Is anyone else tired of having to wait for machines at the Fusion Gym?

My wife and I have been members for a while now and we simply haven't been able to get use of any of the machines of late.

We go every other evening (and in her case, lunchtime too) and I would say that 75% of the time we've had to leave straight away because there are NO machines free and no one is about to leave. Even with the 20minute limit on the treadmills, the amount of people in the gym now means that there are queues forming.

To me, this is ridiculous. when a queue forms behind a machine, you know that the Fusion gym has become greedy with their subscriptions and put it above any form of safety or common sense.

Can anyone recommend any other gyms in the area?

As somebody who trains there twice a week, Mon or Tue then Thur or Fri. Always starting at about 18.15 - 18.30

I'm afraid I cannot agree with your description.

Yes on a Monday in particular the gym is busy at this time, but with flexibility in which Cardio machine we use Run/step/Rotax/cycle/row we do not routinely wait more than 5 mins to find one free, each.

& Monday is the worst day.

The rest of the week is noticeably easier, easing down to no queueing problem whatsoever on either Thurs or Friday.

Same with the resistance machines, flexibility in varying the sequence on Monday & Tuesday is usual. But with no issues later in the week.

I'm not saying that some evenings we don't miss abbs altogether if the mats are full ....... but maybe that is more to do with being lazy & says more about us than the gym.

To say the gym is busy?

I would agree, yes! it is ....... but to me that "atmosphere" is a good thing .... more nodding acquaintances to say "Hi" too & less time to dawdle/waste between sets, as you feel the need to vacate the machine.

It ain't perfect (& I'm not striving to be Mr Universe)...... but of the two others I have tried, it is by far the best for the level I want.

Maybe its that we're getting there an hour later than you then (I don't finish work till 18:00) but I have been members of a lot of gyms, and never have had to watch the time that another persons running in order to know who to wait behind!

I run marathons so cutting the machine time to 20 minutes has also meant that I'm losing out on a lot of use for the gym and whilst you're right that I'm not having so many problems in queuing for the weights, I have a pregnant wife who can - for obvious reasons - only use certain machines and so having to wait sometimes up to 15minutes for the running machines or bikes isn't really worth the cost when we could be quite as easily running outside.

What gripes me most about this is that it was quiet and we could always get a machine - now its always busy and whilst this might add for 'atmosphere' I'm not interested in that when I'm running, If I want to have a chat to people I'll go down the pub.

Does anyone know what the gym by Franklins is like? Are there any others about?

ESPH (the one by Franklins) is smaller but I very rarely have to wait for equipment, and even then there is other always other stuff free so with a bit of reshuffling of programme no harm done. Fewer people means it is quieter, and there is no music. That works for some, and presumably not for others. The caveat to this is that I tend to go in the mornings. When I have been in the evening it is a bit busier but not prohibitively so.

I think it is part of the PAYG scheme now, so you could try that for a few evenings before committing to a membership. Plus it seems they're always happy to show people around.

I could t agree with the original poster more. I've been using this gym before and after the refurb. At first I thought it was just January/February new years resolutions, and thought it would soon calm down. As its not all I can assume is that they have over subscribed hugely out of greed. If I do get on a class it's near impossible to get on the same class the following week, unless you book at 6am online, and even then it's not guaranteed. I mean, I pay for those classes and I can't ever get on them. There is a good atmosphere and there always has been a good collection of friendly regulars that go there. But to be stopping and starting inbetween machines is just frustrating.

To be honest Im surprised it's taken this long for this thread to have started. Most people I know in the area use this gym and are annoyed by it. Why should we go to ESPN at their over hiked prices, because fusion has decided to over subscribe what was a very decently ran council gym.

Hopefully things will get better soon. I've totally given up on classes which is a real shame. There are 2 studios and only three classes on a Saturday!! Sort it out fusion!

IMHO no one should have to wait for any machines at London gym prices.

20 minutes on a treadmill won't even warm me up - unless we all do only this HIT stuff on horizon, but I use treadmills for weight control, which requires 45 mins.

Peckham rye is the option of course :)

I normally end up using gyms out of peak hours where possible

or at least starting my run before the crowds by coming early

- but not everyone can - so maybe some sort of (non price)

related incentive to use other hours for the people that can.

The machines obviously can't have the maximum time reduced

below 20 minutes - that's low already but is there space

for people waiting to do other things (grabbing some dumb bells,

skipping) and is there a mechanism whereby they can still

keep 'in the queue'.

Don't forget the Saturday fitness sessions on Peckham Rye

and Dulwich park as an option especially as it warms up.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What would be the solution to this crowding?

> Clearly as a public facility using the price

> mechanism needs to be avoided.

It?s busy because it?s a great facility ? a newly refurbished council gym that you can use on a pay as you go basis is a rarity in London.

I go (not as often as I should) at different times, and while I?ll sometimes have to wait for the specific machine I want it?s rare it?s for any longer than a couple of minutes. Yes you have to book ahead for classes but again they are PAYG and of a pretty decent standard. I?ve booked the ones I like and it?s never been at 6am

The gym management aren?t greedy ? anyone can pop in at any time and I?d hate to see that change. Gyms aren?t really meant for marathon runners anyway, doing 3 hours on a treadmill would be bonkers.

Sometimes people can just get a bit too moany ? the gym had a few issues with classes and instructors at the beginning of the year and they apologised and gave out free passes to compensate. It?s not their fault we?ve all cottoned on to how good it is since the refurbishment....

For a different gym to go, try Hamlets Health Club next to Sainsburys on Dog Kennell Hill. Its certainly not new or shiny but if all you are after is a decent workout without a queue, then I've literally never had to queue for equipment there, and I go 5/6 times a week @ peak hours...and its half the price, but clearly not as nice!

Hi James

Is there any way we can get some more morning classes going at the gym? There are two studios and if they each had a 0700 and a 0815 class, that would be 10 classes a week that commuters could possibly get to. I've asked about this at the front desk of the gym but am met with the usual shrug of the shoulders.

I don't usually have difficulty getting into the classes I want, but I do book them a week in advance which I know is difficult for some users.

E