Witnesses required for serious attempted assault in Peckham Rye Park October 9th

Steve32

Thread locked on request - Admin

Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

On October 9th at approximately 1pm, I was chased aggressively and threatened repeatedly by a man near 'The Round' caf? in Peckham Rye park, near the kids play area and onto the rugby fields.

The man was in his 40's - quite tall, short hair, dark, rough clothes (hoddie, baggy trousers, trainers). He was quite distinctive with an aggressive demeanour, shouting loudly and holding an orange/red object.

He chased me across the park, starting from near the caf? where lots of people would have been eating or looking after their kids. He chased me through the rugby field to the far posts at which I called the police whilst still be chased. He was very aggressive and shouted multiple threats which witnesses may have heard.

After a bit of break, he chased me again - this time towards the caf? g/clockhouse area of Peckham rye road. I was almost cornered but managed to get away.

The police came (he of course disappeared) but I now know the police didn't interview the multiple witnesses in the caf? area. I went back to the caf? at lunchtime today and was able to get staff at the caf? to agree to witness statements.

However, there must have been people eating/drinking in the caf? around this time or walking through the park who would have seen this taking place.

Example - there was a woman with a toddler walking a bit behind her. as I was being chased in their direction, I screamed at her to pick up the kid and make sure the kid was safe. This woman must remember.

Example - There were two gentleman who I ran past just opposite barry road - I was panicking and asked them for help - I believe you later spoke to the perpetrator in question.

There will be others around. I believe there are many witnesses to this attack which can come forward. Please do this - the police failed in their duties to conduct interviews at witnesses at the caf? in question.

if you have anything to report, please message me or send a report to [email protected] - an email account I've set up to receive evidence.

just to add - I was wearing a black leather jacket if that helps remind anyone of the incident.

additionally, there was an Asian lady who approached me outside the caf? saying she'd seen a lot of the incident and was asking if I was ok. I responded that the police were on their way. If she could come forward that would be helpful.

The other side of this story is equally unsettling.

A woman walking her cocker spaniel off the lead near to the Skate Park had to pull her dog away from a man who was making an enormous fuss about being bothered by her dog, which had barked at him. She took the dog away on a lead.

The man followed her, taking pictures on his mobile phone, then appeared to head through the wooded area to cut her off on her route down the path.

She was understandably frightened. She felt like she was now being stalked by a complete stranger. So she rang her partner, and headed back towards the cafe. Her partner confronted the man, and the following chase ensued.

Have to say, if anyone threatened my wife with that kind of creepy behaviour, I would have done exactly the same.

Just to reiterate point of this thread - I just want witnesses to come forward. I spent a lot of yesterday chasing this with some success. I believe the man in question is an extreme threat to the public and should be in jail.

What can people be afraid of? After all, if there is another side to this story, then surely witnesses would be a good thing?

So, please can potential witnesses to this incident come forward?

Steve - you have my sympathy for what was obviously a traumatic event for you. However I'd have to say that I'm somewhat disheartened that anyone, but especially someone who is "consulting for the United Nations" has such blatant prejudices.

i.e.

You can tell pretty instantly the sort of 'pond scum' this man in particular was. I'd comfortably bet my mortgage that this man has previous convictions.

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> How can you tell someone's got an Oxbridge

> education? They'll tell you within the first

> thirty seconds of meeting you.

To be fair, rendelharris, that's absolutely untrue.

Hi

Thanks for commenting.

I do apologise for the comments made above relating to my

As Jules-and-Boo has said, i've been subject to trauma. I've been very upset the past 48 hours, and am pretty scared. It's the first time in my life i've been subject to something like this. It happened very close to my own home in a park i visit most days when i'm at home (i often work at home), so this is genuinely frightening. I'm also very, very angry at the police so far for failing to take witness statements and for missing a pre-arranged appointment yesterday. This is taking it's toll.

However, prejudice is wrong so i should not have put the comments the way i did.

The reason i'm desperate for witnesses as otherwise this may just be 'he said-he said' sort of thing which makes progress impossible. If it does come down to 'he said-he said' situation, i dont' deny that i want previous records etc taken into account.

Steve32 - was this (or could this be) you?

Brian Tee said ... "A woman walking her cocker spaniel off the lead near to the Skate Park had to pull her dog away from a man who was making an enormous fuss about being bothered by her dog, which had barked at him. She took the dog away on a lead.

The man followed her, taking pictures on his mobile phone, then appeared to head through the wooded area to cut her off on her route down the path."

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > "I'm an oxford graduate who's currently

> consulting

> > for the United Nations" Hmm.

>

> How can you tell someone's got an Oxbridge

> education? They'll tell you within the first

> thirty seconds of meeting you.

Ha ha! Very good!

As someone who has spent many years working almost exclusively with Oxbridge educated people, that has a ring of truth about it (although it doesn't apply to everyone, obviously)!

That is definitely him and despite his assertions, he was the aggressor. The police attended and it seems his behavior was completely out of order. He has since taken to all forms of social media to harass a local family. Disgusting behavior and an excellent example of using social media as a bullying tool.

