20 week scan - baby has kidney problem

pommie

we went for our 20 week scan on tuesday to be told its another girl but also told that one of our baby's kidneys is larger than the other one. They believe there are cysts blocking the tube connecting the kidney to the bowel. This has really worried me although the doctors are going to keep an eye on me. i have to wait another 8 weeks for another scan to see if things have changed for the good or bad. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and what the outcome was.

The doc said they could put a shunt in to relieve this but not sure if they mean whilst im still pregnant or when baby is born.

Cant believe i have to worry for another 8 weeks

Hi, pommie. I haven't experienced this so I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this. It must be really worrying.

I'm not a doctor so obviously I can't give proper medical advice but it sounds like it's quite possible it might clear up on its own--just try to keep that in mind!

good luck.

Hi pommie,

It's awful isn't it.

We went through the same thing with one of ours and, coincidentally, good friend had same thing with her son.

Both children are healthy, happy and have no problems at all now.

I do remember the awful worry all the way through my pregnancy though - you just don't want anything to be wrong with your child do you.

My child was put on precautionary meds (v low dosage of something beginning with t, trem something?)to prevent any kidney infection when born. We recieved excellent treatment (we were with Kings), had a little op at around six months (little! tube poked up inside and up to the kidney which then removed a blockage somewhere en route). suffered no ill effects and was bouncing around as normal that afternoon. We went back for check ups for a couple of years, signed off and no problems at all now.

Friends son went along same route with Great Ormond Street, post birth meds, small op when little. He then had another op when he was about 7 - again now signed off,fit and healthy.

Easy to say but hard to do - keep enjoying your baby, think positive. You and the baby will get good medical treatment and hopefully all will be well.

I would imagine any op would be done once the baby was born - but write a list of questions for your next appointment to make sure you get everything answered, or try calling the hospital and ask if you can have just two mins of someones time over the phone to clarify some things that were said to you at your appointment but that you were not really able to take in at the time.

Wishing you and the baby well.

So sorry you're going through this. No direct experience of kidney problems, but we were told at our anomoly scan with #1 that there was something wrong with the chambers in his brain, which caused much anxiety (and I made the mistake of Googling, which is never a good idea!).

We had another scan 8 weeks later and all was fine, so hopefully you will find you have nothing to worry about.

Take heart from the fact that they're not doing anything for 8 weeks - if it was something they considered really urgent or dangerous to baby they would be taking action now.

Pippa x

Hi Pommie,

I don't have any experience in regards to kidney problems however I recently had my 22 weeks scan and they discovered there is excess amniotic fluid around the baby. There are number of potential causes some more scarier than others but they were unable to pinpoint what the cause is in my case. It may just be one of those things that will right itself. I felt so worried when they told me. The idea that something could be wrong with your baby is devastating and I found myself automatically thinking about whether it was something I had done and feeling angry with my body for somehow failing my baby. I know now that's not true and it's just one of those things that happen. We have to go back at 26 weeks for another scan to check it again.

My advice for you is don't look it up on the internet or if you do only use the nhs site or babycentre.co.uk (i found there information helpful and reassuring). The most reassuring thing I keep being told is that if it was very serious they would be asking to see me earlier than 26 weeks. The fact that they are happy to wait 8 weeks to see you again should be a reassuring sign. For me, I just feel more relaxed about it now. I feel my little one moving and kicking around everyday and I'm hopeful that when we go back at 26 weeks things will be ok. I'll be hoping the same thing for you and your little one.

Good luck.

No direct experience, but have had lots of kids coming through A&E who it's not until asking about other health probs that "oh they've only got one kidney"/"they've got a duplex kidney so take trimethoprim" and seems to not get in their way otherwise.

trimethoprim's an anti biotic that's sometimes given for urine infections and (as was with Vesti's son) can be used at a low dose as a prophylactic to reduce the risk/severity of an infection.

Hi Pommie

So sorry to hear you are going through a traumatic time. At my 20 week anomaly scan I was told my son had a 'golf ball' shadow on his heart and large kidneys and we had his risk of having Downs Syndrome revised from 1:3600 (following his nuchal scan) to 1:200. We had an amniocentesis and were told he didn't have Downs but his kidneys were very large and we would need another scan at 36 weeks. It's so hard not to worry but please please try to be reassured by the fact that they have told you to come back after 8 weeks rather than thinking they need to do something now. When we went back at 36 weeks they said his kidneys were at the large end of the normal scale. They said there was no need to do anything. Nine years later, he's fine but your message reminded me of how worrying pregnancy can be.

Good luck - I hope all goes well for you.

Michele