Oakfield or Rosendale Preparatory School?

amb

Could you advise? We will be able to send our son 4 years old to Oakfield Preparatory School (Good Independent schools report) but most probably we will also get a place in Rosendale Primary School (outstanding ofsted report). Which school would you choose?

Hi

We looked round both (along with a couple of the other local prer schools) and went with Oakfield in the end. Our son starts in September. My gut feeling on looking round was that Rosemead was, despite being co-ed, more suited to girls. I am sure there are a lot of very happy Rosemead parents with boys who will reassure you that this is not the case, but this was my gut feeling. One of the other factors that influenced our decision was the larger outside space at Oakfield.

No direct experience yet obvioisly. Good luck with your decision.

Sorry for the confussion. In fact I meant Rosendale State School vs Oakfield Prep. Maybe it is quite unusual comparison but we could afford paying private school just I am not sure if this is indeed better option as compared to Rosendale that has outstanding ofsted report.

Grateful for your help.

A

Well there is a stark difference between the 2. Was is more exclusive and expensive than the other. You just need to go to each at the end of the school day to decide. Also depends on what you intend doing for secondary school. It you are thinking of staying local and reverting to private school, Rosendale will not prepare you for the entrance exams so if you go to rosendale you will have to buy in a tutor - but you wont be the only one doing that. Rosemead shoud be abel to tell you which schools their past students have gone on to - although some children there might need a tutor too.

There is no right choice.

A lot of people would say go state- save the money and you can always top up with a tutor. some people prefer private- especially if they went private themselves. A nice problem to have!!

Many thanks to all of you. I see it clearer now. We liked both schools during our visits. Maybe you have some experience with the after school clubs in both schools? Are there any special activities proposed for children from the reception on? Unfortunately we both work long hours.

Email the school. I know Oakfield Prep will happily answer your queries. There is an after school facility (where they have snacks, do arts and crafts, toy/construction acitivies, playground activities etc) from Monday to Friday until 6pm from reception upwards. The actual club activities do not start until Year 1.

Good luck with your decision!