Stealing daffodils from Piermont green

Mrs Y

Confessing to not actually having read any of the comments here. Lovely to see people so attached to daffodils though.

If anyone fancies a bit of guerilla gardening, you are welcome to a bag of approx 50 daff bulbs - I got 70 for a quid from Tesco and have only managed

to plant 20 of them. Will happily drop off tomorrow or Mon if you are close to Lordship Lane /Ivydale Rd. Have spare delphinium, lupin seed too.

Although gardening books say it is too late to plant now, it isn't. If planted this week they will still come up in a couple of months or if not will come up blind this year and flower next.

Anyone can plant daffs. Also recommended for guerilla guerilla gardening is the ?2 box of wildflower seeds, also sold by Tesco. Had some fabulous plants including perennials from just scattering these on rough ground, covering shallowly with random soil and totally neglecting the seedlings.

And speaking of plant vandalism, nothing compares to the massacre carried out in Peckham Rye a few years back by our glorious Southwark Council itself, when the contractors ripped out gorgeous plant groups planted long ago by actual gardeners, including what I think was a unique quince that I couldn't identify.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The price of daffs this time of year is

> practically free! It's like stealing penny

> sweets.

>

> I had thought the point being made here was that

> the objects being stolen were of little monetary

> value - and therefore that there would be no need

> to steal what could be so easily legitimately

> purchased - not that the little value meant that

> it was OK to steal them. Theft is wrong, theft of

> something of no value is wrong and pointless. But

> maybe other posters are reading it right.

I thought it was more that flowers are there for everyone not for a few to take home - so legal or not it's bad manners living so close to many others.

If we lived in the middle of the country it might be different

I don?t think anyone for a second is going to believe that was a genuine and sincere post.

The assets in a park, the street and other public places are provided from Council / Govt funds for the benefit and enjoyment of all people who frequent those spaces.

They are not there to be dismantled, destroyed or stolen on a first-come-first-served basis.

Shivering swan1 Wrote:

> I often pick and take a few daffodils when I can,

> as it saves a few quid compared to buying them.

> Anyone who has a problem with this can jog on- no

> one owns plants that grow freely and you can do as

> you wish, including taking them.

Shivering swan1 Wrote:

poor trolling effort.

Shivering swan1 Wrote:

Under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, it's illegal in the UK to: pick flowers in public parks or community gardens, pick flowers on National Trust property or nature reserves. The green is a community garden.

seenbeen wrote at 00:27:

> Under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, it's

> illegal in the UK to: pick flowers in public parks

> or community gardens, pick flowers on National Trust

> property or nature reserves.

Which sections of the Act are you referring to?

ianr Wrote:

> seenbeen wrote at 00:27:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act,

> it's

> > illegal in the UK to: pick flowers in public

> parks

> > or community gardens, pick flowers on National

> Trust

> > property or nature reserves.

>

> Which sections of the Act are you referring to?

It's also under the Theft Act

According to the Theft Act of 1968 it is illegal to?

Pick cultivated flowers in public parks or gardens as well as plants and flowers growing on land which is maintained by the council (for example roundabouts and grass verges).

Why do some people feel the need to OWN everything?