For interest/balance, this is what the other party says on Facebook (I feel it's OK to share here as this was a post open to the public, but I've excluded her name to be on the safe side):

"I am the woman in the post and yes the man who posted this is the aggressor. I have commented on fopr on what actually happened. There is no police investigation and my dog did not attack him as he is making out. He was very aggressive towards me and I am shocked that I and my partner are being brandished as some nutcase couple with a dangerous dog. This photo is of my dog. Contrary to what is being posted, we are a local East Dulwich couple of 15 years with children and local businesses (he is not!) and I am shocked that people would share a photo without knowing the full facts. I am in the process of reporting him and trying to redress the comments as I am not sure what else I can do. Thank you"

As a final message from me, can I reiterate that I am using this thread to request witnesses to come forward.

An email address i've set up is in the first message i've sent.

I am not going to engage in discussions over the incident itself other than what i've said in the my first post which i stand by completely.

This is not the place to engage in who is in right or wrong.

I am desperate for witnesses. So please can future messages be focused on this issue. If you are a witness, please PM me or send email to email address i've provided.

The reason i am asking for this is that my iphone camera wasn't filming the incident as i thought it was. There were no many people i ran past who witnessed the incident. I am asking them to come forward.

Fortunately, This country has an advanced legal system with proper justice procedures.

I won't be reposting on here and certainly not engaging in tit for tat personal stuff.

If you are only appealing for witnesses to come forward, I'm not sure why you have tweeted Southwark Labour, Peckham Rye Labour, Harriet Harman and Helen Hayes linking to your posts about this. It's clear there are two sides to this story and I'm in no position to comment on what has obviously been a bad experience for both of you.

But your social media posts look to me like you are trying to stir this up well beyond using the established legal process.

Hello, my name is Helen - i am the woman who was involved in this incident, owner of the 18 month old Cocker Spaniel and partner to the so called "threat to peckham rye". I work in the film industry, and my partner has his own business, contrary to the disgusting prejudices made by Steve32.

We have been law abiding, East Dulwich residents for over 15 years, with two children who attend nearby schools.

This incident has been highly traumatic for me and in particular my partner, who has been portrayed as something that he is definitely not. People who know him are aware of how kind and popular he is as a citizen of the East Dulwich area. For reasons clear i will not be giving his name.

To give a balanced account:

I was walking through peckham rye park, as i do every day with my young Cocker Spaniel. My dog began barking at a stranger (the man who has made these allegations - Steve32), with reasons unclear since it was very out of character. I quickly took control of my dog and apologised to the man, and started to leave. He then accused my dog of attacking him, took out his phone, followed me, continuously shouting that i should be in jail and referring to me as a "bitch". He kept putting his camera in my face repeatedly asking for my name for the video, whilst i tried to turn around and leave. His behaviour unnerved me, so I asked him to leave me alone, but he kept following me, asking me to turn back around, whilst intermittently disappearing and hiding behind bushes and trees. I told him i would ring my partner, which i did. I then spoke to my partner and headed to the cafe. A lady with a pram and her dog who had been walking behind me spoke to me, giving me her name and number as a witness, as she had seen what had happened and told me to ignore him and keep walking whilst she walked with me towards the cafe. My partner then arrived, whilst the man appeared from near the park warden's office. My partner then asked to please talk to him in order to find out why he was being aggressive and following me. The man ran away and took out his phone again to film my partner, who pleaded with the man to stop and talk to him about the issue. Whenever my partner would retreat back towards me, the man would then return from running away and start following my partner to film him again, so it was very back and forth on the rye. At no point, did my partner threaten him or "seriously threaten" the man. The man said he would call the police, which we had no problem with. The police were then contacted, and arrived at the park. A policewoman spoke to me and I told her what had happened. A policeman spoke to the man, assessed the video he had taken of my partner and told me that he believed that my partner was not at all threatening. The policeman asked what the orange/red stick was, and i explained is was just a ball-thrower for the dog to play. I asked if he wanted to speak to my partner, to which he said he didn't need to. I do believe that my partner should not have tried to talk to the man, but he was just very concerned for my safety. The police said they would not take the matter further but had also asked me if i wanted to take this man's behaviour against me any further, to which i replied no.

Im shocked to find that this man has now made all these accusations and claims all over the internet, attempting to portray me and my partner as "scum", clearly he believes his Oxford education makes him far superior. It has been a very traumatic experience for me and my family, having friends contact us and seeing pictures of us on the internet(facebook) which were posted without our consent. For him to refer to this incident as an attack is a complete lie - my partner is not a threatening man and i cannot believe Steve32 has stated that he "should be in jail" and is "pond scum" with "previous convictions". My dog is not at all aggressive, he is one of the friendliest dogs in the area, although i can also appreciate that barking can be scary for some.

I am very saddened to see that people who work in high levels of government, Steve32 for example, could seemingly use their position to influence others to believe nasty prejudices. I was brought up to be respectful to everybody regardless of their class or education, and i teach my children the same. At no point have we called this man any names, or posted anything other than my account - ill let those that read this make their own judgements. Oxford educated or not, I will be contacting the police and reporting him myself, for bullying, slander and an attempt to paint us as something we're not. I just want to resolve this situation since it has gotten very out of hand.

Thank you for taking the time to read, Helen

Hi steve32

Can you tell me what crime you think was committed? Unclear from your initial post.

Also please clarify why holding an orange or red object is relevant. For example, unclear as to whether it was a piece of fruit or a baseball bat?