No buses Cheltenham/Ivydale road Nov 15th to Jan 2012 - resurfacing works

The Minkey

I live in Nunhead and had no reason to suspect its existence until I did a search looking for more info about these roadworks, lol..

Should you be checking this thread, Renata, the bus stop out of action signs finally went up two/three days ago. There is now an official temp bus stop at the Cheltenham Rd end of Stuart Rd.

Hi DD - I just read that whole thread you linked to, and there was even less detail, lol. Works due to start in October, Ivydale works to follow Cheltenham. I stand by my original assertion, the communication has been woeful. Whether or not the South East Central site contains relevant information, it's surely not good enough that people affected by the works should be expected to stumble across this information on an internet forum, particularly as there are many older people who aren't online at all. And not good enough it took TFL, or whoever was responsible for the signs at bus stops, to delay putting up signs on the bus stops until the buses had already been on diversion for a week or so. Not having a go at you, just surprised that so little consideration was given to people dependant on public transport. Perhaps it's because I am a project manager and we always factor in communication to the end user to minimise the impact of any disruption caused by our work.

I also wonder whether the residents of Cheltenham and Ivydale Rds who recieved letters one week prior to the scheduled start date recieved any earlier notification? Feeling rather sorry for the people on Cheltenham who have the builders in at the moment, I assume the same people whose skip ended up within the work zone when the barriers went up..

• 1 month later...

A heads up - the 484 and 343 buses are now going along Cheltenham and then up to Brenchley Gardens and then to St Norbert Road. So they are stopping at Surrey road again, not going along Inverton and not stopping at St Antony and St Silas.

They hadn't changed all the diversion signs this morning and the Surrey road stop still has its 'out of use' sign on, but I got on the 484 there this morning.

Hmm... the 484's and 343's were going both ways past Surrey road stop this morning around 8am. It sounds as though you have to take a gamble at the moment as to which bus stop to try! What fun.... agree with The Minkey that he lack of communication has been pretty abysmal.

What a shambles!

People waiting at the Inverton Rd temporary bus stop for buses that were never going to arrive,

Others, me included standing on the corner of Stuart Rd, ready to run in whatever direction the buses appeared

from!

Coming back from Peckham this afternoon, I was on a 343 directly behind a 484. The 484 carried straight on down

Cheltenham Rd, whereas my bus turned left into Stuart Rd.

Both buses are run by the same company. Are the drivers not told in advance which route they are supposed to

follow or do they just please themselves?

And if the diversion has ended, why are the bus stops still displaying 'not in use signs?'

The drivers receive instructions from TfL as to the agreed diversion whatever company runs the route. I don't know the indivdual circumstances but sometimes work can finish ahead of schedule and TfL is not told, or the Response van has not had a chance to re-open the stops, for example might have been tasked to an accident. If buses are back to line of route buses would be advised by radio. I appreciate that with stops closed this can be confusing to passengers however, with limited resources until someone can attend stops will remain closed.

As I say I am only using an example of what can happen.

aquarius moon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a shambles!

>

> People waiting at the Inverton Rd temporary bus

> stop for buses that were never going to arrive,

> Others, me included standing on the corner of

> Stuart Rd, ready to run in whatever direction the

> buses appeared

> from!

>

> Coming back from Peckham this afternoon, I was on

> a 343 directly behind a 484. The 484 carried

> straight on down

> Cheltenham Rd, whereas my bus turned left into

> Stuart Rd.

>

> Both buses are run by the same company. Are the

> drivers not told in advance which route they are

> supposed to

> follow or do they just please themselves?

>

> And if the diversion has ended, why are the bus

> stops still displaying 'not in use signs?'

• 4 weeks later...