Cash or Card

DulwichFox

Surely most people pay other people/organisations by BACS these days rather than cheque?

It's far quicker and easier.

ETA: Ten years ago we used to pay our headliners by cheque.

It's always BACS now, whether to the artist or the agent.

ETA: Easier for them, and easier for us.

And surely you'd pay membership fees etc by direct debit or standing order? That's what I do for the charities I support. If you send a cheque, it's got to be processed manually at the other end, then somebody has to pay it in at the bank. Plus it might get lost in the post.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A couple of times at our gigs, we have had people

> saying they never carry cash, and being annoyed

> when we say we don't take cards!

>

> Luckily, the lovely Ivy House gives cashback at

> the bar :)

We just got one of these:

https://www.izettle.com/gb/card-readers

Only 1.75% transaction charge, and got the reader for ?19.95. Really good and arrived in 24 hours.

johnie Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > A couple of times at our gigs, we have had

> people

> > saying they never carry cash, and being annoyed

> > when we say we don't take cards!

> >

> > Luckily, the lovely Ivy House gives cashback at

> > the bar :)

>

>

> We just got one of these:

> https://www.izettle.com/gb/card-readers

>

> Only 1.75% transaction charge, and got the reader

> for ?19.95. Really good and arrived in 24 hours.

I've seen stall traders struggling with these because they can't get a signal, or can't get connected.

Might be fine for some things, but maybe not when you're dealing with a queue of people!

Though at least our concert tickets are mainly sold online in advance via WeGotTickets.

I am a trustee of 2 charities and am a bank signatory. We pay most bills and wages by cheque. One charity we pay wages by cheque and have for over a year been trying to arrange BACs payment for staff wages - Barclays have consistently lost our ID forms, given conflicting information etc. Over the past 3 years I have produced all by ID at least 4 times and they still manage to get things wrong.

uncleglen Wrote:

> cella Wrote:

> -----

> > Are people still really paying cash to builders

> > these days?

>

> And where do you think most of that cash goes?

Not sure what you imply? I'm more concerned about people not contributing their full tax.

cella Wrote:

> uncleglen Wrote:

> -----

> > cella Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Are people still really paying cash to

> builders

> > > these days?

> >

> > And where do you think most of that cash goes?

>

> Not sure what you imply? I'm more concerned about

> people not contributing their full tax.

Unclehate has a long-documented obsession with immigrants sending money home to their families and draining the country of cashflow, apparently, as I recall, because a bloke in a pub once allegedly told him they were all at it. Somewhat ironic for someone who would whine like a stuck pig about Big Brother if he was ever told he couldn't do as he pleases with his wages, but there you go.

I usually carry cash and card, and my Apple Watch & I phone to back up the watch in case it runs out of charge. But I carry a back up battery pack and a lead, for both devices (my battery pack has two ports so I can charge both devices at the same time). But just in case I do carry another lead and plug, just in case the battery pack should need a charge.

However, I do also have a camel and a couple of goats with me, just in case I have to barter. Though I?m finding that I often bring a barrow of carrots, as more and more people are turning vegan and won?t accept the goats, and trying to get change for a camel is difficult sometimes.

se22cat Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> -----

> and trying to get

> > change for a camel is difficult sometimes.

>

>

> Do you find people get the hump with you?

This is a serious thread se22cat, please don?t derail it with silliness

Seabag Wrote:

> se22cat Wrote:

> -----

> > Seabag Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > and trying to get

> > > change for a camel is difficult sometimes.

> >

> >

> > Do you find people get the hump with you?

>

>

> This is a serious thread se22cat, please don?t

> derail it with silliness

Maybe se22cat's response was just a mirage.

carlafindle Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> -----

> > se22cat Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Seabag Wrote:

> > >

> >

>

> >

> > > -----

> > > and trying to get

> > > > change for a camel is difficult sometimes.

> > >

> > >

> > > Do you find people get the hump with you?

> >

> >

> > This is a serious thread se22cat, please don?t

> > derail it with silliness

>

>

> Maybe se22cat's response was just a mirage.

Is someone getting the goat over this ?

Camels and goats will come in great following Brexit to trade with our new partners. I'm stocking up on fags which I expect will be a pretty stable currency.

To return to the subject, I do look at my statements and they have a long list of small payments. I therefore try to continue to use cash just because this is an annoyance. 9/10 bar staff just offer me the card machine.

There's a bigger issue in that 9/10 bar staff can neither add up and many don't necessarily key in the right prices.

With cash at least I can know how much - as often I'm not told. But when I know it is an expensive place I just go with the card in any case as it doesn't seem to hurt as much. I'm wondering, seriously, whether pubs and bars have been able to put prices up simply as so few people seem to know the cost of a round or perhaps don't care, some colleagues of the younger persuasion are shocked that I question the price, and from time to time I am right.

I go on holiday abroad with heaps of cash as generally the rates up in Victoria Street are so much better than any other way of changing money - we all of course got Flex accounts a few years ago when this gave you small commission on holes in the wall, which was suddenly dropped after we had all switched. The Flex plus or whatever it is called just abouts makes sense with the free breakdown and travel insurance, and gives this benefit.

Apols for meandering.

Is there a British version of Camel?

We?ll probably have to substitute with Oxen or Cows

So boring this Brexit thing, takes away the exoticness of being an outward looking country.

That said, I look forward to getting some chicken as ?loose change?

Seabag Wrote:

> Is there a British version of Camel?

>

> We?ll probably have to substitute with Oxen or

> Cows

>

> So boring this Brexit thing, takes away the

> exoticness of being an outward looking country.

>

> That said, I look forward to getting some chicken

> as ?loose change?

Here's your Chicken Change. Here's your Chlorine

Im all for Pink Unicorns 🦄 as tradings currency. I mean if people can keep millions in crypto currency in a cold wallet and a laptop, why not have a four legged fantasy pony as a trading vehicle for stuff.

Ahh Haa haaa ahhhhh Haa ha

Oh god, I?ve gone #BrexitBonkers na na na na na.

JohnL Wrote:

> I always get the feeling that little girl isn't

> 100% honest and the shopkeepers being fooled.

>

> But that's terribly cynical :)

You're not alone, I think her Mum sent her in because she wanted some chocolate for herself