Planning permission before a purchase?

Husker

We're thinking of moving house and a few of the places we've seen, we'd like to do a loft conversion or extension. However, we would only buy one of these places if we were absolutely certain of getting the planning permission to do it.

Does anyone know if you can/or have experience of getting planning permission on somewhere you want to buy before you actually do so? If so, how do you go about doing it - do you get the plans drawn up and ask the vendors to submit it? Or can you submit plans yourself for a property you don't actually own?

Having watched a few of the day time TV shows about buying property, it would

seem the sellers might investigate this , so that the property comes with planning permission..

What ever, you need to know before you buy...

If other houses in the road of similar design have already had loft extentions

it may be easier..

Planning permission is always complicated and it seems concils can refuse permisssion

for trivial reasons..

You can always contact a local estate Agent who may be able to advise you on the local

councils' policy.

Fox.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You don't need planning permission for a loft

> conversion.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You do if it's a flat.

and you do if it's a house and it falls outwith Permitted Development rights.

You could explore this with the seller, but if I was selling, I wouldn't feck about for months getting planning with someone, or if I did and a proper buyer came along in the meantime with a no strings offer then it'd be a no brainer unless you were offering a serious premium.

If it is a house then there are permitted development rights so you should be OK though flats more difficult. The Southwark planning portal is very easily searchable and seeing what has been permitted in the street will give you a very good idea of what you can do. You refer to being "absolutely certain". Well life ain't like that I'm afraid, but if others in the vicinity have done things similar then you need to crack on and as long as you are open minded and flexible then trust you will find a way through with planners and neighbours.

PM me the street and I'll give you a more informed view.

SC - I kind of thought as much, but if a house is marketed with "planning permission granted for...." then that's pretty much guaranteed isn't it? i.e. Southwark couldn't grant permission for something then retrospectively withdraw that permission could they?

If southwark have granted planning then ask for a copy of the permission letter and approved drawings from the seller. WoD is right there is a time limit (usually 3 years) though if time is up it is still a good indicator (but not a guarantee) that a new similar application is likely to be permissible.

To be honest though you should be able to easily find the previous application and permission online on the Southwark planning portal and download the approval and drawings. This will take 5 minutes - all you need is the address.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. The simplest way to extend a property would be by using the Permitted Development rights, which gives you a certain 'allowance' for converting a loft and on the ground floor. Most houses come with permitted development rights unless they're in a conservation area. The planning portal has some very useful guidance with regards to Permitted Development.

I would also advise you to ask a professional, such as an architect for some early stage guidance. It may also be possible to use the pre application advice mechanism that most local authorities will now issue formally - generally low cost and with a turnaround time of 10 working days (the advice you get is not made public and therefore only for you to use).

Good luck and happy house hunting!

Yes, as above, check the date on the permission. I wld also get my solicitor to give me a spcific statement on the poermission point so that, wcs, you coudl sue him/her. (sorry to talk this way but it is better to be clear at the outset as opposed to arguing in an expesnive court later over whether the sol thought it was his or her job to comment on planning.)

As a digression, how much does one need to set aside for side return and loft development? and how long do these horrendous incursions into building work take?

ALso, someone mentioned to me the other day the concept of "double loft" - does that ring a bell with anyone? Is yours "single" Husker?

DG2 - I would imagine by double loft they meant over the main house and outrigger - the lower roof often found on the L-shape extension of many of the terraces around here? Might be wrong. We had a quote for ?45k for a 2 room and bathroom loft extension over main roof and outrigger in September, all within PD.

Side return harder to say - I couldn't separate out building costs for you - and obviously spec of kitchen/extent of works etc is far more variable than a loft. Maybe at least ?50k including kitchen?

Southwark Council does seem interested in Loft Conversions.

Planning - building control

Service outline

Building control consent provides building owners or developers with an independent assessment that shows their building work meets the regulations.

Building control consent is required for domestic works such as extensions, loft conversions and internal alterations. Major residential, commercial and industrial developments also require building control consent.

Thanks all.

We were interested in a single loft (I think!). However, at the moment we're still trying to decide if we've seen anywhere that we love enough to start this process before we've purchased the property, which I guess tells you we haven't!

Snowboarder, thank you. (a lot basically from post tax income and savings)

All of which building information and costs reinforce the view that it is better to be the guy providing tractors than to be the farmer.

Husker- now that I know what a "double" is, I know someone who bought with a "single" and made it a "double". Struck me as a lot of hassle at the time for minimal increased space. You also don't want to be the most expensive house on the street according to my parents as people want to say they live ina better street and move into the cheapest house there instead.

I just wonder when prices will reflect rents. But then I missed the crazy rush into gold for the same reason.