

> "executive apartments" are shoehorned into the

> other half. Those kinds of new build flats are now

> plunging in value. Councils shouldn't have been

> quite so gullible about the housing shortage and

> the need to build forests of white elephants all

> over London.

It was Southwark Council that did a deal with Whittens a few years ago, and got them to move along Peckham Hill Street. The vacant space was then used by artists mostly, until Southwark then did a deal with Mountview Musical Theatre school helping them to finance the building soon to be completed next to the library. So many people stop to look and ask if it?s housing, it?s not.

Perhaps only a matter of time that the Whittens site becomes student housing?

• 4 weeks later...
I missed this thread the first time around, but personally I'd be more concerned about the enormous loading bay they are going to put at the front of the building (for M&S) - which from what I can tell is going to eat into a large slice of the pavement outside the station (needs to be able to cater for 11m vehicles)

• 3 weeks later...
The loading bay is being put in at the moment (it's a pain having the path in front of ED station closed for so long while these flats go up!). That pavement is so busy everytime a train comes in from central London at rush hour... it seems crazy to half the depth of it but I guess they have no choice. If the lorries park up the side road they run the risk of a corner being taken off again by the looks of it

Never mind that, I'm concerned that one day someone is going to get hit by traffic as we are all forced into the road to get to the station entrance. Its really dangerous, there should be a temporary path for pedestrians. This has tobe against health and safety laws.

Another example of Southwark being developer led. I was looking at it again earlier waiting for the bus - they appear to have "mended" that damaged corner and put up wooden decorative bits but I just can't get that pretend glued on brick picture out of my head. That bit of narrow pavement is going to be so busy with station commuters and Sainsbury customers - as well as pushchairs etc.

I am really worried about that bit of pavement during the evening rush hour, especially in winter when it's dark. It's far too narrow to take the volume of people exiting the station and turning right. Is the "layby section" for deliveries or will it be being used by busses? It seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Having recently moved out of timber framed brick skinned house built in 2006 (lived in since new) into a fully brick built house built in 2016 to the latest building regulations I can tell you that the timber framed house is much warmer and hence cheaper to heat. It still looks the same as it did when new so I would have no hesitation in buying one again.

• 1 month later...

Zak Wrote:

> In case anyone is thinking of snapping up one of

> the new flats going up next to ED station, take a

> look at the attached picture.

>

> From the outside it looks like they are properly

> built with bricks - as you might expect. But in

> fact the visible brickwork is simply a "brick

> skin", somehow attached to the exterior cladding

> which encases the building.

>

> What you see here is the damage caused by a lorry

> which brushed the side of the building.

>

> They look quite smart, but don't be fooled!

Noticed earlier today that a lorry has again caused damage to the same section of this building.

This must be a concern surely. Quite apart from the look of it and the cheap veneer for the high asking price, the corner of the building is vulnerable. What happens when the M&S lorries start regular deliveries? There will be people actually living in the flats soon and also using the Library - what about their safety? Have any of the Councillors raised this as a safety issue?

Pretty sure this is a private road and the cars have always parked outside the properties the owners live in. The road has been significantly narrowed at the corner, used to be much wider and now the lorries are having issues.

Seem to remember the plans showed space for disabled parking further up the road - no surprises they haven?t been able to squeeze this in.

That junction is now dangerous. My son stopped at the road to wait for me and almost got squashed by a lorry turning left as it's wheels cut across the corner of the pavement because they haven't left enough cleaeance. That coupled with a lorry bay taking up two thirds of the original path is a very poorly conceived (or executed) plan.

bels123 Wrote:

> Pretty sure this is a private road and the cars

> have always parked outside the properties the

> owners live in. The road has been significantly

> narrowed at the corner, used to be much wider and

> now the lorries are having issues.

>

> Seem to remember the plans showed space for

> disabled parking further up the road - no

> surprises they haven?t been able to squeeze this

> in.

Whilst it is good that people are showing this concern, I have not noticed any posts that show concern towards the tyre business that has been there for many many years. His business and future is under threat because of this development. How long before the Council makes it impossible for him to continue .

you are quite right, spider 69, the condition his condition is in is quite grave

his tyre dump represents (and has always been) a grave health and safety risk, not to mention a serious environmental hazard, and may well need to relocate once the population density of the area increases following redevelopment

I'd also suspect that the days of the building-materials warehouse and other little business parks around may also be numbered

Think Spider 69 was saying the opposite?

vilservant Wrote:

> you are quite right, spider 69, the condition his

> condition is in is quite grave

>

> his tyre dump represents (and has always been) a

> grave health and safety risk, not to mention a

> serious environmental hazard, and may well need to

> relocate once the population density of the area

> increases following redevelopment

>

> I'd also suspect that the days of the