Why I love loud, pounding, repetitive beats

*Bob*

Don't think any one tune can lay claim to being the first house tune.....it all came out of Chicago for sure. Some say it's Jesse Saunders - On and On, but listen to some rare 70's NY club disco tunes and there are hints of what is to come in there. It was just a natural fusion of the hiphop/rap and disco scenes out of Chicago and Detroit for my money.

I mainly listened to the Pirate stations like Horizon, JFM, LWR and Kiss in London. Even when I bought the Marshall Jefferson tune, House wasn't the dominant player. Kiss FM had its root in Peckham where there was a club on Peckham High Street. Gordon Mac played there as a DJ but later became the managing director for Kiss FM (legal station).

I was giving up on the Southern Soul Scene by about 1983 when all the Casuals came in and it went a bit white T-shirt, was never into the Northern Soul thing too retro (even in the late 70s) and didn't like their style of dancing (or dress) as much as the tighter Funk and Jazz Funk moves. A lot of soulboys reunited with their old colleaguse who'd deserted to New Romantcism/Punk under the 'rare Groove' scene in the mid 80s, which as far as I ciiuld see was Robert Elms et al holding fort at the Wag. I went to a few Dirt Boxes which were far less elitist and Zoot Suit but when Aciiid came on the scene it got rid of all that horrible, suits in clubs posey wankery elitist vibe that had put me off clubs by then. Though you had to play your cards right too get into Shoooom ;-)

Of course, southern Soul Boys had a massive influence on the house scene in the south. Danny Rampling, Terry Farley, Pete Tong, Paul Oakenfield, to name a few, all Soulboys of the southern variety.

The lack of credit or even history that the southern funk & soul scene gets amazes me when everyone w+nks so much over Northern Soul

Anyway, back on thread, no-one done this yet?

...French Kiss

Nettie, Hilly was hardly a big noise in the house seen although at one stage he was the best paid dj in the country although most people had never heard of him and Pete Tong was doing the obscure slots in the smallest venues when I used to go to Caister :))