enjoy

i*Rate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> However, to prove the point, when my wife did buy

> something they actually asked her if she wanted a

> bag. Has anyone heard of a fashion shop that

> does'nt want it's name being carried around the

> street to advertise it? Only if it's not keen to

> have the 'Old Dear', M&S image put about.

I honestly don't believe this was the intention of the shop assistant. I don't think sales assistants usually make that strong a connection between branding and offering a bag - far more likely they were running low on bags and saving them for that reason.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> i*Rate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > However, to prove the point, when my wife did

> buy

> > something they actually asked her if she wanted

> a

> > bag. Has anyone heard of a fashion shop that

> > does'nt want it's name being carried around the

> > street to advertise it? Only if it's not keen

> to

> > have the 'Old Dear', M&S image put about.

>

> I honestly don't believe this was the intention of

> the shop assistant. I don't think sales assistants

> usually make that strong a connection between

> branding and offering a bag - far more likely they

> were running low on bags and saving them for that

> reason.

xxxxxxxx

Quite a lot of environmentally-conscious places these days ask if you want a bag when you buy something.

And East Dulwich has had a high profile "Say NO To Unwanted Bags" campaign.

I get the impression that the person concerned was being over-sensitive - perhaps feeling her age herself that day and therefore relating everything to it?

Its no fun being a sales assistant! I speak from many years of experiance. You're just never sure what reaction a small comment like "hello" is going to get you. There have been times when I wished I had never asked " are you looking for something particular?" as the particular thing they were looking for can only be ordered on adult websites for a certain kind of weirdo...

Sales consultants/assistants are there to help/assist. I always thought its better to let a customer know your around in case they need help rather than to make a customer feel that they are disturbing your day by merely entering the shop...Lets also spare a moment for the hard working sales staff who have to get in 30 mins early every morning and stay behind un paid at the end of the day to ensure all jumpers, t shirts knickers are folded to perfection just so that the customer can rumage through them desperatly looking for their size.

If going into a store makes you feel un easy then shop online.

hi

am sorry to hear of your experiences and i totally agree with you, i often check out the shops down ll and am astonished how many shop assistants ignore me!

i own a clothes shop on bellenden road - fenton walsh, if your after ladies clothes and shoes we can help you, we always greet our customers and offer our assistance but we are not pushy so you dont have to worry about that either.

hope to see you soon

www.fentonwalsh.com

follow us on facebook or twitter fenton walsh

I have to say my East Dulwich shopping experiences are more positive than negative. My top vote would go to Roullier White - I'm a perfume lover and often end up getting into a long chat with one of the assistants in there about fragrance, and they do have a great selection of unusual ones. I also love Dr Boo and Sugar where the staff are also very friendly and helpful.

Yeah to J B shoes too! Great help all round and the staff are fantastic with children, which is a real skill when you are measuring/conjoling/selling to what is, let's face it, a tough crowd (children I mean!) Taking a polaroid of baby's first shoes is a nice touch.

Also thumbs up to Fenton Walsh. They often make a lumpy old lady (me) look rather nice. And no pressure to buy either.

CF Wrote:

> hi

>

> am sorry to hear of your experiences and i totally

> agree with you, i often check out the shops down

> ll and am astonished how many shop assistants

> ignore me!

>

> i own a clothes shop on bellenden road - fenton

a massivo thumbs up for fenton and walsh, nearly always find something in there, and when I don't, they keep smiling and look forward to seeing me again.

It's also just along from the best book shop, review.

> walsh, if your after ladies clothes and shoes we

> can help you, we always greet our customers and

> offer our assistance but we are not pushy so you

> dont have to worry about that either.

