East Dulwich, the Notting Hill of the east?

JessieW

I?ve recently had a few real estate agents come over to view our flat to rent out. They have all said that the rental market here is booming with advertising/media types from West London. All of them said that they have never seen it this busy. I understand, because I am one of them, but am curious about how many of us are out there. We have some new restaurants in close distance that have had rave reviews, (Crooked Well), but also a lot of long standing winners? Is Dulwich becoming the Notting Hill of the south east? How many of you out there are from the west?

Meaning from West London, of course. Know of at least 5 couples from Notting Hill that have packed up and moved over and with the real estate agents confirming that there have been many more it seems that there is a huge influx of the media/advertsing folk, looking for a similar place to the west where they can afford to have a big enough place to have kids, and with the good schools around here, it seem obvious. Price difference is huge, but all the same amenities? good local organic shops, restaurants, parks, and the prospect of rail line connections coming soon (unless you already head to Forest Hill for the East London Line) I felt like we found a real gem moving here and obviously it is really catching on with the recession!

ibilly99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just been looking at Leytonstone today - it's on

> the Central Line some lovely Victorian houses

> there and 1/2 the price of comparable E Dulwich -

> there's no value left here.God knows why folk pay

> the prices for here but I'm glad they do as a

> seller.

I don't know Leytonstone, but am sure it doesn't have the schools, restaurants, atmosphere that the westerners are looking for? Possibly does, but right now, East Dulwich is where the hype is!

The Crooked Well Restaurant is actually in Camberwell/Peckham and while there are some good restaurants in East Dulwich, they are also all around you - Bellenden Road, Peckham, Forest Hill, Sydenham, Crystal Palace. The properties in E.Dulwich are overpriced because they are in Zone 2 but one gets much more for the money in Zone 3. Much larger houses for similar prices and we have Horniman Gardens, Crystal Palace Park and numerous parks in Sydenham, Mayow Park; Wells Park; Baxters Field; Millenium Gardens; Blythe Hill; Kirkdale Green. You have the shops, built up area and congestion and we have the greenery .... and good schools to boot!!

JessieW Wrote:

> Nope... Why? give me something here.

Not sure about Notting Hill refugees, but ED does seem to attract Americans and Canadians. South African prefer Wandsworth and Richmond.

Look...

the housing stock's not that great it's quite pretty but it's largely small with minimum gardens

the schools at primary level (non-Private) are ok that's all. Secondary, no thanks....

It's actually pretty poor for transport, except for possiblt the City (is that meeeja types favourite hang out?). Thec West End is shite from here although Hoxton etc is ok if you want to troll up to Forest Hill.

I like it here but FFS get some perspective.

???? Wrote:

> Look...

>

The West End is shite from here

Beg to differ there. Train from ED to London Bridge; cross platform; trains every minute to Charing X. Takes under 30 mins to get from ED to the West End.

???? Wrote:

> Look...

>

> the housing stock's not that great it's quite

> pretty but it's largely small with minimum

> gardens

> the schools at primary level (non-Private) are ok

> that's all. Secondary, no thanks....

> It's actually pretty poor for transport, except

> for possiblt the City (is that meeeja types

> favourite hang out?). Thec West End is shite from

> here although Hoxton etc is ok if you want to

> troll up to Forest Hill.

>

> I like it here but FFS get some perspective.

I don't think you are in the right street mate! Have you seen the views you get of the entire of London from the places around the whole Overhill, Underhill road area? I've also been in flats overlooking the golf course, the park. It's the place to be!

???? Wrote:

> .....are you an estate agent or have you been on

> the Charlie tonight? Or both?

seems I have been responded to by the most active East Dulwich Forum member.... 318 pages of responses from you I see! Come on... just let us have a normal conversation without you being offensive!

No mate I've only lived here since 1994, I#ve never been up that way, where is it? Does Hugh Grant have a bookshop anywhere locally? Is North Cross road a world famous market? Is there an annual carnival up Lordship Lane? Is SE22 full of a bunch of wanky, pretentious, overpaid cooonts etc, etc?

???? Wrote:

> ok.

> Housing.

>

> Where are there ANY houses the size or granduer of

> the average house in Notting Hill? Most of them

> (SE22) would fit in the halls of Notting Hill

> properties...

Majority of Notting hill property is small flats? honestly. Even the big houses don?t have a garden that can compare to most here. Believe me. For a one bed flat there, you get a 3 bed house here with a garden. Those are the types moving over. The young couples. Not the peeps with the mansions in Holland Park. Notting Hill is mainly 1-2 bed flats, well at least anywhere around Portobello Road

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> This area has always had plenty of media

> types......there are many producers, writers,

> directors and actors etc that have lived in the

> area for decades. Is it comparable to Notting

> Hill? Not on any level imo.

DJKillaQueen, I know, it has always been quite a hub here for those types, I just think now it is becoming a bit more well known. Loving the banter and loving it here more than there. Sense of community, not so pretentious... you know.

Dulwich College's is a big draw for SE22 appraently....... ?15k a year (day fees), I'd sure as hell be slumming it in an SE22 terrace if I could fork out ?15k a year (post tax) on just one of my kids' education, maybe that's why I haven't met ANYONE in 18 years who lives in SE22 and sends their kids to Dulwich College (i'm sure a few exist) but a 'big draw'? Behave.