Hero Security Guard @ Sainsburys

scor46

Yesterday afternoon I watched a man walk out of Sainsburys with two stolen boxed televisions. The thief ran into the car-park and was apprehended by a single security guard, who performed what can only be described as an act of heroism of the highest order ? an act, I have to say, that goes way beyond the call of duty and certainly way beyond his pay-scale. I later found out the Sainsburys security guard was called Sam. This thread is dedicated to a Sam.

I was sitting in Starbucks when I witnessed a man walking out of the middle doors of Sainburys- alarms flashing, sirens going etc ? with a boxed tv in either hand. (Digital tv's have handles so they are easy to carry) He continued out into the carpark and was met by a security guard. The thief, in his late 20's, was as rough as an oinkers backside and equally as ugly. He was tattooed up, well built and was certainly someone you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. As you can imagine, the thief did not want to be stopped by the guard and so ensued what can only be described as a ruckus of the highest order. The security guard wasn't the tallest and he was a little over weight yet he got hold of the thief by the scruff of the neck and refused to let go. The thief started headbutting, punching and kicking the guard and to be honest it was sickening to watch. The two went toe to toe for about 3 minutes until eventually the security guard finally went down ? even then he was still trying to grab hold of the thief. The thief started kicking the guard in the head while he was on the ground. The guard was out cold but the idiot, who was covered in blood still kicked him once more in the head. At this point a couple of us jumped on the guy and wrestled him to the ground, holding him there until the police arrived.

Sam the security guard confronted the maniac on his own ? fought him, giving as good as he got until the degenerate thief finally overpowered him. It was an act of bravery that most people will never witness in their entire lifetime.

Sam the Sainburys security guard, I take my hat off to you sir. You are a hero.

At least the OP and another person did intervene, which isn't what usually happens in such circumstances. All credit to them. I hope that the dodgy geeza goes daahn for an appreciable stretch for a nasty bout of GBH at the very least, especially if the security guard was badly injured.

Good question - and in my own defense, I was sitting in Starbucks using my laptop ? the fight started at the far right hand corner of the carpark. I sort of noticed it then sat back down. You kinda think that once the man had been stopped, all of the guards, managers etc would quickly get involved. It was probably a minute or so later that I looked up to see that it was still going on. I left my laptop on the table and walked over to help the guard. I witnessed some of the punch and kicks as I approached the man. When I got there (2 or 3 minutes after the man had left with the tv's) the guard had just fallen to the ground. I could have got involved earlier I suppose but I didn't realise it was so serious. I didn't want to 'rubberneck' if you get my meaning. You think its been dealt with so you don't get involved.

Not an excuse Kapt. Kopter, just a fact. If I had of realised I would have got there sooner.

Kapt.Kopter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> all praise to Sam, but why did it take three

> minutes for you and another to intervene?

xxxxxxx

That's very unfair.

Nobody knows what they would do in a similar situation.

I would always have said that I would intervene, but I was once on a bus where a young man was attacked by two others and virtually kicked downstairs.

The bus driver did nothing and nor did anyone else.

Instead of going to help I retreated to the back of the bus out of the way.

I'm not proud of this but all I can say is that there is a self-preservation instinct which kicks in, and you might not react in the way you would predict.

We're not all heroes.

And good for Sam, but given that he could have been killed or very badly hurt (and possibly is badly hurt) you might also argue that it would have been preferable to let the guy, who presumably would be caught on CCTV, get away with the televisions and let the police deal with it (once it was apparent that he was violently resisting).

Bravo Sam, and Scor!

It isn't always easy to jump in to these situations. I have come to someone's aid in thge past, only to be told they were mates messing around, and that I should f**k off.

Obviously in this situation, they weren't mates messing around. My question (to no one inparticular) is why the hell wren't the other guards running to help!?!?

K.K, luckily there were cctv cameras in the car park and I?m sure that they will be viewed and used to convict a man of theft and assault. That same video footage will also show how much of a hero Sam the security guard really was and perhaps, if it?s of any interest, how the maniac was eventually wrestled to the floor and how he was held there until the police arrived.

Kapt.Kopter Wrote:

> @ Sue, actually I do know what I'd do, and Ive

> done it before...step in and help.

> I've helped a police officer and I've also stopped

> a mugging.

> If we all walk on by, we get the society we

> deserve.

xxxxxxxx

Whilst this is true, it is also the case that some people who have stepped in to help have ended up dead.

Some of them were the fathers of small children.

Sue Wrote:

> Kapt.Kopter Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > @ Sue, actually I do know what I'd do, and Ive

> > done it before...step in and help.

> > I've helped a police officer and I've also

> stopped

> > a mugging.

> > If we all walk on by, we get the society we

> > deserve.

>

> xxxxxxxx

>

> Whilst this is true, it is also the case that some

> people who have stepped in to help have ended up

> dead.

>

> Some of them were the fathers of small children.

Perhaps Sam is the father of small children. Didn't stop him doing his bit.

Damian H Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > Kapt.Kopter Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > @ Sue, actually I do know what I'd do, and

> Ive

> > > done it before...step in and help.

> > > I've helped a police officer and I've also

> > stopped

> > > a mugging.

> > > If we all walk on by, we get the society we

> > > deserve.

> >

> > xxxxxxxx

> >

> > Whilst this is true, it is also the case that

> some

> > people who have stepped in to help have ended

> up

> > dead.

> >

> > Some of them were the fathers of small

> children.

>

> Perhaps Sam is the father of small children.

> Didn't stop him doing his bit.

xxxxxx

His small children might have regretted him doing his bit if he'd ended up dead.

As it is, it sounds like he could be rather injured.

It's not as if he was saving someone's life - he was stopping someone taking two TVs, who the police would probably have caught later on anyway.

We send young fathers to war Sue. Sam was doing his job and unfortunately like the Police and armed forces, it's a job that requires interaction with people who may be violent. The only question for me here is whether there were any other security guards on duty. I frequently only see one on duty at Sainsburrys and that may be the real issue here, where other staff members are (whilst presumably not being trained as such) expected to help that one security guard.

I sincerely hope that Sam isn't too badly injured and recovers soon.