Spate of burglaries in East Dulwich

One of the flats in the residential housing building for the blind where I work was broken into on Sunday afternoon, the resident came back just as he had climbed in the window, fortunately the wife could see and scream he jumped out the window and got away before I was called. However we have him on cctv so police may if we are lucky, such a low life stealing from blind people

No the family ok, but if it had just been a lone blind person one wonders if he would have stayed, he was wearing a hoodie but not bothering to have it up since assumed nobody would see him I guess. tall very skinny white guy expect was after drug money got away with ?6

• 3 weeks later...

We have an outbreak of burglaries on Overhill Road and Barry Road.

The Barry Road burglaries are usually ground floor rear sash windows being forced. This is relatively easy to block by installing sash window locks. Even I've installed these and I'm no Mr.DIY. Sash window lock kit usually come witha drill bit. Drill through the cross bars both sashes share. Screw the base in the out cross piece of wood and then screw the bolt through both cross pieces. Repeat twice for each window. Job done.

You can further deter burglaries by using free property marking kit (if you live in East Dulwich ward). Email me and I'll ensure you get a kit ASAP.

In East Dulwich the local Police have suggested night vision kit would help them look for burlars in gardens - so they're obtaining a quote we can then try and fund.

There was some discussion of window locks in this thread: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,537002. Apparently even a couple of these locks in the top side of the window frame weren't adequate against a crowbar if the wood wasn't strong enough. Jeremy suggested a type that goes at the side, that may be better. The URL he linked to is now gone, but here's a picture from the same site, which I think is of that type. What do crime prevention officers say?

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There was some discussion of window locks in this

> thread:

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5

> ,537002. Apparently even a couple of these locks

> in the top side of the window frame weren't

> adequate against a crowbar if the wood wasn't

> strong enough. Jeremy suggested a type that goes

> at the side, that may be better. The URL he

> linked to is now gone, but here's a picture from

> the same site, which I think is of that type.

> What do crime prevention officers say?

xxxxxxx

That looks like the kind of window locks I have.

They are approved by insurance companies (mine anyway) and have the advantage that you can leave sash windows open a little way, either at the top or the bottom, when it's very hot during the Summer and you want to go out whilst (obviously) leaving the house secured.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone .. i live at Lordship Lane near Upland Road, and yesterday 13th someone got into my house and stole more than 2k in electronics (canon cameras, gold & diamond ring, iPod, my rucksack JACO, laptop and phones. I do not know how but there was no break in.. somehow they cut down 2 of my 4 cameras . if anyone who's lives nearby and has camera installed please help us with images. And every one please lock all doors and windows and lets look after each other.

Me and the house mates are all shocked.. I will see an alarm today... take everyone....

Regards

Paulo [email protected]

shaman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No the family ok, but if it had just been a lone

> blind person one wonders if he would have stayed,

> he was wearing a hoodie but not bothering to have

> it up since assumed nobody would see him I guess.

> tall very skinny white guy expect was after drug

> money got away with ?6

On Monday (11th Feb) my neighbour contacted me at 4.30pm to say she had caught a guy matching this description standing on a pot plant in her driveway and looking over our side fence. When she questioned him he said he was looking for his daughters ball which is rubbish. She contacted the police who have told her that this guy exactly matches the description of a prolific burglar they have been after for a while and said to call 999 immediately if I spot him.

I live on Melford Rd.

Hi we were burgled on Saturday night around 7pm, wasn't a surprise as 3 of our neighbours had been done in the last few weeks,but still horrible to have house ransacked and know people had been in there. we are on Overhill road, the lordship lane end. They got in over the fence at the side of the house and smashed the kitchen window. Seems to be between 5-7pm every time and we had left lights on etc.

Hi all... someone came back in my property(Lordship Lane) today and we have found a hat that belongs to the bastard !! i delivered to the police so they might trace him (hopefully) . he or they are not scared of anything i am really sorry that more people are getting their belongs stolen . they took my rucksack and i believe they are using for the other burglaries here is the link if you see a similar one.. its very unique http://www.google.co.uk (JACO BAG)black and white

I am in North Dulwich and we have a lot of burglaries going on here during the past 2 years or so. The last two were on Thursday 7th Feb between 1pm-6pm. One was an elderly neighbour of mine (hes 80 plus) and smashed his back kitchen window and only took his laptop which he relied upon. The other one was a 2 minute walk away where a blood stained tea-towel was left (prob wrapped around their wound) but hopefully the Police can get DNA?

There is usually no Police presence in our area but on Sunday afternoon I noticed a lone Policeman walking around.

Of course they can get dna from the bloodstained tea-towel but what are the police doing to catch these scumbags? They told us they had a very good idea who was responsible for these burglaries (and lets face it they are not on a downward slide) so why are there no arrests? It seems the baddies are at it every bloody day round here. We were told to look in local shops for our stuff. Very helpful.