EDF Cinema

mockney piers

I'm holding my breath in anticipation of a more realistic Taken 3. A former member of the Securitate uses the skills he's learned to travel to the States and rescue his daughter who's been trafficked thee for the purposes of prostitution. In the process he shoots a couple of dozen Americans including a handful of police then pops on the first plane home without any repercussions to worry about.Box office gold I reckon

Haha... yeah there is actually a scene in Taken 2 where he shoots a random policeman dead for no apparent reason, and just says "there was no choice". Fair enough, then.

Anyway, apparently there is actually going to be a Taken 3 - seriously. Although your plot sounds good nashoi, I do hope they're going to send the daughter to Iraq, to rescue her boyfriend who has been kidnapped by Al Qaeda. She will of course wear a burqa as a cunning disguise. Neeson will give her krav maga instruction via smoke signals.

• 3 months later...

Wow. Have finally watched Avatar.

I cannot express on how many levels its awfulness works.

Quite quite staggering.

What was JC (for it is he) trying to achieve. A catharsis of self loathing?

"You're right" those cinema goers they all said, "I will take down my flag and stop sporting a yellow thingy" upon reflection "for this war on terror that we thought was righteous IS just like the genocide of the native people that we also inflicted, my country is predicated on merciless self interest and racist destruction of all other cultures, I'd commit seppuku if I wasn't such a fucking redneck hick that I'd have no idea what it meant, and those marines, they can't possibly really say things like "get some" except of course in all those films where they do and it's cool, like what those films JC used to make that made me feel better about myself....and the English, aren't they just awful, cos they were the real bad guys in this of course, arrogant rugby winning sods.....

On a scale of 1 to 10, but with a figure not exceeding 3, how much are people looking forward to Disney's Star Wars films?

Ooh, scripted by the chap that gave us X-Men the last stand, Mr & Mrs Smith and a Guy Ritchiew Film. Can't wait.

Still, it could be made by Uwe Boll and it'd still be better than the prequels.

It's not like they have a lot to live-up to.. the last three were universally abysmal.

George Lucas also deserves a kick in the nuts for his pointless tampering RE the original three, which made them look dated within ten seconds - in a way the original theatrical releases never did.

Saw 'Django' recently too.

Report:

N-Word - can't see why you could complain given the context, but there is a revelry in it.

Violence level - cartoonish but strangely pointless.

Generally, it was enjoyable enough on a superficial level - but completely hollow on the inside, more so even than his other efforts. Perhaps the laughable claim (made by QT) that this film has 'something to say' that is to blame for me feeling this. There were some amusing bits. There were some bits that dragged. It's really bloody long, but I have to say I made it to the end without too much shifting in my seat. The script was underwhelming, which was a bit of a disappointment. It picks-up when Leo and Samuel L appear.

Think 'series of movie trailers linked by meandering plot and exploding blood bags' and you have it.

One would assume that at least one or 2 of the original characters will have to appear at least in chapter 7 (Luke, Han, Leia), will be interesting to see whether the original actors could be convinced to make an appearance. Mark Hamill would surely love the chance to redeem himself after his portrayal of Cock-Knocker in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back!

As has been said, after episodes 1-3, these don't have a lot to live up to. Revenge of the sith could and should have been so good (because we all wanted to see the transformation to Vader), but it just wasn't.

If they get the original cast back, they would probably be worth watching. Mark Hamill may need to get in shape first.

One of the things that really annoyed me about the prequels (other than the awful acting, stupid plots, and terrible characters) was the general look of the films and the unrealistic CGI. They need to get back to using physical sets and scale models.

I guess Star Trek has shown you can revitalise a franchise with a new cast, and it somehow managed to shed the pompous self importnace it embraced from Next-Gen onwards.

There's certainly potential and god knows it's best that Lucas has gone given how much he farted on about the integrity of the IP, before a)ruining everything, then b)selling rights to the IP to absolutely everyone, yoda selling phones ?!

I quite like the idea of a film with the old cast though.

a post mid-life crisis Luke getting on a scout bike to the shops and giving himself a hernia, a haggard and embittered man eating leia all mutton dressed as lamb, Han saying 'it's quiet, too quiet' alot...

"One of the things that really annoyed me about the prequels (other than the awful acting, stupid plots, and terrible characters) was the general look of the films and the unrealistic CGI. They need to get back to using physical sets and scale models."

^^^ This!

RE: Star Trek, I admit to being (at the time) a big fan of Next Gen & DS9, but the films with the next gen crew were basically a bit crap, and the latest film with the young Kirk, Spock & Co definitely breathed new life in to it. One would assume that chapter 7 will have to move the timeline forward though.

Harrison Ford was up for revisiting Indie not long ago, so can't see why he wouldn't be up for revisiting Han Solo. Obviously Chewie and the droids will be about.