Bus route 12

moz

The double decker carries far fewer passengers than the Bendy Bus. It is OK if you are boarding a double decker number 12 on Barry Road, but by the time the bus reaches Camberwell, or even before, it will be full to capacity. The Bendy Bus does have draw backs in that they have to withdraw it from Barry Road when it is snowing because it jackknifes when it tries to turn into Ethrow Street, and a number of cars there have been damaged. But I for one will miss the Bendy Bus and as for the newly designed one.....no comment!

ibilly99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Always try and avoid the 12 whenever I can - full

> of low lifes.

Yes, can be pretty minging. Hopefully the new buses will cut down on the fare dodging lowlife element.

On the pics, what is the metal bar for on the top corner of the bus? Looks like some sort of bumper?..

Willard Wrote:

> On the pics, what is the metal bar for on the top

> corner of the bus? Looks like some sort of

> bumper?..

You'll see them on most double decker buses. They're for knocking branches out of the way so that they don't whack into the front window.

As a cyclist, I can't wait to get rid of the bendy buses - there are a few times where the driver overtakes and then pulls back in too early since he's not as aware of his rear end as he would be with a regular bus.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Customer:- This Bus is 15 minutes late.. I don't

> know why you bother to print Time Tables...

>

> TFL:- If we did not print Time Tables, you would

> never know the bus was 15 minutes late.

>

> Fox.

this reminds me of the tale of a Derbyshire bus timetable for the '70s which was a glittering example of smart timekeeping, apart from the fact it didn't allow time for the bus to stop to pick up passengers.

and p.s. the main advantage of the bendies is boarding time because of the three sets of doors. They are rather nice to ride on, apart from the other people on them, but hopeless for London traffic.

As a cyclist I too can't wait to see the back of them.

The New Bus For London or whatever it's called will only be relatively small numbers to start with and so only on some routes.

I find the bendy buses scary , crowded and dirty. Yes They are quick to board and disembark, Yesterday I watched as several people took advantage of this by not paying. And you cant tell me that scruffy young lads travelling at midday have season tickets - . They are scary as they get so crowded and all sorts of types, low life druggies and even Civil Servants going to Whitehall travel on the 12. Minor conflabs break out often, I've only seen one real fight but it has put me off using it to commute. I hope the old DDs are ok though they have far fewer downstairs seats. They are going to be running every 4 minutes - I hope this continues so we should able able to get on. I can save ?600 a year by only using buses to commute. Apparently there's a ?4 Billion surplus in TFL though Bozzo Johnson is acting as if the coffers are bare.

Just had email confirmation that the no 12 will be a double decker from Saturday 5th November. They will run more frequently Monday - Friday and Sunday. Although the bendy bus was a nightmare for cyclists and was a stressful ride, it did mean that people got on and off quickly and that you could actually get on the bus. I'm dreading a return to the old days when you had to wait for bus after bus to get on it, or travel back up the line. So dispiriting. I am hoping that the new bus doesn't shake my house so much (I live on Barry rd).

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> What date exactly are they going ?

The new buses will be used from 5th November onwards, so probably the 4th will be their last day...rip bendy buses!