Turning a baby

Hello

I am 36 and a half weeks pregnant and my baby is breech. I have been booked in for an EVC next week and was wondering if anyone has any experience of this? I am very concerned that it is painful and could upset the baby. Have read various people's experience on line and one woman said a c section was better than having an EVC.

Your experiences would be greatly received.

I had one, my baby was transverse rather than breech though

I saw an acupuncturist first and downloaded a baby turning mP3 beforehand and listened to it

You get put into a room in labour ward

Scannedgiven an injection that makes you shaky

The manipulation was gentle and short

Scanned again

Consultant says he thought maybe might flip back but he didnt

Returned for scan to confirm

Position 48h later

I also had a positive ECV at 37 weeks. Had tried acupuncture with moxibustion, inversions from the spinning babies website, handstands in a swimming pool and baby turning mp3, which I listened to before going in for the ECV.

It all went very smoothly and baby turned in record time 30 seconds! Even the surgeon performing the maneuver was shocked that he turned so easily. Baby stayed head down and achieved my hoped for home birth. I'm so glad that I went for it, as I was looking at a certain c-section due to size of baby. I didn't find it painful at all, but used deep breathing techniques to help me stay relaxed. They monitor baby's heart rate before, during and afterwards for about half an hour. If baby shows any sign of distress then they obviously stop.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I had it done at 41 +5 (undiagnosed breach and desparate to to avoid a c section). It didn't work (given the size and too late in the day) and whist it wasn't very pleasant for me to experience our baby was fine, thoroughly monitored and I felt safe during the process. If I had to do it again I would as the inevitable benefit of giving the baby a chance of a natural birth is worth it. Mt friend had it done at 37weeks and it worked! At least if you give it a go you'll know if it was possible. The hospital wouldn't do anything that wasn't advisable.

Hi..I am a qualified homeopath & the remedy Pulsatilla is said to have a 40% chance of turning baby. I haven't yet tried myself, but homeopathic remedies are 100% safe - so worth a try! If you need any assistance my contact details are on my website www.wavehomeopathy.co.uk Good luck!! Louise

Undiagnosed breech at 41 weeks, baby estimated to be 4kg (which he was!)....I didn't find ECV painful just a bit uncomfortable but then again it didn't last long as baby wasn't budging!! The doctor and nurse were really nice and I felt quite at ease...but then I am quite laid back!

Ended up with c section which I knew was likely so that didn't worry me really....was just excited to meet my baby and bring him home....just the two of us! Managed absolutely fine on my own after c-section - thank God!

Sending you positive thoughts!

xx

I had a successful ECV at 37 wks at kings last nov, I was very nervous about it in terms of distressing/hsrming the baby but was keen to avoid a second c section as had to look after toddler. It was far less uncomfortable than I expected and the guy doing it was lovely, very understanding, and monitored the baby during and after. The injection didn't make me shaky but would imagine everyone reacts differently. Obviously it helps that it was successful but even if it hadn't been it wasn't as bad as I'd expected so I think worth trying. My baby was small too though whivhi think helped with the turning. Good luck!

Jen

Mum2be

They only turn breech babies as a breech baby wont go head down during labour

A posterior baby can turn during labour but google spinning babies to see techniques to encourage a better position

My first baby was posterior at 40w but born 11 days later very easily, though large ... My body spent about 2 weeks gradually shifting him I think and I had acupuncture