Postcode question

Gep

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a property in East Dulwich and just discovered (I obviously don't know the area very well...) that a lot of properties near East Dulwich station have postcode SE15. On the other hand many properties really close to Peckham Rye park have postcode SE22.

I find it all a bit confusing.

I personally don't care, but I have seen many Londoners horrified by the mention of the words "SE15" and "Peckham" and I'm worried I could have problems if I decide to (or I have to) sell the property in the future.

What do the locals think?

Also any advice on which are the nicest streets very welcome! Ideally I'd like to be walking distance from both Peckham Rye station and East Dulwich station, but the first few properties I've seen around Copleston Road were in very messy surroundings (front/back gardens that looked like a bomb had just exploded, a forest of satellite dishes, ...)

Post codes certainly affect Car Insurance..

They are listed on a scale A-F.

A = Good Post code/Low Risk

F = Bad Post code/High Risk

* = Motorbikes need to be locked in a secure garage

SE London

SE 1-2, 4-8, 10-11, 13-19, 21-28 . . . . . . . . . F *

SE 3, 9, 12, 20 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. E *

No difference between SE15 & SE22. Both High risk.

Refer = You need to speak to the car insurance company

Post Code Insr. Ratings here.

Fox

There's nice bits of SE15, not so nice bits of SE22, and vice versa. Choose a place you like and don't be put off by the postcode - houses in SE15 (even those in excellent locations) tend to be slightly cheaper than their SE22 equivalents, but that's probably a good thing. Copleston, Oglander, Ondine roads etc, up towards Bellenden Rd, Choumert Rd, PR station are all very nice. Typically, houses closer to ED station and Goose Green will be marginally more expensive than those towards PR station.

There's been a fair bit of discussion on here before about this, so you might be able to find more views if you do a search.

If there is a price premium/ price penalty; then you will be gaining/ losing by that when you buy - in fact the price differential will very possibly narrow between equivalent premises over time; it is less likely, in my opinion, to widen. Indeed some of the SE15 property prices may go up if/ when travel links to them improve.

Choose somewhere you want to live in, look on your home as just that, not an investment vehicle.

Unless you plan to move quite quickly it will be impossible even to start guessing where property prices will go, by postcode, by street, by house type.

Of more concern might be forecast on interest rate changes, assuming you need a mortgage. Now may not be the time to over extend yourself, unless you can be sure of hyper inflation deflating your real terms debt (happened to me in the 1980s - great!).

Thanks everyone for the replies.

@Penguin68. I wasn't thinking in terms of price, but more on the likelihood of finding buyers or tenants easily. There seems to be still a stigma with the word Peckham, whether justified or unjustified. The problem doesn't exist with Forest Hill where I live at the moment, simply because most people don't have a clue where it is... "no it's not Forest Gate, it's Forest Hill, it exists I swear!" :)

Property prices are still high in Peckham, especially the really nice parts. I'm sure that answers your question doesn't it?

I'm glad Peckham still has a bit of a reputation though (which to me is unjustified). It means posh toffs and annoying trendy types haven't taken over ;-)

A friend of mine is thinking of moving to Nunhead. We went for a walk around today, through the cemetery and then along Evelina Road. Unbelievably - and I did not set it up - complete strangers said hello or 'Afternoon' to us in the cemetery and when walking through the Nunhead Green area people were so friendly. Stopped for a chat with a friend of mine who works in one of the shops along there, and she was able to confirm that people are so helpful and friendly in Nunhead and that where she lives in ED there is not such a feeling of community.

Think outside the post(al) box and come to Nunhead!

I live in Peckham, so I'm biased. But while it does have a remaining stigma among West Enders and the like, I think someone planning to rent or buy in SE London is likely to be more clued up on the minutiae of where is and isn't nice locally.

I actually worked once with someone who thought Peckham was a place they invented for Only Fools & Horses.

Like Peckhamboy said there good parts and bad parts of SE15 & SE22 where I I?ve in The Gardens it has a community feel about it I speak to most of my neighbours and there is a lot of events and community base things that goes on in both post codes very diverse areas good luck.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> she was able to confirm

> that people are so helpful and friendly in Nunhead

> and that where she lives in ED there is not such a

> feeling of community.

>

> Your friend clearly doesn't live in my bit of ED then PR! One of the things that stops me from moving anywhere else is the strong sense of community around me. My experience is that Nunhead's nice enough, but no nicer or friendlier than the ED I live & work in every day.

Fair point of course. I only found out that technically I live in Nunhead myself, being the SE15 side of Peckham Rye park. And of course there is a lot of friendly community spirit in ED. Just as there is in Peckham itself and - well everywhere really! But the little bit of ED she lives in, she claims there isn't much but that there is in Nunhead where she works. The point is, whereever one lives we can only try and be as community minded as we can be and others may join in. The community spirit in Choumert Square for example is fabulous, and that is in Peckham!

I don't think anyone who actually walks around the nicest parts of Pecham Rye would be put off by SE15 or the name "Peckham." Many parts of it are lovelier than sections of East Dulwich, and IMO it is more desireable because of its excellent transport links. (trains to London Bridge, Victoria, St Pancras/Thameslink, plus Overground due to come next year.)

There are lovely roads off Coplestone - Danby, Choumert, Avondale Rise. The whole Bellenden Road area is truly thriving. And Coplestone has its little rough patches but much of it is nice as well. Also check out SE5 - Bromar Road, Grove Hill Road. Denmark Hill station also has more options than E Dulwich station.

IMO, most of East Dulwich, meaning around Lordship Lane between Goose Green and Dulwich Library, is severely overpriced and not terribly convenient. Around Peckham Rye Park can be nice, but also not great for transport.

The parts of Peckham and Camberwell which border Dulwich are more convenient and possibly more desirable than the Southern reaches of SE22. It is true that in these roads, there are more properties which aren't looked after - but things are definitely improving.

Selling the property will probably be a bit harder, partly because they won't show up when people search onine for property in East Dulwich. But when you buy, you can expect a small saving compared with a property over the border.

When we moved into the area we went for Peckham Rye as the poor relation of East Dulwich; if we could have got a house in ED we would have. Funny thing is that now we are able to trade up and have been looking in SE22, we've actually decided it's not for us to settle for poorer transport links and we're sticking further up in the Peckham Rye/just into Camberwell area.

I think it's important to recognise the huuuuuuge difference between living in the Bellenden area of Peckham Rye (which is basically what i'm talking about) and "proper" Peckham. Spend a Saturday morning with cake and coffee in Petit Tout off Bellenden Road and you'll see what I mean.

The roads that people have mentioned already that are just into SE15, but not far from Goose Green are an all-round good bet i'd say. And whilst they may not yet be as pristine as in ED, they have come along way in the 4 yrs i've been here and they are continuing to go in the right direction very quickly.

Oh and when we had the dog show and family day on Peckham Rye a few weeks back, my Mother from Yorkshire remarked that "it's not very errrr... Peckhamy is it?!" A comment which I think 90% of the London population could easily have made, give the mental pictures "Peckham" conjures up.

Yeah and thank god for such an ignorant attitude about Peckham otherwise our lovely Peckham would be overun with twerps :)). I'm already annoyed that Frank's bar has gotten out to the people of Clapham.. grrrr! ;-). I love Peckham just the way it is!