Chimney Sweep - any recommendations?

brewski

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had our chimney swept by Alan Naish of 1-2-3 Chimney Sweeps this morning and I am happy to recommend him.

He was punctual, courteous and gave lots of advice. He even carried out a smoke test on one of our chimneys to see if it needs lining or not (which it doesn't) so will save us a lot of money when we install a stove and won't fall for the "you have to have your chimney lined" line! Reasonably priced too!

• 2 months later...

Just to add a recommendation for Alan Naish of 1-2-3 chimneys, who has just been round. Quick, tidy and a thoroughly nice bloke.

mc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi

> We've had 123 Chimnney Sweeps around today and I

> was very pleased with his service. The chap's

> name is Alan, 020 8668 9914, 07956 385112, check

> out his website, they've been going since the

> 1870's! Very friendly and tidy and lots of advice

> if you need it. Definitely recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

Another recommendation for Alan from 123 Chimney Sweeps. We've just had him around again - such a nice chap and great at his job. Now's a great time to get him booked him in before his busy winter period starts and then you're ready for winter when it comes.

Telephone is 020 8668 9914

• 2 months later...

I would like to tell people about my experience today where I had booked Steve the chimney sweep (07930 345245) to clean our chimneys.

Now maybe I caught him on a bad day and he wouldn't normally behave this day... I don't know. But I would warn people away from him. Here is what happened:

(BTW this is Dan's wife writing)

Steve arrived on time and started in the living room. I was running about getting the kids ready for school. I looked in just before I was due to leave the house... he had pulled a chimney balloon out of the chimney and there was a lot of dust and soot and mess down on a blanket he had laid. He has put a dust sheet over the coffee table - but not over anything else in the room.. There was an open toy box right next to the fireplace, (I should note that my youngest daughter is asthmatic) plus the table where our TV, DVD player etc sit right there too - these had not been covered and I was concerned that these would get messy. I went over and ran a finger tip along the table and it came off covered in soot. I said "look - it is quite dirty can you please be more careful and use more dust sheets?" - if Steve said he would use more dust sheets that would have been the end of it - but he refused point blank to admit that the soot on the table had been caused by him - and told me I had a dirty house! (We are extremely lucky to have a fantastic local cleaner who had cleaned the day before). I didn't have time to debate this with him since I was in danger of making the kids late for school - so again asked him politely to use more dust sheets at which point he started ranting at me saying I was a difficult customer and he wouldn't work for difficult people - he had been in the business 36 years and was too old to bother with people like me - I was really shocked. he packed up his stuff and left while continuing to rant at me IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN - to the point where once I had completed the school run I came home and cried - then wrote this.

The main thing that sticks with me is his aggression - he just HAD to have the last word (well rant) long after I had given up and was trying to get kids shoes and coats on - and the fact that he refused to admit that he could have caused soot anywhere except the blanket he was using.

Our living room is now filthy and so are all the kids toys and I will need to spend a long time cleaning everything thoroughly.

I would like to respond to the Chimney Sweep Warning message about Mr Steve Pearce.....I would like to say that Mr Pearce has been sweeping my chimney for many years and has always been very well mannered,polite and on time and always does a good job. I have never had any problems and neither has anyone else I know that uses him.

Some people are born complainers and damage hard working tradesmen's reputations which is what seems to be happening here.

My vote goes to Mr Jolly, (Phil) Lovely man, great service, he was early and called ahead (just like the nice chaps at Ocado)to see if he could come along a bit earlier. He did just one chimney, zero mess, very efficient. I got a certificate, I saw the brush pop out the top, and I made a wish. Great job with respect to the traditional sense of the trade. And he was very honest, as we only use our fire for snuggling up at the weekends, he said (off the record) that we could get away with doing it biannually..... Very good all round. I will absolutely call him again. Here's his number, though he is obviously quite busy at this time of year. 07752 130577

Thanks all, keep warm!

We used Aardvark Sweeps, nice guys, polite, tidy and did an excellent job. Very reasonably priced as well.

A blockage in the flue had left the fireplace chucking out smoke into the living room! They arrived next day sorted blockage and left living room immaculate when they had finished. Can't ask for more.

Found them online. www.aardvarksweeps.co.uk