Stealing daffodils from Piermont green

Mrs Y

?1 a bunch in Sainsbury's the other day.. and penny sweets aren't as cheap as they used to be! I wish to add to my previous comment; stealing these daffs is like stealing penny sweets and then leaving half of the spoils on the floor and the shop in a bit of a mess. It's bang out of order!

iceicebaby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The price of daffs this time of year is

> practically free! It's like stealing penny sweets.

So as their resale value is nominal, it's OK to ransack a flowerbed and ruin a public display. As for the other parallel you draw - would anyone think it was Ok for a parent to encourage their child to steal a handful of sweets either?

The price of daffs this time of year is practically free! It's like stealing penny sweets.

I had thought the point being made here was that the objects being stolen were of little monetary value - and therefore that there would be no need to steal what could be so easily legitimately purchased - not that the little value meant that it was OK to steal them. Theft is wrong, theft of something of no value is wrong and pointless. But maybe other posters are reading it right.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> The price of daffs this time of year is

> practically free! It's like stealing penny

> sweets.

>

> I had thought the point being made here was that

> the objects being stolen were of little monetary

> value - and therefore that there would be no need

> to steal what could be so easily legitimately

> purchased - not that the little value meant that

> it was OK to steal them. Theft is wrong, theft of

> something of no value is wrong and pointless. But

> maybe other posters are reading it right.

Well, I read it the same way as you.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Theft is wrong, theft of

> something of no value is wrong and pointless.

I agree, and it is very sad that these people are teaching their children to steal too.

Whether they are North Cross Road daffodils or Goose Green daffodils is hardly the point.

I was on holiday last year and there was a lovely solitary rose growing in the hedge by which my caravan was situated. I watched people admire the flower, smell it and walk on for three or four days. Then some selfish shit came along, cut it off and took it away! Something that had given lots of people a couple of minutes pleasure ended up in a mug of water on someone elses table before dying. Some people don't want to share, they want to have.

Just echoing some sentiments mentioned earlier, is all. We re-located from Hants in '92 and when we arrived Lordship Lane was a welcoming reflection of my native Totton High St. Plenty of established family-run businesses and cosy pubs with character. Selfish was the wrong way to describe the change in atmosphere that came as a result of all the gentrification. Self-absorbed is probably a lot fairer.

Spot on jelly. Self-absorbed. Trendy claphamites snobbishly shunning the existing culture of a working-class neighbourhood and turning it into something which reflects their lifestyle. ED has not been allowed to integrate this changing culture, it has been forced to accept it as a new version of it's former self. People not caring about pricing out old family businesses, as long as they get their organic produce shop. When was the last time you saw one of these people frequenting a successful old school business like Farmer's or le moulin et al? And the whole "it's ok to pick daffodils because they are cheap" reflects badly upon society. My mother, a staunchly working class Peckham girl would have NEVER picked a flower from a park, she would e horrified, and we grew up with nothing to our names, but we wouldn't steal. You just don't do it. And to see fairly well off people thinking it's ok to do so is so deeply saddening.

Louisa.

And the whole "it's ok to pick daffodils because they are cheap" reflects badly upon society.

I don't believe anyone has said that - one person said something which was interpreted as being that by someone, but others did not read it that way at all.

And, once again, nobody is owed a living just because they are long established and local. If you can't raise sufficient revenues from your old customers to continue in business you have three choices - change your offer to meeet the needs of the new customers, stop trading or move to somewhere where the demographic you want to serve is still a viable customer base.

I know its tough for the residual (no longer commercially sustainable) customer base to see 'their' shops or eateries closing - their choice is to spend more there themselves to keep them profitable, or to accept that change happens.

Getting grumpy or chippy about incomers is simply a rather sad case of sour grapes.

Louisa Wrote:

> Spot on jelly. Self-absorbed. Trendy claphamites

> snobbishly shunning the existing culture of a

> working-class neighbourhood ........

I know this might offend some people but I don't ever remember ED being an entirely 'working class' neighbourhood. Perhaps there's been a change in the definition of working class but a review of census info and trade directories shows there have been plenty of middle class people (identified by professional occupations) living around here for more than a century.

And am I the only one to notice that many of the newer residents are very definitely blue collar workers? (A group of building labourers got off the bus ahead of me yesterday - they definitely weren't born here)

Yes, there are plenty of noisy, splash the cash types, who get on my wick at times, but I'm pretty certain that they like their daffs all wrapped up in fancy paper (who else would buy on Northcross road)- they're not so keen on getting their hands dirty in a public park.

20 years ago the Population of ED was very old. 49% owned cars and a large number (35%) of homes still had outside toilets. Most of that elderly population has died and the houses renovated and occupied by new 'incomers' . Soon - if not already these newcomer's children will be looking for jobs and probably leaving East Dulwich as property prices are too high. So maybe in 10 years time all the trendy bars will go as the population gets older again. Wonder what the definition of poverty will be - lack of a Jacuzzi maybe? . Just a thought. Who can really tell but E Dulwich is a constantly changing community half the houses would be empty and dilapidated if it weren't for the 'newcomers'

I was merely remarking how pointless the theft of the daffs was given their low monetary value. Am surprised some read it the other way. No matter who steals the daffs, ruining a perfectly good community display is remarkably selfish. It shows what value some have placed on others' hard work.

iceicebaby Wrote:

> I was merely remarking how pointless the theft of

> the daffs was given their low monetary value. Am

> surprised some read it the other way. No matter

> who steals the daffs, ruining a perfectly good

> community display is remarkably selfish. It shows

> what value some have placed on others' hard work.

Apologies iceicebaby... I read your post in haste and took the wrong message from it.

• 7 years later...
Taking flowers from a display bed, planted up by local residents is stealing - no argument its wrong they were planted for everyone to enjoy. Teach your children not to pick flowers, or perhaps shop local for ?1.00 from the coop.