20 mph limit?

• 4 months later...

sandyman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I just saw two parked outside Franklins!

>

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Anyone know whether the Lime bikes are going to

> be

> > extended to ED? The parking zone currently

> stops

> > at Camberwell.

Yeah, it's not in the parking zone though. The peeps who left them there risk a fine / or ban.

If it hasn't already been said,

I was checking on line about speeding and the police can enforce the speed limit even if you are 1mph over the limit, and the fine worked out on how much over the limit and on what you earn.

Check here for more info https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/speeding-fines-tickets-how-much-to-pay

From what I have heard, most police forces do not have to enforce the 20mph, but I would imagine that it depends on how many accidents happen within the areas that they apply in.

rollflick said, QUOTE "Though police (or speed cameras) won't normally enforce unless you're going at 10%+2mph over a speed limit, they will in certain circumstances."

I believe that government "advised" the 10%+2mph idea, but that the police are within their rights to still book you at 1mph over the speed limit and fines work on a sliding scale.

I know of two people that have been done for being 1mph over the limit.

Community Speed Watch work to the 10%+2mph but this means that at 30mph 10% = 33 + 2mph = 35, so to not get clocked you must be at least at 34mph, if you are doing 35mph you will get clocked.

However Community Speed Watch will not get you a speeding ticket, you will be contacted by the police to tell you that you were speeding, if you get reported a second time will likely result in a knock on the door from the police & your registration will be put on to the police database, and this will mean that any community speed watch nationwide reporting a third offence, will likely get the driver a fine and points or the option of a speed awareness course, where you will pay the equivalent of the fine to go on the course, but receive no points, so at least you won't have to tell your insurance company.

If you have already been on a speed awareness course within the last 3 years, you will not be able to opt for that choice again and will get a fine and points.

That said, depending on your insurance company, if you have an accident they may say that you should have told them about the speed awareness course, and try to void your policy.

Just an after thought knowing how insurance companies like to try and avoid paying out when they can!

My 2 pence worth on this, if I can slow down to drive through your village or area, then you can do the same when you drive through mine!

• 2 months later...

ed_pete Wrote:

> Agreed. I've seen no change in drivers attitudes

> (including my own) to the 20mph limit and police

> numbers are too thin to bother. Interestingly the

> City of London Corporation are proposing a 15mph

> limit.

> https://londonist.com/london/transport/city-speed-

> limit-15mph

In a few years the roads will be filled with driverless cars and taxis - all these will never break the speed limit and perhaps function better in a slow environment.

Local road policy is poo. Totally unjoined up. No public buy-in. You may as well just unrestrict the speed on Brenchley Gardens.

I will get round to bothering Southwark about it sometime.

Bus usage reducing, cycle superhighways don't help (as much as I am support of compulsory cycling for everyone) and slow down buses, making people paradoxically switch back to cars.

Car occupancy decreasing too ie even more single occupants.

ULEZ (Boris introduced this not Sadiq) is heavy handed, and rather desperate. I don't see BoJo doing much as PM putting most of his eggs into electric cars.

ULEZ policy was BJ's, as he announced at Mansion House in 2014, I was there. SQ just bought it forward. Surprised at the time that a Tory Mayor announced an interventionist policy https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases-6364 BJ also considered extension to the Circular roads, and a possible zero emission zone in central London. DF I've posted this in the past on the general matters site.

Average speed cameras are the way forward. Speed traps and bumps just encourage accelerate/break. For fun go down Court Lane and see how poo virtually every driver is (you can average around 20mph by simply using your accerator to gently speed up just before the bump and back off a little way before, not needing to brake once until you hit the junction). I'm also trained in ecodriving. I'm such a friggin tree hugger me. Speeeding fines and trying to get to 130mph on a motorbike are a thing of the past.

New cars from 2022 will have intelligent automatic speed assist (based on GPS and a database of limits) - it's an EU thing but the UK is implementing it anyway. You'll be able to override the limiter by pushing down hard on the gas pedal AFAIK.

Just hope it's more accurate than the GPS speed limit indicators in the last couple of rental cars I've driven.

I use GPS a lot (even on routes I know, as my system - similar to Waze - offers alternate routes based on traffic flow). I have noticed that the speed limit that the sat nav thinks is appropriate quite frequently doesn't match road markings (and not just for temporary limits around motorway road-works, or 'intelligent' speeds on e.g. the M25). So GPS limited speeds are only as good as the data inbuilt and updated to the system. That's particularly true on local roads where lower limits can be imposed on-the-fly. It took quite a time for the Southwark 20mph limits to appear in my system, and they are still not wholly accurate.

wulfhound Wrote:

> New cars from 2022 will have intelligent automatic

> speed assist (based on GPS and a database of

> limits) - it's an EU thing but the UK is

> implementing it anyway. You'll be able to override

> the limiter by pushing down hard on the gas pedal

> AFAIK.

>

> Just hope it's more accurate than the GPS speed

> limit indicators in the last couple of rental cars

> I've driven.

I drove a high-level Merc for a bit and that had cameras that recognised speed limit signs. The car would, if you let it, just adjust the cruise automatically. It could be overridden if desired.

Paradoxically, it was also insanely powerful and would easily do 150mph (9 speed gearbox and twin turbos). While that was fun, it was also utterly bonkers to make such stuff available in a country with a 70mph speed limit.

Bicyles should be registered with Nubmer Plates and Insured just like cars..you will see the differance in the Cicylist behavior.just like bad car drivers Lots of Bad cyclist Rude and Aggressive. how many car drivers do you see jumping Red lights ..you go and look how many cyclist jump red lights.......Registered with Nubmer Plates and Insured....sooner the Beter for all road users.

exdulwicher Wrote:

> wulfhound Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > New cars from 2022 will have intelligent

> automatic

> > speed assist (based on GPS and a database of

> > limits) - it's an EU thing but the UK is

> > implementing it anyway. You'll be able to

> override

> > the limiter by pushing down hard on the gas

> pedal

> > AFAIK.

> >

> > Just hope it's more accurate than the GPS speed

> > limit indicators in the last couple of rental

> cars

> > I've driven.

>

> I drove a high-level Merc for a bit and that had

> cameras that recognised speed limit signs. The car

> would, if you let it, just adjust the cruise

> automatically. It could be overridden if desired.

>

> Paradoxically, it was also insanely powerful and

> would easily do 150mph (9 speed gearbox and twin

> turbos). While that was fun, it was also utterly

> bonkers to make such stuff available in a country

> with a 70mph speed limit.

I bet it was great fun though!

eddeal1 Wrote:

> Bicyles should be registered with Nubmer Plates

> and Insured just like cars..you will see the

> differance in the Cicylist behavior.just like bad

> car drivers Lots of Bad cyclist Rude and

> Aggressive. how many car drivers do you see

> jumping Red lights ..you go and look how many

> cyclist jump red lights.......Registered with

> Nubmer Plates and Insured....sooner the Beter for

> all road users.

What on earth has that poorly written rant got to do with 20mph speed limits?