Petrol

Hamlet

This was not a crisis but a home goal.

Delivery fleets do not use the forecourt to refuel but have their own outlets.

BBC did their bit to stir it up by that stupid formula - simplistic at the best, misleading and just wrong at the worst.

Paxman talked about a hoard of battle-hardened protestors that would blockade fuel depots in 2005. They didn't exist. They still can't resist misinformation 7 years later. And they are the good guys compared to other news outlets.

We are truly a pathetic nation, and none of you on this thread have contributed to a proper argument. Prove me wrong.

Irony is that there is finite fuel in filling stations, if there is a panic who do we turn to to replinish it? The tanker drivers. Oh.

Most people on this site don't need regular use of vehicles in any case and could manage with shanks' pony, public transport or whatever for a few days.

I am only ranting as I am an expert in this area, and can't understand the stupidity (in government and across much of the population) that we have seen.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We are truly a pathetic nation, and none of you on

> this thread have contributed to a proper argument.

> Prove me wrong.

>

Just what are we supposed to have been arguing about here? I thought this thread was for people to report whether there was panic buying in the area. There's another completely separate thread where people are arguing about the government/union/drivers etc.

Shell garage at junction of St James' road Croydon at lunchtime- massive queue and police van with police watching the punters (which is a worry since they should be out catching crims)- then queues clogging South Circular at Esso at Horniman where a Tesco member of staff was directing the vehicles in. Drove down to Murco (5p a litre more expensive)-no waiting to fill up-obviously that changed later.

Silly me, I thought it was to debate the sheep like behaviour of the population and the government's clever ploy of taking on the drivers, who of course deliver the fuel, by asking people to risk their lives by hoarding the stuff in inappropriate areas (with sympathy for the poor lady that got burnt).

I'd actually taken no notice of what was happening on the streets but on a rare trip to the white bread capital of the world, ak (formerly as) Savacentre, I asked what cars were doing stopped on a row of empty fuel pumps. To find out that they were waiting for the next delivery of unleaded. Interesting as they were only delivering diesel. Thought I'd take a picture, but then decided not worth provoking people.

I was buying a picture frame by the way, you never know when you might need one, its better to be safe than sorry, and it can always come useful for firewood if there is a gas shortage. Everyone should be responsible for their own reslience.

Anyway thought that twit-ter thing was the best way to get info out and flashmobs forming.

(over 15 years experience in emergency planning)

I'll take note and start ranting on the correct thread now!