Eczema cream that actually works?

HollieES

We recently discovered Dermasalve from Skin Salveation. I read a lot about it before trying it. It certainly works for all our family.It has no irritants whatsoever and it comes in a handy dispenser so there's no waste!Definately worth visiting their site, there's loads of useful information about skin care in general.

Visit www.skinsalveation.com

regards

John

Braintree

I use Cetraben for our son, who also had really bad eczema from birth. He is a lot better now, almost clear skin and only need to use hydrocortisone cream when he gets flare ups, which are becoming rarer. With almost 4 years experience I now know that certain foods, drinks and allergens for example grasses and some flowers bring it on, however there are so many variables that it is almost impossible to decipher exactly which one will bring a flare up so I just go along with them as and when they happen. Sometimes even a change in air humidity seems to bring on a flare! I have noticed that on holiday to warm dry climates his skin is much better, and in the winter when his legs and arms are covered up.

I've been through a lot of potions, lotions, creams, steroids, bath additives etc for my daughter who suffers with severe eczema flares all over her body. We are only just now getting it under control with the help of a brilliant dermatology nurse after over 4 years of failed treatments. She now has on off Diprobase (honestly don't know why I trusted it for so long as our daily 'go to' moisturiser) and put us on Doublebase Dayleve gel, this stuff is honestly amazing at helping keep moisture in the skin and not letting any moisture escape which is exactly what eczema needs. It is a world renowned and highly praised moisturiser used by eczema sufferers. Often referred to as the leading moisturiser in the world.

We have rigorous skin regimes to stick to morning and night, including antiseptic bath additives, antiseptic soap substitutes, Dayleve gel and 5 different steroids all the way up to high potency but the Dayleve itself is really helping us not have to cover our daughter in steroid as often as we would have before. I cant believe it wasn't recommended to me before. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially in less severe eczema cases as I believe you would probably see significant differences to the skin after just a few days of use. It should be available in sample sizes to trial as we have a sample tube that my daughter carries around to apply herself during the day, check online or ask your GP.

woah - this is a whole new world to me as daughter just been diagnosed with eczema and given steroid creams. must admit i was just going to use them. however, although the dr said it was impossible to tell what caused it, the info leaflet she gave me talked about internal and external triggers. seems like i'm going to have to do a bit of reading about - can anyone recommend a good website?

• 9 months later...

Just wondering if anyone had any further recommendations for dry, scaly and flaky skin on a 2 year old's face? I think the sun has made it worse. Gp reluctant to prescribe steroid cream, perhaps because whenever I take him for an appointment it's never that bad! Doesn't seem to bother him at all. I've tried lots of things: aveeno, e45, double base, diprobase, papaya cream...

Many thanks!

Haven't read whole thread - just to say I wd push for steroid creams crystal, surprised they haven't offered - T has been given a mild hydrocortisone (1.5%) for delicate areas, and betnovate for the flare ups behind the knees etc - surely they could give you e.g. 0.5 % for his face? That's weird re the sun as usually it's seen as something that can help with eczema, I've been offered phototherapy in the past - wonder if it's more the heat than the sun itself? That's what I tend to find. Also have you tried an antihistamine - T was prescribed cetirizine to help with coughing/hayfever and it seems to help with the eczema too. And am sure you are doing but bath stuff makes a massive difference - you can get Aveeno bath, but oilatum works best for us.

We use Oilatum in the bath (and don't bath all that frequently - certainly not every day), Aveeno cream on prescription for general maintenance, and hydrocortisone cream for flare ups.

It does seem to have got a bit better as my son has got older (he is now 7, and was awful as a baby) - now its just the backs of his knees and the crooks of his arms mostly.

We were prescribed eEpaderm cream for my (9 years old) sons eczema but it made the itching worse, we then moved to Epaderm ointment and it made a huge improvement, have been using it for six months and the eczema, which was whole body is now only in one area. He was also zinc bandaged for five months which really helped get it under control. We are under the care of Dr Higgins Paediatric dermatology at Kings, and she has been fantastic at finding the right solution for his very unusual eczema.

I can highly recommend dermasilk products. Although its not a cream it is brilliant at reducing the signs of eczema within 1 night, we have found. You can buy the face mask for ?19.50 on their website (look it up on google) and I think that is a sound investment if your child has facial eczema that your keen not to treat with steroid or hydrocortisone creams. Try eBay too, sometime cheaper. The products are available on prescription but my GP tells me not in Southwark, unless your at consultant levels it may be explored.

Thanks for all the advice, bizarrely his skin is much much better today?! Will make another Dr appointment and push for steroid cream for flare ups. I've got some bath stuff that I've never used so should try that too.

I have been receiving Dermol Bath Emollient & Aveeno Cream on a regular prescription. The combination has really helped with my elder son's terribly dry skin and eczema.

Just received a letter from GP saying that "emollient bath additives are no longer considered to be a standard part of emollient/moisturising regimes..." and so won't be prescribed for us anymore!

I can however buy over the counter apparently...

2 of my grandchildren had eczema from birth - usual creams and Ointments as already mentioned. Both were given goats milk to drink which improved the condition. Also grandson had soya milk and rice milk which also helped. They are 15 and 10 now and have been rash free since Junior school, although the 10 year old does have the odd flare up. Daughter used to ensure that they did not wear synthetic clothing.

Everyone has such different experiences and things that work for them....maybe we should start an eczema cream rotation and pass on the unused bottles!

For my son, the first thing was cutting out dairy (since he has grown out of that and it is fine now). But his eczema wasn't a patch here or there - his skin was red, raw and looked like he was burnt from head to toe! So there was clearly a problem. We needed to use mild steroid creams to get it under control even after we stopped the dairy.

But since the acute outbreak was under control, my absolute miracle cream is pure Shea Butter. It is cheap as chips if you buy in bulk (and buy unrefined). The downside is that it is very hard and you have to melt it in your hands before it will spread. You can buy refined Shea Butter that smears easily but it is much more expensive. I bought a huge tub of unrefined Shea Butter about 3 years ago and it is only just almost gone.

I also find Sudocrem, weirdly, to be good. If the red patches flare up I instantly start putting Sudocrem then Shea Butter on top several times per day.

If you noticed the problem since the hot weather could he be reacting to the sun cream you're using? I've found Lavera to be very gentle. Or Kielhs makes a face sun cream that is very mild (I have sensitive skin and break out in hives and all sorts at lots of creams but both of these are fine for me).

There is a suncream Lloyds used to always stock - not sure if still do - sunsense I think it is? Pink label, comes as roll on - has worked well with my kids in the past, need to look for it again as son number 2 has much worse eczema than his brother ever had.

Also re shea butter - that is so true, it is v useful if you can get it - there is sometimes a stall at northcross road market. Again, haven't bought in a while so not sure if she is still there. She advised me to warm it up on the radiator (in its wrapping paper) while in the shower/bath before use, good tip!

Ooh also, not a cheap option, but my husband has v sensitive skin and swears by Clinique suncream.

Ultrabase has worked wonders for my daughter - her dermatologist thinks it is a miracle cream. Also avoiding cow milk seems to help. For night time scratch sleeves were amazing and helped make it a lot better very quickly