Cows milk and eczema - Alternative milk options

Jasmina

Whilst breast feeding I noticed my sons skin improved (he had bad cradle cap / borderline eczema) when I cut out dairy and wheat from my diet. When I introduced formula - as a dream feed - I gave him goats milk. However, I soon realised he hated the goats milk when we moved on to formula for all of his feeds so we switched to SMA which he enjoys.

Now his skin is getting worse and the eczema is flaring up on his body. I've visited the Dr who said I should investigate soya / goat milk alternatives.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Has anyone found another goats milk other than Nanny?

Has anyone used soya milk and found their LO responded well to it?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Minder for the alternative goats milk option.

I dont think it's SMA just the milk that is in the product.

Fuschia - I went to the GP asking to be refereed to a dietitian. There are dairy intolerance's and eczema in my family. He reckoned my diagnosis was correct and to make an informed choice about the milk after researching options.

After reading what i've just written I think I will go back and ask to be referred again. I'll see a different Dr instead will hopefully get a referral without too much hassle.

My son is just over 5 months old.

Thanks x

Jasmina, Goats milk formula is not fortified like other infant formulas, so should not be used other than as a follow on milk. I would certainly ask again for a referral, and would be wary about making any substitues for standard formula without advice from a dietician. Did your GP offer any help (creams/steroids/emolients) with the eczema itself?

There are soya based infant formulas that we've used for the occasional bottle when I am out. My son completely rejected the taste of the hypoallergenic formulas but does happily drink the soy formula on the occasions that I can't BF. It was very easy to find in most grocery stores and chemists.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update....

I've received my appointment to see a dietician at the allergy clinic at Kings! The earliest appointment is the 8th June!

So, it seems I need to do my own research...

Nanny care Goats milk is fortified and may be used to replace daily milk intake.

However, I'm aware my son needs his iron levels increased as now nearly 6 months old and his store is depleting. Nannycare provide 0.71 mg per 100ml prepared drink. Does anyone know how much iron is needed for a baby of this age and is this enough for him? Supplements required?

Minder - I couldn't find St Helens at Sainsburys. Have you found it anywhere else?

Use an iron fortified cereal

Serve dried apricots (soaked and stewed)

Dark chicken meat

These things high in iron

Milk is not a main source of milk in the diet once stop bf

Despite what formula advertisers have made us think! (via the huge cup

Advert/follow on)