Opinions of Friern Road

eedee

Hello. We're thinking of buying in Friern Road - the end near the back of St Anthonys and the flats. Is it a nice area to live? Any thoughts re traffic, noise etc please? I know people who live right up the Peckham Rye side (the lower street numbers) of Friern and love it, but was keen to hear from anyone who lives further up. Love the house, just keen to know any road pros/cons and would be grateful for any 'nice' comments...!

We've lived on Friern Road near the Lordship Lane end for two years now and absolutely love it here. It's quiet, the neighbours are lovely and it's well situated for Lordship Lane and the parks. We wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Tyke - which end do you mean? Near Northcross Rd junction or that side?

Bilbob - do you live there or are you generally just trying to put me off ? I noticed this is your first post ;-)

Anyone else want to be helpful? Honest opinions of locals of Friern Rd near St Anthony's really would be appreciated. I live in a friendly mainly quiet road at the moment so was seeking similar...

Interesting first contribution from BilBob there

I've had 8 fantastic years at the high/southern end of Friern Rd - 200 and upwards address.

Very quiet as far as traffic goes (esp in comparison to parallel Barry Rd), good local shops, Plough is immeassurably better as a pub than it was a few years back, the woods, dulwich park and Peckham Rye park all walkable in a few minutes . The library. Plus views into the city

Thanks so much StraferJack - that's kind of you to respond. A local friend did mention about cars speeding over the humps at the 200 + end, from St Anthony's onwards, as it's those smaller speed bumps ...

But selfish speeders aside, I have always loved the idea of Friern Rd, it's just forum talk of late loud parties and dogs barking for hours on end have concerned me a little recently...I guess I would just love to hear reassurance from locals like you...

About 10 years ago the road was so badly kept, pot holes the size of craters caused a lot more noise than the speed bumps do these days!

As for barking dogs and parties, they exist in many, many roads but I never had issues with either. I did hear barking dogs from time to time, but I do that everywhere - it wasn't unusual or an issue.

I don't think I really qualify to give an opinion as I would call us "the middle" of Friern Road, but for what it's worth, we've been here for almost a year now, and absolutely love it. Having Peckham Rye Park at one end of the road and Dulwich park more or less at the other is amazing. We feel close enough to Lordship Lane shops / bars / restaurants, but not too close. It's also great being on the eastern side of ED, as it's so easy to get to useful rail connections - Forest Hill / Honor Oak Park (and surely eventually they've got to extend the 63 there) / Peckham Rye. We also just seem to be surrounded by cafes in every direction - Homemade, The Gardens, The French Cafe, Jacks are all within a 5 to 10 min stroll. Our section of the road has to date been very quiet and peaceful. Hope this helps!

eedee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello. We're thinking of buying in Friern Road -

> the end near the back of St Anthonys and the

> flats. Is it a nice area to live? Any thoughts re

> traffic, noise etc please? I know people who live

> right up the Peckham Rye side (the lower street

> numbers) of Friern and love it, but was keen to

> hear from anyone who lives further up. Love the

> house, just keen to know any road pros/cons and

> would be grateful for any 'nice' comments...!

The gardens on the west side are large and sunny. Some are really stunning. Not so sunny on the east side.

Edit: now I look at google maps, I see the east side is actually SE, and pretty sunny too - but the gardens on west are bigger and get evening sun, if not morning. I think they're the biggest gardens in East Dulwich.

eedee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks v much Norfolk Villas. Are you near the

> Goodrich junction part? Is that the middle? I

> appreciate your comments, many thanks.

No we're near the Underhill junction - maybe more "northern-middle" section, then...

Hi there,

We moved to Friern Road last year and love it! We are up at the top end that I think you are talking about and have never been troubled by parties or dogs yapping for hours. The road itself is quiet - yes you have the school traffic but this is just during the school drop-off/pick-up times. As previous posts have stated you have the best of both worlds with regards to the parks - Peckham or Dulwich and you can easily walk to Lordship Lane. Schools in the close vicinity are great, library just around the corner and the Plough are just a few of the plus points for Friern Road. Having looked around alot of the houses for sale in East Dulwich last year I found the gardens on Friern large in comparison and the houses are bigger than those on the likes of Upland/Dunstans etc. All in all - a good place to live.

Thanks so much for responding purplebanana! If you are a door number above 230 (or thereabouts) and near the Etherow Rd junction that's the area I was asking about.

The school traffic for Goodrich and St Anthony's isn't a problem - as you say it's just at pick up/drop off times.

I agree the houses and gardens are fab - I was keen to hear from locals at that end whether speedy cars, noisy parties or dogs barking endlessly were major issues or just occasional issues!

The road seems really nice so fingers crossed :-). Thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

I lived at the top end of Friern Road a few doors down from Etherow Road for three years, moving this summer, the road is quiet with very little traffic, excellent bus connections and four train stations within a ten minute bus ride. The huge gardens make the houses perfect for families with children and there are two great parks either end of the road. I lived in a shared house with young professionals, we had possibly two parties a year with no complaints from neighbours and I don't recall ever being kept awake by parties or dogs. Good luck!