Spate of burglaries in East Dulwich

They wrote to us to say the case is without fingerprint, dna or witness evidence. Which misses the salient fact, the guy had my wife's phone and the only way he could have that was having been in our house. There were two of them so there's some kind of question over which of them actually stole the phone. Which to my mind is kind of missing the point.

There were two of them so there's some kind of question over which of them actually stole the phone. Which to my mind is kind of missing the point.

I'm afraid that is very much the point - although it is clear that the balance of probabilities is that one of the two was the burglar (and possibly the other an accomplice) if you cannot demonstrate with proof which one was, then you simply have an individual (albeit in a quite compromising position) who is in possession of a stolen item, but without any proof that they knew the item was stolen. Any half decent brief would ensure that there was no conviction here, which is why the CPS wasn't prepared to waste public money (presecution plus defence costs) in pursuing an unwin-able case. It is very sad for you, but the CPS haven't acted stupidly here.

"albeit in a quite compromising position" That's wonderful understatement Penguin.

Thing stolen in middle of night turns up in pocket of known criminal, miles from home who is hiding under a car. That's not compromising, it's guilt. Maybe he was a nocturnal mechanic who fixes other people's cars for free so as to assuage the guilt he feels when handling stolen goods - which are passed to him by all those people walking the streets of Dulwich at 3am on a Wednesday.

I do heed your point. The CPS should not waste money on cases which can't be won. But that raises the question, how did we get to a situation where there is such a total breakdown in reason that a brief could even suggest that these two were innocent.

How do you 'prove' they didn't just pick it up lying in the road? Generally 'handling' requires a premises (for resale) or a lot more stolen goods than just a phone. Burden of proof - 'beyond reasonable doubt' is what protects us from the state, it also protects some criminals. That is the penalty we pay for freedom from oppressive state action.

pocket of known criminal

This could not be used (and should not be used) in any prosecution - we cannot impute present guilt from past behaviour- thank goodness. 'Lying under a car' sounds like drunkenness - a different offence. We should be very pleased that we live in a society where guilt is a matter of proof, not assumption and inuendo.

Some readers of this post may well be burgled by these guys who have been caught and let off because of reasonable doubt. That's wrong. The premise of reasonable doubt being used to suggest that a perfectly reasonable suspicion (you've got the thing which was stolen in your pocket) is wrong. It in effect suggests that I am wrong for having the suspicion. Or maybe I'm wrong for having the property which someone else wishes to steal.

The law needs to be able to differentiate between protecting us from abuses of power and the need to be able to put two and two together and come up with four.

Penguin. In the space of an hour you've managed to make this sound like I'm in the wrong for thinking these guys are guilty when the evidence suggests that they were very much involved. I too value living in a free and open society and I don't presume to have an answer for this problem but problem it is.

When thieves can steal, get caught in highly compromising positions, and then be let off it's fair that people like me will ask what the law against theft is for. As this case has shown, it is sometimes an opportunity for thieves to steal twice from us - first our property and then our right to justice.

That is unless you're happy to think that they're innocent, in which case I would love to hear how you feel when they come and be innocent in your house.

(edited for typos, and to be a little less antagonistic)

I am not saying they are innocent, I am saying that the law requires that there is proof, not suspicion or innuendo, that they are guilty, beyond reasonable doubt.

There are a multitude of reasons why an individual, who left no forensic evidence at the scene, who was not seen or identified as your burglar, might have had one item stolen from you in their possession. Your belief that they are guilty is not sufficient to convict someone without further evidence.

Stolen goods get passed around very quickly. The CPS recommend prosecution when there is a better than 50% chance of conviction - in this case any good defence brief could suggest sufficient alternative reasons for the known facts (someone in possession of a phone stolen from you found in unusual circumstances) that most juries would not feel comfortable about convicting - recalling that if this person had a criminal past (did he, do you know?) this could not be disclosed to the jury.

The only evidence is circumstantial - and frankly it is not strong. I don't think they are innocent, I have absolutely no idea if they are or are not, but the CPS believed that their prosecutors had a less than even chance of convincing a jury or magistrates that they were. Given the lack of evidence linking them to your home or to the burglary itself (as opposed to one item stolen from you) this is not surprising.

