Dulwich Leisure Centre - Axess Membership Unwaged

faithoj

I went into the DLC and enquired about the Axess membership, normal price for residents ?50.10, but as I wont be working in January I was going to choose the Unwaged option for ?3, however the documentation you require is proof of benefits. I do not plan to claim any benefits (and will hopefully find another role in the new year at some point), so shouldn't I be entitle to the Unwaged rate? Well not according to the the staff in the DLC, they even suggested I sign up for benefit just to get the discount? Can anyone please advise?

thx

What are they supposed to do, take it on trust that you're not working? In which case vast numbers of people would cheat the system, sadly, and claim the unwaged rate when they were actually working.

Besides, I would advise you to register for JSA if you're entitled to it - a) you'll get a very small amount of money to tide you over till you find another job b) it'll keep your NI contributions going, important when it comes to retirement, c) you'll give the government a more realistic picture of the unemployment figures.

Twirly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What are they supposed to do, take it on trust

> that you're not working? In which case vast

> numbers of people would cheat the system, sadly,

> and claim the unwaged rate when they were actually

> working.

Absolutely Twirly.

It is merely foolish not to claim JSA if you're unemployed, especially when it comes to your NI contributions. You've paid into the pot so swallow your pride and take it and then you can get the unwaged discount!

In fairness I would probably not be entitled to JSA as I am frugal and save when I'm working as I do temping and expect that i will be out of work at certains times...

I am completely happy to provide proof of being unwaged - but the point really is whether the discount if for the 'Unwaged' or only for people on state benefits. If it is the forma then they should be able to specify what i need to produce to be unwaged (not on state benefits)

I suppose it comes down to whether you are unwaged through choice or not. The attitude is probably taken that unless you are actively seeking work (and so on JSA) or unable to work because of illness, then you've made the decision to be unwaged. Of course this isn't the situation for many but they will have to draw a line somewhere.

JSA is normally paid on the basis of contribution (NI) rather than means tested so is often not considered a 'benefit'. ie you can't get free eye tests if you're only on JSA.

When you're not working, even if you have got some savings, there is a huge difference between ?50 and ?3 so it's good that Southwark merely wants evidence of unwaged status via JSA to qualify.

If you have enough not to even want to claim JSA then I think you've chosen not to have the discount. (Although there are some for whom that 'choice' may be for other reasons such as caring etc that may not seem so fair)

I work as an Interim Manager - some days I'm unwaged, some days I'm not. If I pick up a good asssignment i can be, effectively, "waged" for several months and then out networking and unwaged while I seek the next assignment. In the worst part of 2008/09 the networking and seeking was fairly prolonged - but like faithoj I didn't seek JSA or other allowances as I had my savings. Tho' equally, I didn't seek the other benefits either of low cost gym access.

Not really sure about the argument - but a straight answer might be a bank statement evidencing outgoings but no incomings?

Marmora Man Wrote:

> Not really sure about the argument - but a

> straight answer might be a bank statement

> evidencing outgoings but no incomings?

Whilst that does seem a neat solution, why assume that someone only has one bank account? They could have lots of income coming into one account, and only outgoings out of another (initially well funded) account. And over what period of time would they have to have no income into that account? It would be too much of a minefield.

I don't know how it works, but I suspect that if someone joins as an unwaged member, that the money to subsidise that membership must come from central government somehow.

I understand you sound you're doing all of the right things and maybe feel a bit annoyed but honestly when you live on JSA it's pretty bloody hard and any discounts you can get just make life that bit more bearable. I think you can also actually have some savings to claim although there is a cut off point.

Unfortunately that's the downside of temping- sometimes you're working, sometimes you're not. Personally I hated the uncertainty of it all and wouldn't ever go back to it. If it suits you then great but then you kind of have to accept the downsides, otherwise forget about it and try to find a permanant position. I understand though from doing temping myself that whilst one day you might not be working, the next you may be so you're unwaged status is too changeable to entitle you to any discounts.

Hubby is under pension age and retired on medical grounds for a life long illness which has periods of 'normality' coupled with periods where he cannot function. Could not get ESA as on the day he was medically examined he was 'well'.

Signed on for JSA - but as he gets a occupational pension of ?3 more pw than JSA - does not qualify. He signs on to have his NI contributions paid. Just has a card with details of his signing on and a letter to say he is not entitled to benefits. When well- goes swimming at least 5 times a week. Currently using his card which he purchased whilst in work. It would be interesting if he would qualify for ?3 membership

There are 2 sorts of JSA - contributions based (medium term, not means tested and nothing to do with how much savings you have)which depends on you having made sufficient NI contributions and income based JSA (means tested, less than 16k savings). Both HIDEOUS to claim and result in fortnightly ritual humiliation sessions at Peckham job centre and a step into a world of self-esteem corrosion.

Hubby applied for contributions based JSA but his occupational pension puts him ?3 a week over the limit. When I last signed on (many years ago) I had a compensation pension of ?80 pw but still got Unemployment benefit for 3 months.

I read up the new rules for JSA even if contribution based JSA, you are subject to 'unearned income' rules.

I'm sorry but this is terrible advice. Under no circumstances should you claim JSA if you can avoid it. The fact that you are on JSA is noted on your credit file and can make it difficult in future if you are trying to apply for a large mortgage.

Lenders opinion is that if you are on JSA you are more likely to be on it again in the future an therefore you are not an attractive person to lend to as they require you to have regular high income.

It's unfair yes, but true none-the-less.

Wrote:

> Twirly Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What are they supposed to do, take it on trust

> > that you're not working? In which case vast

> > numbers of people would cheat the system,

> sadly,

> > and claim the unwaged rate when they were

> actually

> > working.

>

> Absolutely Twirly.

>

> It is merely foolish not to claim JSA if you're

> unemployed, especially when it comes to your NI

> contributions. You've paid into the pot so swallow

> your pride and take it and then you can get the

> unwaged discount!

Fair play to you if you're not going to seek job seekers allowance. And well done for saving up, there's lots of people who would take the state benefit whether they need it or not (see child benefit for the millions irrespective of need) but then by the same rule don't expect the discount which is a tax payer funded benefit.

Good luck with the job hunting!