Spate of burglaries in East Dulwich

You can buy a wireless Yale alarm for about ?120 at ScrewFix. Easy to set up and bloody loud. They can also be programmed to ring your phone if they are triggered then you can call the Police immediately. This does require a bit of work as the alarm pad needs to be wired into a phone socket. If anyone needs any help setting them up then PM me.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised to hear crime so high in ED. Was in the chippie just after Xmas and heard someone's house had been burgled, my conscience resonated then. You don't hear so much of this in Kent where I'm from. I house-sit for a few people I meet through work and friends (it's a nice way to have some space from my houseshare). I'm happy to consider housesitting on a short or long term basis for people who want to nip away for the weekend or go on long hols without the worry. I can provide references and I have a current CRB check - My parents run a post office so I know about security and risk. Happy to look after cats and some other animals too. There are a few other house-sitters on the forum you can find too.

Thanks for threading about these burglaries. Because of these threads I now hide my jewellery, paperwork, camera and laptop away from areas I think potential thieves may look. Paperwork is an important one. My grandad was heartbroken when my nan's birth and death certificates were stollen. We now hide his papers in a secret space where they'll never think to look.

We now hide his papers in a secret space where they'll never think to look.

Can I advise the purchase of a fire-proof safe for vital paperwork etc. Not only will that discourage casual thieves (for most of whom a safe which is properly fixed into a wall/ floor etc. is an obstacle not worth attempting) but also, in the case of accidental fire, vital documents etc. can be preserved.

'Documents' for which the content, not the original is the issue can be scanned and data stored off-site (i.e. in 'clouds') - again this is useful for such things as insurance documents, and even for documents, such as passports, where the original is needed but can be replaced. Actually, cloud storage of passport information is also useful if you are travelling, to avoid loss of documents in transit.

Luckysmile99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm surprised to hear crime so high in ED.

> You don't hear so much of this in Kent where I'm from.

I don't think crime in ED is high generally. There does seem to have been a localised spate of break-ins recently, but crime is unfortunately a downside you have to factor in when choosing to live in a big city.

But the Stats of One Insurance Company indicate that East Dulwich is in the top 20 for burglary

The basis for the validity of these statistics has already been widely discussed here - they are self-reported and are reported by those who are (1) insuring their property (not everyone does this - it tends to reflect relative wealth) and (2) had in the past insured their property (ditto), and (3) considered it worth-while to claim on that insurance, and (4) are sufficiently honest to report this to their insurance company.

For all the districts where the 4 conditions above are true, as regards one insurance company, ED is in the top 20 of districts.

This is not quite the same as saying that it is 'in the top 20' without these conditions.

Most burglary (it is said) occurs in areas quite close to where the burglars themselves live - but these are areas where insuring property (and claiming on that insurance) is anecdotally less frequent.

It is also said to be true that burglaries tend to cluster - so 'hot' areas for burglary in one time period may be cooler in another.

However, relatively wealthy inner-city areas with a high population density are going to attract crime - on the basis that the chances of there being undefended or poorly defended properties readily available are higher than in many other areas.

My house was also burgled this weekend in East Dulwich. We have now secured the front door with new and more secure locks and we have looked at the overall security of the house. I would urge all residents of ED to be security aware and prepared at the moment as there seems to be a very nasty gang on a 'shopping spree'.

• 6 months later...

Us this time (again). Last night, about 9.15pm. Cut through/jemmied off the lock on our side gate, lifted two kids bikes into neighbours side return, & made off with Mr S's bike (not a very exciting or glamorous, or even expensive one. Was 2nd hand when we got it), leaving the newer & more valuable kids bikes oddly. I suspect more to it than bike theft. My suspicion is they were casing us for means of entry down the side return & were scared off by My Mum moving round the house & putting on lights as she went. But who knows?

WHat can I say, other than to repeat the advice for vigilance and careful security as much as possible. B@$!@*ds.

• 2 months later...

Why do people need reminding?

Common sense.

lance_elot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just to remind people to please be careful about

> securing your property and possessions over the

> Xmas period,as alot of people will be away and

> alot of criminals/burglars will be out and about

> prowling the streets.....

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...