EDF Cinema

mockney piers

No question on that point paragon - it is what it is... bleak as anything. But slow and bleak as it is I was completely pulled in from the get go - it looks completely stunning and the sheer enormity of the grim situation just begs questions (which the film doesn't seek to answer for the most part)

But if someone said they hated or just didn't like it I wouldn't be surprised

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Last night caught Juno on Channel 4.Marvellous.

> Great writing keeps it from being the standard

> saccharine rom-com fare who's conventions it more

> or less follows, well acted and brilliantly cast.

Try Youth in Revolt, most would say it is Juno's weaker younger brother and Cera is typecasting himself playing too many of these kind of parts. But I really enjoyed it.

I was watching Wu Tang v Ninja this afternoon with my 8 month old (you're never too old to start I say) and was struck by the facial similarity between arch villain Abbot White (played by Jack Long) and Alan Partridge. It's absolutely uncanny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3pv7kibtMw

check it from about 7:10 onwards

Only the crazy golden era of Hong Kong cinema can have a gold lam? ninja baddie and one with a hitler moustache drawn on in felt-tip, marvellous!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Watched Tamara Drewe last week. It was really funny, witty, playful and with lots of literary/cultural references. If you are a self effacing Guardian reading Radio 4 listener then you'll love it. Lots of references to Thomas Hardy and Far from the madding crowd, which I just finished reading and discussing at the Green & Blue book club.

• 1 month later...

I watched Treacle jr. last night

Not on general release yet but there was a q&a with the director Jaimie Thraves at the Mag last night

Shot in and around East Dulwich and Herne Hill, I wasn't sure what to expect but it was fantastic. Aidan Gillen normally plays "cool" but here he is as exposed and open as any character I've seen on film for a long time

and the rating on IMDB is one of the highest I've seen - 9.3

so it's looking for distribution before he looks at the DVD market but keen an eye out for it

I know, I know

To be fair, no it doesn?t go out of it?s way to show LL in anything other than a realistic light ? main character is a newly homeless guy who gets attacked in Peckham Rye park and does a lot of wandering around at the beginning. I don?t think any estate agents will be using footage as a selling point

I've just got back from watching Monsters at the Ritzy. The British film maker Gareth Edwards directed, wrote, edited and created all the special effects with a budget of just $150,000 and just two professional actors (everyone else being locals). The result is a beautifully shot, engaging, arty, sci-fi road movie, if that doesn't sound too confused. Well worth the trip, if only to see what can be achieved with a small budget and a big imagination.

It's a road movie set 6 years after alien life has been discovered and brought back to earth, hence the sci-fi bit. The alien life just provides the backdrop to the movie, it's not Independence Day or War of the Worlds. As to what a road movie is you'll find a comprehensive definition here.

• 1 month later...

Caught up with a couple of 2009 films in the last week or so

Adventureland - set in s small town amusement park in the 80s - that IS my childhood. It's a small film but I liked it a lot with some nice performances, including Bella from the twiglet films

The Informant - Matt Damon in decidedly-non Bourne like role. Based on true story of price-fixing in corporate food corps it was worth a look but the metacritic/imdb average of mid-is 6/10 is about right. Set in the early 90s for large part it looks like the 70's tho'