Dulwich's hippie hotspots?

Bembles

Hi! I've just moved to Dulwich, and really like the feel of the place, but don't know too much about it and work limits the time I have to go exploring.

Can anyone recommend any shops/societies/whatever with particularly ethical/environmental/campaigning attitudes? In Sheffield, I volunteered in a not-for-profit wholefood that got involved with the community, and organised cool events...just wondering if there's anything similar in Dulwich?

Any advice greatly appreciated! xxx

The Broca Food Market in Brockley - 10 minute drive/30 min walk from ED - you said you wanted to explore : ) is great. It stocks lots of organic/wholefood stuff, fresh fruit/veg, fresh bread, farm shop meat/dairy produce and ethical cosmetics, cleaning products etc. It is quite a bit cheaper than ED prices too.

Wellbeing in Sydenham is also a great wholefood store, again a bit cheaper than ED.

The Nunhead cemetary is interesting - gothic/Victorian - good for walks.

There is a new community garden just starting out in the grounds of Dulwich Hospital - they are looking for more volunteers:

See this thread!

The Goose Is Out! (aka FlapJackDavey and I) is running a fundraiser day for the garden this Sunday if you fancy coming along and meeting people involved with the garden -

See this thread!

ETA: Lots of brilliant live music and only a fiver, under 12s free! Come and meet some local bands as well!

Sorry to put a damper on things, but the allotments at Elland Road (under the auspices of the Stuart Road Allotment Society) have a long waiting list, which is currently closed to new waiters until it gets a bit shorter.

But more positively, the Friends of Peckham Rye Park are a community-minded bunch who are currently involved in setting up a community garden within the park. There are lots of singing groups if that's your thing (Noteorious, Nunhead Community Choir, Koruso, Raise the Roof), which get involved in community events. The Horniman Museum has various community events and an eco-centre thing and may have scope for volunteers, I've not investigated. I also don't know much about the Peckham Wildlife Garden but think they have volunteers.

Kundalini yoga has some overlap with hippiedom (though I'm a fan and not a hippie) and there is a great class in Forest Hill on Tuesday evenings or Saturday mornings with Anna Browne.

Good luck with exploring.

There is a folk choir starting on Tuesday 31 January which will practice Upstairs At The EDT if that sounds the sort of community activity you would be into.

PM me if you'd like a contact email address (it's not being run by The Goose )

It will be doing three part harmony songs from Orkney, Scotland, Ireland and England.