Do not confuse an interest in the iaw being applied fairly and appropriately to a naive belief that everyone who protests their innocence is innocent. Suspicion, even well founded suspicion, must be backed up by hard evidence to convict.

A spike in burglaries or just people talking about more. It's a good point Sue.

Penguin, I concede. My frustration at the CPS's decision, and upset at being burgled is not a good enough reason to compromise the idea that crimes must be proven beyond reasonable doubt for a person to be convicted.

However, were I a dictator things would be different but that's quite unlikely.

There was a spate of burglaries when I lived in Topsham, in Devon, over twenty years ago.

They did a whole row of houses in one night, including mine. I was alone in the house and in bed at the time. I heard noises but luckily didn't go downstairs because I thought I was being paranoid.

I didn't have much to take, but they took the TV and some money from a drawer. Other people had a lot more stolen.

Anyway, my point is, burglaries have always happened, and not just in urban areas. It's horrible when it happens to you, but I'm not sure they are necessarily on the increase round here (unless somebody has the statistics to prove they are).

The double tragedy is these scumbags will probably be on legal aid so that Penguin's learned friends can run rings round commonsense.The middle class might as well give up now the elite at the top looting the system and the scumbags at the bottom preying on the communities that we all live in.

I was burgled a couple of weeks ago, and the police told me there had been a number of burglaries and shed break-ins very recently. Children's bikes seem to have been a target, as well as properties backing onto the Griffin sports club grounds - including a container of bikes at the Velodrome. The burglars come twice: once into the house for my wallet, phones and computer and the next day, into the shed. Another neighbour was burgled during the day, a little over a month ago. I think there's a spate, having had no concerns for five or more years - but I also think these crimes increase during a recession.

Hi all. Just wanted to contribute to this thread. There was another attempted burglary yesterday in East Dulwich. I have a relative that lives on Ashbourne Grove. The burglar tried to break open the front door, succeeded in breaking off the main lock - but was prevented from entering because of a secure top latch. However, he continued to try to jam his way in - but was disturbed by my relative who had heard him. The burglar then run off into the road and jumped into a car and sped off - assume someone was waiting for him in the car. This all happened around 5pm in the afternoon. The police were called.

These low-lifes are determined and ruthless - preying on easy and vulnerable properties in the area. The police will tell you that the majority of break-ins are done by opportunists targeting properties that look empty and badly secured. You have to make it as hard as you can for them. Yes - if they want to really break-in to your property - they will.

Now that the days are shorter and it gets dark so soon - you have to try to think like a burglar. Ask yourself - how would I break-in to my own home if I wanted to? Evaluate your home from the inside and out. Where and what are the weakest points? And what would deter or put you off? A burglar wants to be in and out quick. Spending time trying to force a lock and/or being exposed is bad for them.

Here are some of my tips:

1. Check and double-check all your locks on your doors and windows. Replace any that are old or you think can't do the job. Find a reputable locksmith if you can't do it yourself. Yes I know I good lock is not cheap - but how much does your piece of mind and safety cost? Not to mention your personal possessions?

2. Leave lights on at night in the hall or landing - even when you are at home and have gone to bed. But especially when you go out in the evening and the house is empty. You can buy timer switches if you are going out or away for the weekend or longer.

3. Outside lighting is also a great deterrent. Both at the front and back of your property. Motion-sensitive flood-lights do not cost much these days and can easily be fitted.

4. Close your curtains in your front rooms in the evenings - it always amazes me the number of properties I sometimes walk past in the evenings and I can see straight into the front room and the nice large flat screen TV showing Eastenders or whatever. It's a naive and blatant advert to criminals!

5. If you have a driveway and you are going away on holiday this winter - why not ask a neighbour to use your drive every now again while you are away or even during the daytime if they are home and you are at work - especially if they have two or more cars.

6. Yep, if you can afford one - get an alarm and have CCTV fitted. Even a cheap dummy alarm box or camera is better than nothing. Again you want to sow a seed of doubt and hesitation into a burglar's or would-be burglar's mind.

7. If you buy any high-value electronic purchases - especially now that Xmas is coming - like a computer, laptop, Blu-Ray/DVD player, flat screen TV, etc - dispose of the packaging properly. Don't leave it outside your bins. Again you are advertising you've bought something nice and shiny and often easily portable.