>

> hope to see you soon

>

> www.fentonwalsh.com

> follow us on facebook or twitter fenton walsh

Carrie Wrote:

> As far as I know John Barnett have always taken

> polaroids - they certainly were 17 years ago!

xxxxxxx

Hopefully they don't also still X-ray childrens' feet to make sure the shoes fit (a selling point in the fifties :)) )

Hello KalamityKel, sorry, but I think that you are wrong about not being given a bag in a fashion shop. They're usually made of recyclable paper so there's no issue with the environment. Try walking down Oxford Street one day, or maybe ask someone that runs a fashion shop to explain about the bag/advertisement idea.

When YOU reach the big 6-O and beyond, you'll notice these things.

Cheers and no hard feelings.

I really don't think it would ever occur to anyone to not offer a plastic bag because of the 'look' of the customer. I think they were either on an eco drive or as someone suggested just running low on plastic bags. I've worked in retail before (years ago) and often ran low on bags so would start asking people if they wanted one instead of just giving it, it's not uncommon.

For what it's worth I'm 29 and I look at most of the clothes in there and think my Mum (who is nearly 60) would look nice in that. I've only been in there a couple of times and both times the other customers were significantly older than me.

Shopping wise in a quiet shop I like a hello, assistance if I look like I need it, and a goodbye. What really peeves me off is when we exchange hellos, I don't buy anything and say thanks, goodbye as I leave but get no reply! It's rare that happens, and no more in LL than anywhere else.

i*Rate Wrote:

> When YOU reach the big 6-O and beyond, you'll

> notice these things.

>

xxxxxxx

I'm 62 and would be delighted to be able to afford to shop there, bag or not.

I went in there once to look at the price of a coat, and walked straight out again.

Didn't have time to notice whether the assistants were sniggering about my age behind my back.

:))

ETA: I will go into places like Top Shop to look around, and yes I'm aware that almost everybody else is younger, but it's never even crossed my mind, anywhere, ever, that a shop wouldn't want me to be seen carrying their bags because I don't fit their usual customer demographic.

You get asked if you want a bag in all sorts of places - I don't think it is anything to do with age. Otherwise everytime I buy a sandwich from Pret a Manager in town there is this dreadful implication that I'm not good enough to carry a bag from their shop when they ask? No, it's called saving money for the shop.

Of course if they say "would you like a bag for your head" then you might feel legitimately offended.

Also Mrs Robinson is not a young shop - its for the lady with an accommodating wallet and figure. Hence the name, no?

Sue,

My wife and I are a couple of those affluent over 60-year-olds that don't deserve Freedom Passes (according to another thread on the forum)so my wife was able to spend ?50 on a skirt in Mrs R sale. When you spend that sort of money, as a treat on a limited income, you don't expect to have to put a piece of quality clothing in your SNUB bag with the fruit and veg!

Kindest regards - maybe see you at Harrods one day - Pip, pip.

i*Rate Wrote:

When you spend that sort of money, as a

> treat on a limited income, you don't expect to

> have to put a piece of quality clothing in your

> SNUB bag with the fruit and veg!

>

xxxxxxx

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but I thought she was asked if she wanted a bag, not told she couldn't have one?

i*Rate Wrote:

>

>

>When you spend that sort of money, as a

> treat on a limited income, you don't expect to

> have to put a piece of quality clothing in your

> SNUB bag with the fruit and veg!

>

> Kindest regards - maybe see you at Harrods one day

> - Pip, pip.

But i*Rate was your wife actually carrying a SNUB bag at the time? If someone was using a bag that said "Say no to unwanted plastic bags" I would offer them the opportunity to say no to an unwanted plastic bag.

i*Rate Wrote:

> Hello KalamityKel, sorry, but I think that you are

> wrong about not being given a bag in a fashion

> shop. They're usually made of recyclable paper so

> there's no issue with the environment. Try walking

> down Oxford Street one day, or maybe ask someone

> that runs a fashion shop to explain about the

> bag/advertisement idea.

> When YOU reach the big 6-O and beyond, you'll

> notice these things.

>

> Cheers and no hard feelings.

I don't think you mean me I*Rate but certainly no ill feelings :)