Spate of burglaries in East Dulwich

I tend to think that stats aren't really helpful with things like this because so much is relative. Some types of property are less likely to be burgled than others (a flat with very visible front door and windows compared to a house with windows and doors that are off street for example) and ED has rows of residential streets with homes that provide perfect cover for burglars with a demographic for rich pickings (whether true or not).

So when it comes to prevention that has to be born in mind. Think like a burglar (and a professional one at that).....

Burglars will mostly go for the easiest options....an open window...an unlocked door but there have been some cases reported on this forum where an entire window or door has been removed (a hazard of UPVC doors/ windows that 'float' on cavities filled with expandable foam).

Thankfully I've never had my home burgled but I have had a garage burgled. I still tend to think that alarms are the best deterent, after fort knox level locks, but get one that you can use even when you are home and USE IT.

Item in last Friday's South London Press about a serial burglar revealing the list of things that deter him from trying to burgle a house:

- pebbled or shingled patios

- dog and dog warning signs

- alarms or wanring stickers

- well lit presmuses

- anti climb paint

- barrier fencing on gates/walls

- motion sensor lighting

- CCTV camera, dummy or live

- pad sensors at doors/windows

He says he never forced an entry always enterring through open doors or windows.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Item in last Friday's South London Press about a

> serial burglar revealing the list of things that

> deter him from trying to burgle a house:

> - pebbled or shingled patios

> - dog and dog warning signs

> - alarms or wanring stickers

> - well lit presmuses

> - anti climb paint

> - barrier fencing on gates/walls

> - motion sensor lighting

> - CCTV camera, dummy or live

> - pad sensors at doors/windows

>

> He says he never forced an entry always enterring

> through open doors or windows.

Ah the Product of A Southwark Education!?

In regards to our particular burglary, witnessed by our daughter and leading to no prosecution: I have just been speaking to the lawyer at the CPS in charge of this case and basically, it's all down to being unable to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did actually take our property - the balance of probability is just not a concrete enough factor when the principles of british law are to ensure that the innocent are not imprisoned - "We would rather that two guilty men go free than an innocent man go to jail..."

This man will certainly continue to burgle and I can only hope that he slips up enough on one of these occasions to finally put him away.

joom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I can only hope that he slips up enough on one of

> these occasions to finally put him away.

xxxxxx

Let's hope so, and hope also that would help you get closure on this.

Would the CPS (or police) tell you if that was the case?

I've now installed grilles on my kitchen window and extra locks and security, but do i feel any safer? No!

Are these break-ins symtomatic with the breaking down of morals and any sort of community well-being by these particularly shameless, stone hearted individuals.

I don't believe that society is all to blame, i grew up on poor and on a housing estate, it did'nt make me a criminal and wanting to steal at every turn..!

We need to have proper, stronger deterrents that mean something. Even starting from an early age, as that's where many of these life-long, persistent burglars/criminals start. Short sharp shocks, with lengthier prison terms for consistent offenders, with no parole offered at all.

It is really scary when something like this happens...

A year ago, our house got burgled at night, 4 of us asleep and didnt hear a thing, both cars stolen, jewelry (which was very sentimental and expensive) laptop, and ?300 cash :(((

IT was so scary to find our door wide open in the morning knowing that there were strangers in our house, to this day it haunts us.

You must DOUBLE LOCK at ALL times, and leave curtains shut. Get a timer ( you can pick one up cheap from homebase) and get the lights to come on as soon as it gets dark, it helps now its getting dark so early.

IT has become like second nature to us now.

Be Careful :)

Just to reiterate what GinaBean said in the post above. I think I've posted this before, but we were burgled in Feb, two weeks before I was due to give birth. Similiar to GinaBean - asleep, tv, wii, cameras (bought to take pics of baby), memory cards, money, children's bank, car, - hubby had a job interview that day and his bag with stuff for the interview, passport etc taken. I felt sick when I saw the door open, the house felt different to me. Neighbour heard gate go at 4.30 am but thought I was off to hospital to have baby.

The reprocusions lasted months, and when the police found our car 6 months later I wept - they had been driving around with my son's car seat and his stuff in the back.

I am still dealing with insurance stuff and the DVLA who still think we have the car.

It wasn't the missing stuff that upset me - it was my much needed maternity leave before having my baby. I have four files of paperwork connected to it all. My son who was four at the time had nightmares and I dreamt about people crawling in the window.

I too do things differently - double lock, take bags and keys upstairs - in fact I am a bit paranoid about locking up and check, check and recheck. The crime victim group was still running then and came and gave me some good tips too.

As the CID lady said, as least we didn't see them.....

All the best.

Sorry Ginabean to hear about your awful experience. I agree,its more the sentimental aspects of things stolen, rather than the value of the items themselves.

But thanks for the tips on getting a timer from Homebase,i will look into that and put a lamp on a timer switch i think.

With Christmas coming up and alot of empty properties over the period, its more important than ever to keep our homes safe from burglars et al...!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the Christmas and New Year periods,i'm now hearing of numerous thefts from properties and 2 burglaries over the Christmas period on my road.

Its disconcerting that, what should have been a happy time for many families, actually turned into a nightmare and sadness for the kids, when they had their prized Christmas presents stolen.

Thankfully after all the reading tips on this posting about home security, i feel my home is a bit safer now and i urge others to take similar, preventative measures to secure their home.

I think previous offences should be taken into consideration when deciding someone's guilt sometimes. Is the rule of keeping the jury in the dark about previous convictions applied to all cases always?

Can't a probability matrix be created, and thresholds set whereby you are prosecuted or not by numbers? Different thresholds for different crimes? There is still miscarriage of justice even with this rule of no previous to be mentioned in place so the idea that an innocent person may be convicted is not new - just formalise it.

• 3 weeks later...

I definately agree with you that a previous offences should be taken into consideration when standing before a jury - so the jury are given a fuller picture of a criminals character. So many times criminals get away because they are 'briefed' by their Barristers and then dress ultra smart (the only time some ever wear a suit i imagine...!) - they then charm and fool the jury who do not know about their past.

Also i don't believe in parole for 'good behaviour' - 5 years sentence should mean 5 years in prison!.

kitemonkey & Prunella_Gatsby

I reckon you two are on to something - but why stop there?

Might as well go the whole hog and save taxpayers a fortune by eliminating all those expensive police investigations, legal aid bills, trials and appeals by simply imprisoning a randomly-selected proll whenever anyone reports a crime - that'll teach 'em!