Barbara Hepworth sculpture in Dulwich Park missing?

Dear trevskirevski

If you have any photographs of the Hepworth sculpture, would you be willing to share them with Dulwich Park Friends, so that we can create an archive? We are in the process of upgrading our website and when it's ready (next couple of weeks) we will have a space especially for this.

Regards,

Trevor Moore, Chair of Dulwich Park Friends

Dear Smiler

If you have any photographs of the Hepworth sculpture, would you be willing to share them with Dulwich Park Friends, so that we can create an archive? We are in the process of upgrading our website and when it's ready (next couple of weeks) we will have a space especially for this.

Regards,

Trevor Moore, Chair of Dulwich Park Friends

Trevor Moore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Eliza D

>

> If you have any photographs of the Hepworth

> sculpture, would you be willing to share them with

> Dulwich Park Friends, so that we can create an

> archive? We are in the process of upgrading our

> website and when it's ready (next couple of weeks)

> we will have a space especially for this.

>

> Regards,

>

> Trevor Moore, Chair of Dulwich Park Friends

Hi Trevor

Just got back from the Christmas hols and am very sad that the sculpture has not been recovered. The photo's I took were back in the late seventies. I will take a look in my Mum's attic to see if she still has them but I suspect they have been thrown out long ago.

Best of luck with the web site and archive

Regards

E.D

Trevor Moore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry Otta, I'm new to this and didn't realise

> each reply to an existing post would get displayed

> as it did! That's why I did several the same. But

> thanks.

>

> Trevor

xxxxxx

If you click on "reply by private message" under the post you want to answer, you can send the same message to several different people without everybody else seeing it on the thread - it's the third option from the left on the "options" bar.

Forums are a nightmare sometimes, they're all different in how they work.

What in Gods name makes people blame Romanians

I don't think anyone actually means Romanians here - this is all about (well, it probably isn't) the Roma - or what we would call gypsies in the UK - one group of travellers (this group probably originating in Northern India and not, in fact, Egypt). In fact the travellers most associated with the scrap trade are probably the Irish travelling tinsmiths - what were once called tinkers - who had a tradition of metal working and a reputation of not being too careful about the sources of that metal. These have now been grouped (particularly by programmes such as Big Fat Gypsy Wedding) with what are also called Roma - although their backgrounds and traditions are entirely different (other than being travellers).

As one of many groups of travelling tradespeople, tinkers were providing a very valuable service of mending and selling small domestic utensils - outwith the remit of the backsmith - they had to travel as there was never sufficent work in one location (other than the very few large towns) to keep them occupied through the year.

It has long been traditional to blame certain types of theft on transient individuals - it should be noted that without the very much non transient scap metal dealers who provide an outlet for sales of stolen metal - and without whose cash-based transactions (no questions asked) - this trade couldn't flourish. If there are tinkers still thieving, they certainly aren't themselves using the metal (as the old-style tinker did) - but selling it on to British through and through scap metal merchants.

• 4 months later...