Yapping dogs every evening in Friern Road

russia

Hi,

for the past month there have been dogs yapping at the top end of Friern Road for several hours every evening, the noise seems to be coming from the back garden of one of the houses between 237-245. I don't want to generate slander but am concerned for the dogs, and it is really distressing to listen to constant yapping for 3 hours at a time. Any tips would be appreciated, such as if you know who the owner is, or if there is a really good reason why they leave their dogs out to yap for hours... Many thanks.

Hi I know the owners of the dogs. Dont be concerned for the dogs! They are not in distress. The dogs are just fine. They enjoy yapping at cats and foxes for an hour in the evening. I know the owners always have them in by 8pm, so as not to keep children awake. I will pass on your kind concern though :)Paul

eedee,

Oh for goodness sake. Surely children can cope with the sound of a dog barking and 8pm is hardly late. What with the noise of traffic, areoplanes, sirens, car alarms etc...etc.. that blight our urban soundscape from dawn till dusk, I'm amazed that dogs barking are singled out. I suppose next it'll be birds that tweet too late in the evening....oh wait, I do recall someone complaining about that too.

First mate, the OP referred to it being distressing and I can empathise with that. A dog barking for joy (eg seeing a lead taken off the hook, demanding for a ball to be thrown etc) is fine, as you can hear the happy sound. It's also a variable sound which is why it doesn't irritate. But constant yapping, either through loneliness or barking at wildlife in an attempt to guard the house, tends to contain a distress note that some people recognise. I know I do. It's like hearing a child cry in pain. You want to do something about it and it can be quite distressing/depressing to hear it continue for hours on end.

eedee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why don't the owners take them for a walk/run in

> the eve? 8pm seems quite late for noisy barking in

> a family area where young kids are probably in bed

> by 7.30pm for school morning starts?

Why should they? Just because parents put kids to bed early doesnt mean everyone else has to stop still and shut up. If you expect that, move somewhere remote.

peterstorm,

I would disagree that dogs barking at wildlife are distressed, most likely they are having a great time. I do agree if the dogs really are barking for hours on end that is one thing, but from what another poster has written it sounds as though this is not the case. All of us can get irritated by any number of noises- babies crying, children practicing their musical instruments after school- badly; endless building noises...the list goes on, but there has to be a bit of live and let live.

The dogs are not in distress. They enjoy barking at cats and foxes in the garden. The original poster 'russia' said they were yapping for several hours every evening and then said 3 hours at a time. This is absolutely untrue and a complete lie.

first mate Wrote:

> peterstorm,

>

> I would disagree that dogs barking at wildlife are

> distressed,

You may disagree from your own experience, however, one of my neighbour's dogs gets so upset if a fox comes into their garden that, if not removed from the room from which it can see the fox (big picture window), it works itself up into such a state that it is sick. Doesn't look too happy when that happens.

The most annoying noises are those that are repetitive so dogs barking endlessly can fall into that category, and so can children practicing scales - fortunately the latter rarely continue for that long.

What a snidey poster russia is. Yet even if the above were true, there is sweet fuuck all anyone could do about it, before 11pm. The council will not respond to someone finding it irritating. I suggest taking yourself off for a walk between 7 and 8 preferably along a busy main road.

PeterStorm,

Part of me is tempted to advise that perhaps the dog would not get sick if it were allowed out to see the fox off. It may have a fear of foxes, but far more likely is that it is exhibiting extremely frustrated prey drive- it is literally worked into a frenzy by the sight/smell/noise of the fox which it wants to get to. It may be a territorial thing but I'd bet the former. Is it a terrier type dog perchance? Anyhow, it won't be the prey drive or being territorial that is making it sick but the fact that it cannot act on an extremely powerful urge to do something that is being frustrated. One way of dealing with it is to go out with the dog, so that it is satisfied that the fox has been seen off. Otherwise keep dog away from that window and avoid trigger for frustration and use distraction at foxing hour so that the dog learns to associate the arrival of foxes with fabulous games.

Anyway, you sound a reasonable chap to me so we agree, a bit of give and take all round is all that's needed- dogs left to bark for several hours at a time are most likely very bored and are an animal welfare issue.

Anyway, you sound a reasonable chap to me so we agree, a bit of give and take all round is all that's needed- dogs left to bark for several hours at a time are most likely very bored and are an animal welfare issue.

totally agree.

@ Orlakeily - i'm assuming you're not ACTUALLY Orla Keily. Those bags weren't even cool first time round. (Sorry Orla)

Lukedaisy Wrote:

> What a snidey poster russia is. Yet even if the

> above were true, there is sweet fuuck all anyone

> could do about it, before 11pm. The council will

> not respond to someone finding it irritating. I

> suggest taking yourself off for a walk between 7

> and 8 preferably along a busy main road.

Seems a bit harsh! Do you own the dogs perhaps???

I have to say that I let my dog have a 5-10 minute bark in the evening- he likes to see what other dogs are out there and they all generally join in briefly, but I would not let it go on for longer than that.

I do think dogs get a buzz out of barking, rather like people yelling at football matches. I think fine to let them do a little bit but if you let it go on it can turn into a bad habit.

In terms of the original poster, I'm not sure what to believe at the moment.

Thanks for your varied responses. I should stress that i like dogs and am quite happy for them to bark a bit, and i'm very tolerant of neighbour noise.

However i think Paul K is referring to different dogs! The dogs i hear do yap for up to 3 hours at a time, (i have no reason to lie about anything), and if they are yapping at foxes and cats there must literally be thousands of foxes and cats in their garden! The reason i was concerned for the dogs is that they sound as if they are barking to be let in/ fed/ given attention, and it sounds harrowing.

Another of my neighbours is also very distressed about the dogs and wants to contact the RSPCA.

My intention in posting this originally was to see what advice people may have, and to see if anyone knew the owner- perhaps there is a good reason for it, the owner may be elderly or ill, unable to take the dogs out, etc. As i said originally i don't want to stir up slander as it may be that this person needs help looking after their dogs.

You are not a liar, the dogs you speak of have been driving me up the wall this summer, only i am less sympathetic with the owner than you are. It's not funny having to keep all your doors and windows shut in this heat because some moron subjects the whole neighbourhood to hours of barking.

If the dogs are barking non-stop for three hours at a time that indicates that they are not getting enough interaction etc.. and it is potentially an animal welfare issue. I assume that you have approached the neighbours and asked them why the dogs are being left to bark for so long and explain that it is distressing. If there is no joy I would advise asking Southwark Council to come out an hear it for themselves- I would also record it. I'm not sure that the RSPCA will be of much help in this instance, it would only be if the dogs were being kept outside without food or water that it might become a neglect issue.

Good luck and I hope you can get it sorted.