To pay or not to pay

katurner

Well, it would appear ONO has regional interpretations.. on googling.

'near' or 'nearest' - I always understood it as 'nearest', not 'near'.

If only we could all learn to live in peace and love then these misunderstandings would not occur.

Eh Clio? I think I was defending Katurner was I not?

Never quoted myself before but....

I would say that that offering a price that is only 63% of the asking price is not reasonable...

Did you read that bit Clio?

I have no idea if it was a reasonable sofa Bob but it looked nice in the photo. I could have downed a bottle of vino and sunk into a drunken coma quite snuggly on it (one reason why I don't have white sofa coverings though :-$ )

As a local forum, it's a convenient way of getting rid of things you no longer need. But the readership is limited, so if you are determined to get the best price possible, you need to throw it open to a wider audience, i.e. Ebay or Gumtree.

Don't start getting abusive because nobody wanted to pay almost ?300 for your crappy old sofa. The person who made the offer was perfectly polite, but in return you're acting like a complete nutter. If you despise the EDF readership so much, I suggest you sod off and flog your old junk elsewhere!

I've sold items on the Forum and had mixed results in getting the figure sought, sometimes the item goes in an instant for requested sum, other times I have to keep reducing the asking price to even get a bite.

And other times I get "silly offers". Thing is, as time goes on, and the stack of chairs remains blocking my hallway or there's nowhere to put the recrntly purchased piano because the snooker table hasn't sold, the "silly" offers become increasingly sensible offers.

Sit on the offer a while and I promise you, as you repeatedly trip over the surplus items, the previously unthinkable prices offered you'll be grateful for.

No need to pay eBay fees or post stuff, just sit at home and someone comes and picks it up from your home !

If you can't obtain the price you sought, swallow your pride and compromise or go elsewhere.

If you go to market you'll get offers, its been like that for 1000s of years.

People are entitled to try a "don't ask, don't get" policy. It's not your choice, it's theirs.

Seller With Piece of Average House Rubbish Calls Everyone Who Won't Buy It 'Bastards' Shocker

When asked to justify the abuse they respond, that 'they're all yuppies, they can afford to give me loads of cash for bent plastic chair leg, but they won't because I was always going to beat them up in pub anyway' explanation.

I don't want to point out the bleeding obvious, but the current IKEA TV corner stand has castors and is only ?45.99

Find it here in all it's stripped down beech beauty.

Since the example shown by katurner is pine, rather than beech, and without the castors - I'd warrant that the ?40 katurner is demanding is more than they originally paid for the cabinet.

And yet people who won't pay that are the bastards?

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Annette Curtain Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > FORTY whole pounds for second hand IKEA

>

> And she initially wanted ?50 for it! Now who's

> taking the piss?

WOW

FIFTY whole pounds you say, maybe it's Vintage IKEA

And ED loves that stuff

She's WAAAAAY ahead of the curve is woss-er-name.

:-S

I don't mind cheeky offers when I try to sell stuff, I can always ignore / refuse them.

But don't get me started on people who arrange to come round to buy stuff so I make sure I am home for them, but then they don't bother to turn up or apologize for the no show. That's just bad manners.

and nothing worthy of the same old ill feeling and ridicule from the usual suspects (which imo is equally as bad mannered as the accusations they lay at the OP).

I hope you are including yourself there djkillerqueen.

An offer is just an offer. You take it or leave it. No point in whinging about it.