8. If you have a laptop and/or a smart-phone - you can install free tracking software - so in the event of it being stolen you might have an opportunity to track it and help the police recover it. If you have an iPhone, use a PIN to lock it, set it to wipe the memory if it's entered incorrectly 10 times, make a note of it's IMIE code, type: *#06# on any mobile phone. Your carrier can then block the phone from being used in the UK. Yes there are (illegal) ways round this if you are "tech-savvy" but again you are making it hard for them.

9. Personally I would not keep a lot of cash in my home. That's why we have banks, debit and credit cards. Which can quickly and easily be cancelled and replaced.

10. Buy a security marker pen and mark all your easily portable electrical/electrical items with your house number and postcode.

11. When it comes to jewellery - if you have lots - don't keep it all in one box in the same room. Perhaps choose a few low-cost pieces you want to wear for a bit and put the rest away in a safety box in the loft or under a floorboard. I acknowledge it's not foolproof - but again you are making it harder and possibly longer for them to find.

12. Look out for your neighbour's property. And they will look out for yours. Especially if your neighbours are elderly and/or live by themselves.

13. On these forums and any others you may post too - be mindful of the information you post about yourself and your property and possessions - especially when seeking recommendations for work or home services. Never post your address in a open and public thread.

There are other tips I could say - but I've probably bored or insulated most of you. Suffice to say there's no perfect solution - but I believe a spirit of neighbourly community and joint-vigilance is needed. Remember: you are part the overwhelming majority of decent, honest and law-abiding citizens. Don't let this small minority scare you.

And lastly - don't have nightmares.

Dear all,

Just to let you know we were burgled at 3am this morning. They got in through our kitchen window which was open but which we didn't think would open enough to allow anyone in (shows how much we know) and left via the front door taking phones, laptops, wallet and car keys followed by the car.

Police were great but not able to catch the scum who did it.

This was on Derwent Grove.

Just so you know to keep an eye out etc.

Stay safe.

Rick T

In terms of reported stats, one of the best sources of information is following www.police.uk. The area defined as "East Dulwich" (based on my postcode) has trended as follows for burglaries (total reported crimes + ASB in brackets):

December 2010: 46 (430)

January 2011: 61 (504)

February 2011: 47 (471)

March 2011: 49 (529)

April 2011: 37 (572)

May 2011: 53 (617)

June 2011: 56 (593)

July 2011: 61 (597)

August 2011: 77 (554)

September 2011: 62 (456)

I typed in my old postcode from a much "safer" part of London, and the number of crimes were consistently much higher than this.

While these stats are not perfect - as not all crimes may be reported and the severity of each case may differ, it seems burglaries have been regularly around the 50-60 per month for some time. And it should be noted that Septmeber had the lowest number of reported crimes in 2011 - so its not all bad news. August was unusually high for burglaries presumably due to holidays: but as James Barber mentioned - there was also a major arrest in August, and hopefully there have been more in recent months.

No-one is immune, but following simple tips such as those by TigerMountain can help reduce the risk ...

Hi drew,

I'd imagine these stats are for SE22 as local East Dulwich ward Police told me August has 22 burglaries a peak.

We still have free property marking kits - if you live in East Dulwich ward please email me your name, address and contact numbers and will arrange for one to be dropped round to you. And tigerMountain that is great advice - well done.

Thanks James,

Following the record high in August, has there been increased focus by the police or more resources deployed to prevent this crime? Do you know how the numbers were in September and October? Besides the offender caught in August, has there been other recent arrests?

Thanks.

Right James, you just keep believing the police stats, won't you. You're like a stuck record. As for marking kits - horse, bolted. I wish people wouldn't do this stats/marking kits thing every time a burlgary is mentioned, as it doesn't help (I was burgled in Oglander July). I suppose when I posted about my burglary I just wanted to share, as well as warn re people tightening security - the main reason to post burglaries, really. I have to say police and forensics were wonderful. If only they could catch them.

buddug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

As

> for marking kits - horse, bolted. I wish people

> wouldn't do this stats/marking kits thing every

> time a burlgary is mentioned, as it doesn't help.

xxxxxx

It helps some people, surely?

Those who haven't yet marked their stuff and are reminded to do so?

Just because the horse has bolted for some people doesn't mean others shouldn't lock their stable doors :)