Totally FREE! E' Dul Cycle Rides: Sundays 9-30am London Pks & Blue Plaques short rides: Dates TBC

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, CW1 - OMG! You poor thing, I hope you recover soon. As part of rehab once on the mend, purchace a large swimming float and find a local pool with a thermal pool (warmer water like the one in Crystal Palace Ctr). This will promote gentle progression. You may wish to start rehab earlier with a body float suit, this allows you to jog in the water upright - this is even less demanding .

ladies... Charlie and Becks, good luck with your 1/2 marathon tomorrow - you will love it!

Vito & Damzel

I will hold back from the ride tomorrow until we can get a lot of hands up in the air. Its one of those things but never mind. Again, this is advance notice to allow you guys to replace for tomorrow ..

Best!

McCabe

• 1 month later...

What an array of Sundays hey - wind, rain, unsettled!?

I'm thinking that this group may be assigned to a Spring to mid Summer project.

I'm now in the process of converting these great projects including fitness to a charity or social enterprise. If you know anything about these area's - please please PM me - I want to make the right decision. Avoid RED tape etc....

I'm committed to keeping activities for FREE, FUN and FITNESS related - specifically Public Health and Community focused.

McCabe

• 6 months later...

Hi Pipsky, Southside and thisislawtts,

Feel free to use this thread, it has some 6,000 hits and has achieved 101 rides in both London and further a field.

I am currently really busy undertaking Personal Training in the Dulwich and ED area so unable to lead these rides at the moment.

** Parks & Plaques **

These are really easy going rides into London parks, and enroute there and back to visit some 'Blue Plaques': Michael Caine, his blue plaque is by Southwark Park - 'Not alot of people know that!' The 'Mayflower' departed to America a few hundred meters away from Michael Caine's plaque, again 'Not alot of people know that'.

** Rides into Kent & Surrey **

I could name a zillion and one rides - they all contain hills but..... think of the tea and cake at Box Hill, or at Down visiting Charles Darwins house, or.... visiting the oldest cycle race location in the world just beyond Toys Hill in Kent. Then, there is another hill that is a combination of long and really really steep that you need on your 'bucket list' to say you have done it.

Requirements for this group are:

* No jumping red lights,

* Hi Viz jacket,

* Water bottle / snack,

* Puncture outfit & basic tools.

Oh yes, and a meet every couple of months to plan the routes and Blue Plaques over a large glass of wine.

Best!

McCabe

I'm keen for both types of rides so hoping someone is keen to lead them. Will be watching this thread with interest.

McCabe - I've been riding to work for over a year now, thanks to you showing me the way! I never would have done it otherwise so thanks once again for making it possible!

Yep, just need a few more to sign up and off it goes again :-) Damzel, I am so pleased to hear you are cycling to work - the 'Old Surrey Canal' is a brilliant route!

For those that wish to join, its totally FREE and there is cake and coffee at the park destination (that bit you have to pay for).

** Blue Plaques **

Where is the Charlie Chaplins BP? If you are heading from the Elephant & Castle along the Wolworth Rd (towards Camberwell), keep your eyes to the LHS by a busy market street.

This is everyones job to work out the parks and the plaques.... its easy going, historic and usually gets you back indoors by lunchtime - and you don't need a shower.

McCabe

If we can get few more, I will set the destination, date, and the Blue Plaques to look out for :-) We could do the 'Jack the Ripper' ride using a really cool route via the 'Old Surrey Canal' with hardly any traffic around.

I'm also looking at setting up some local challenges for hill sprints - its on college Road just past Dulwich College, starting by the toll gate. This will puff all out, its fun, and really local too.

Plant the seed in everyones mind - your legs, gluts, core and upper extremities will have 5-mins of fun.

Best!

McCabe

• 1 year later...

G'day guys,

This group can restart any time, its easy riding, no further than London parks and some blue plaques enroute to incorporate history and knowledge too. One of the rides includes the haunts of 'Jack the Ripper', finishing with tea at Spittlefields.

I'm on hols for 6-weeks albeit I can set a date for this coming or the following Sunday to a close and easy ride to Burgess Park via the old Surrey Canal which is car free.

Best!

McCabe

I think perhaps September would be a good time to restart after the summer hols.

When you head for lunch in the afternoon or at work on Monday, you can talk about the ride, the park, the stories and the famous blue plaques you have cycled by too. And, all for FREE!

This group, as with the Saturday fitness group (on the RYE) is a totally voluntary run project with zero funding and has been since 2007 when this great idea came to me as a fun concept. These are easy going slow rides with you back home by midday on average.

All you need is:

* high viz top + helment

* basic tools in case of a puncture etc

* change for a tea / coffee & snack at the park caf?

* motivation and a bag of fun too!

Best!

McCabe