CPZ...the results are in.....brace yourselves....

I don't think the council have a mandate to impose this - this is madness. Take a look at the numbers...

Street-by-street analysis shows that within the whole study area 15 streets supported a parking zone while 54

streets were against. 10 streets were undecided and there was no response from two streets. Figure 2 below

shows, based on responses, majority support in green, majority against in red, and undecided in blue.

So because 18% of the total streets covered voted for a CPZ everyone gets impacted.....is this the new democracy?

I am concerned how the council manipulate figures to get the results they want

Peckham west

There was no clear majority in response to the question do you want a parking zone in your street with 48% against a parking zone, 43% wanting a zone and 9% were undecided. Results were very similar when excluding visitors to the area (49%, 42% and 9%) with 11 streets in favour and 13 streets not in favour and 8 undecided.

Sorry but 48% against vs. 43% for is a clear majority against

But oh no, the council then used their second question to reverse those figures

If the figures were closer (say 46 vs. 45%) then the secondary question could reasonably be considered but wth the larger result against it shouldn't even be a factor

If Peckham west is implemented right up to East Dulwich Road based on these flawed results, and the smaller East Dulwich zone is also implemented then there will be increased pressure on the rest of East Dulwich, resulting in a new CPZ consultation in a few years

It appears the old adage of "there are lies, damn lies and there are statistics" can be updated to "there are lies, damn lies and there are council statistics"

Hopefully the local councillors will support the majority in both consultation areas who didn't want a CPZ by rejecting the officers recommendations

Equally I would encourage people to raise this matter at the community council meeting most appropriate to their zone to try and thwart this blatent misrepresentation of the results in both areas

This isn't Brexit: there was a very clear vote against change. If Southwark had thought the constituency was wrong or too large, then they should have settled this before seeking views.

Reprehensible gerrymandering.

And while we're at it, charging diesels more demonstrates that this was never about parking problems.

I did hear from one councillor that further consultations will be made with residents around the station area as to whether it is to be an all day or part day CPZ - I got the impression that Southwark were looking at a 11 - 1 pm CPZ.

Also you notice in the consultation that schools had raised concerns that a CPZ will have an impact of teacher recruitment/stability.

Hi James

Can you please find out if the whole day CPZ does not come into place and it is reduced to 2 hours as was the majority vote how the council plan to deal with the problem of people parking and then paying at a later time. I am aware of several people who park at Herne Hill and set phone alarm reminders to pay for the parking at noon.

Thank you

Surely a 'no return within [a certain time period]', as is common on many signs, would ensure that the driver has to move the car?

1921 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi James

>

> Can you please find out if the whole day CPZ does

> not come into place and it is reduced to 2 hours

> as was the majority vote how the council plan to

> deal with the problem of people parking and then

> paying at a later time. I am aware of several

> people who park at Herne Hill and set phone alarm

> reminders to pay for the parking at noon.

>

> Thank you

You need to look at the proposals for the street you are concerned about on this. Herne Hill May all be resident or pay and display, the East Dulwich cpz were a mix of pay and display only, resident only, and pay and display and residents only. The latter category would be affected in the scenario you describe.

The "no return rule" will only work if the maximum parking period is less than the CPZ hours. E.g CPZ operates 12-2pm; maximum pay to park time 1 hour. If you are allowed to park for the full controlled period, you can park all day and pay by phone.

There is however another problem. Some of the pay to park bays, e.g. by the shops at the North section of Melbourne Grove, are also open to resident permit holders. With the loss of parking space from double yellow lines, residents will, no doubt, occupy those dual purpose bays. A resident weekend driver could block a dual purpose bay for the whole week, leaving no space for shoppers.

Short term, however that may not come to light. Residents do not all immediately buy their permits. Why buy a permit

if you can park a few streets away for free. When the CPZ starts, the Council can take nice photos to show 40% reduction in parked cars to prove it "works", with neighbouring streets parked to capacity, so the council can take lovely photos to show the nightmare of uncontrolled parking.

We?ve seen a substantial increase in council tax, an unwanted CPZ is creeping in, we are going to be charge for the disposal of garden waste and parking charges in our local parks is being introduced. What else can the council charge for next? Oh well, we have the extended ULEZ to look forward to!

Surely any roads not covered by the restrictions will suffer from excessive demand in the future

And a whole day parking strategy is fairly extreme based on the consultation and the impact on our local shops.

This does seem rather a debatable conclusion to a public vote given the information contained within the report

Now I'm being really dim - I clicked on the link in the OP - where is this overview map? Which page? All I see is Fig 2, 3 etc - each with roads highlighted in red blue or green. I don't see a key anywhere.

But I'll be happy if somebody just tells me:

Green = ?

Blue = ?

Red = ?

MarkT Wrote:

> Reg, there's an "overview map" which includes the

> key, and shows the layout of maps 1-5

Reg Smeeton Wrote:

> Now I'm being really dim - I clicked on the link

> in the OP - where is this overview map? Which

> page? All I see is Fig 2, 3 etc - each with roads

> highlighted in red blue or green. I don't see a

> key anywhere.

>

> But I'll be happy if somebody just tells me:

> Green = ?

> Blue = ?

> Red = ?

Figure 2 shows, based on responses, majority support in green, majority against in red, and undecided in blue.

1921 As has been said a no return rule will stop people paying to park from parking and then setting a reminder as it stops a vehicle parking all day. The same no return rule can be applied to either shared use or paid for bays. The order for zone Q (Dog Kennel Hill) has the following and I?d expect a similar provision in the East Dulwich CPZ order if it?s part day.

?to provide 'shared-use' parking places, in which either:- (i) vehicles which have paid the parking charge of ?2.75 per hour (using 'Pay by Phone') may be left for up to two hours (provided no vehicle may return to a parking place on that same day), or (ii) vehicles issued with a valid residents' permit, valid business permit or valid visitors' permit may be left without time limit, between the hours of 11 am and 1 pm on Mondays to Fridays inclusive, in:?

As you can see no vehicle that has paid can not stay more than the two hour limit, I believe someone could park in the morning, call and pay but when the paid for time was up they can?t park any longer in the same place so could not park all day. We don?t live in one of the roads with bays but there certainly was nothing said on here after the zone was introduced to indicate problems with people parking all day. Residents or their visitors with a permit can stay as long as they need. I think that should stop what you ask about.

"Providing no vehicle may return to a parking place on that same day"

So the parking charges operate for 2 hours - 11am to 1pm. But, even if you pay to park for those 2 hours you can then be fined for staying for more than 2, or returning, any time on the same day, when the parking is free.

"no vehicle" includes permit holders, so they could also be fined, for using a shared space twice in a day.

That looks like not a 2 hour/5 day but a 24/7 restriction. Would it allow free parking from 1.01pm till midnight?

It does, however seem that residents can't totally block the shared-use bay, so along with all the double yellow lines residents are losing quite a lot of parking.

MarkT

• 2 months later...