Nursery/Primary School Recommendations Please

Im currently looking for nursery schools/primary schools in the east dulwich and nunhead area for my 19 month old son.

Both Public and Private. I have read lots of reviews for private schools by the schools and Ofsted isn't flagging up any which seems to be good all round.

Can anyone recommend any which they have a child/cildren at..Im particularly interested in both academic strength as well as good sports facilities.

Thank you for helping..

Hi-

I am moving to the area in the next month and have not put my son on any list for any Nurseries. He is 17 months at the moment and would like to find something for him 3 mornings a week as he will be two in July.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Its a tough having to think about nursery/schooling soon.

Thanks for the info.

Hello - we just moved to the area at the end of the summer. After very helpful advice on here (thank you everybody!), I had a look round Half Moon Montessori - my son has been there a term now and absolutely loves it. They are really lovely there. It's in a church hall and they have to clear away all the tables etc. everyday, so it doesn't look as "smart" as some of the more expensive nurseries but the staff are really warm and energetic and there's lots of room for them to play in. Depends on where you live though - bit of a schlep from some parts of East Dulwich.

My daughter's been there since she was 2.5 and has absolutely thrived. She completely loves it. And my son is down on the waiting list too (he's 1 at the moment). The staff are incredibly warm and attentive and loving, but there is also great discipline and learning. The kids all seem to care about each other. Most importantly their staff turnover is very very low indeed and I think this has led to their success. I couldn't care less if it's in a church hall vs purpose built building. The children couldn't give a stuff about the building, but the teaching would affect them, and I have to say that that aspect has been exemplary.

Althoooough - I've had 2 children go through, both boys and though 1/2 Moon was lovely, with hindsight I wouldn't chose it again (and indeed didn't for 3rd son). It just didn't suit my boys, it didn't suit their style of learning (they were very much 'classic guns 'n' chasing type boys) and though they were safe and well looked after `i wouldn't say they were particularly happy. Id send a girl without hesitation, if she were a girly please-approve-of-me-& give-me-a-sticker type.

We went for Mustard Seed Nursery with number 3 son and it was smashing.

Can't speak for the rougher boys that need to run around lots, only have a non-girly girl (but indeed not one that needs to run and jump lots) there, but what I do think is missing at Half Moon (and at most state schools) is a nice area of green/grass/soil to run and play and hide in.