Dulwich & Herne Hill Quiet Skies Campaign

SUT

to respond to the London City Airport flight path consultation , which ends tomorrow, you don't need to get all technical. Here's a clear, heartfelt letter from a local resident which makes clear points. Respond to the consultation at [[email protected]](mailto:[email protected])

*'Your Response Form is too ambiguous to complete correctly.*

*First of all, we do not consider that sufficient publicity has been given to this matter. Advertisements in a few freebie newspapers which are not generally available across the area has NOT given the public affected sufficient notice. It also appears to us that with the ongoing Heathrow Consultations, that City Airport are endeavouring to get their Consultations through under the radar.*

*London City Airport is situated in a densely populated residential area and consequently their planes flyover a large residential area including South East London at altitudes of 2000 feet or less when they are some 20 miles from touch down. The noise from these planes is such as to interrupt conversation, radio and television etc particularly in hot weather when windows etc are open. *

*We do not agree that no new areas should be overflown, the noise and pollution generated by these planes must be shared out more fairly and not targeted on the same unfortunate residents. It is imperative, that as a matter of urgency that residents are NOT overflown by planes from more than one airport. This area of SE London is overflown by both City and Heathrow planes.*

*City Airport was built on the understanding that it would be used by turbo prop aircraft and the BAE 146, not the jets now thundering over SE London. In addition, it would be an airport used for business people with the result that there would not be that many flights. Nowadays, planes are thundering over every few minutes. *

*It is amazing how we have to respond to numerous Consultations now, but Concentrated Flight Paths were imposed upon us without any prior notice or Consultation.*

*We are also concerned about safety and pollution with the number of aircraft which fly almost non stop over this area.*

*Resident?s health should come before profit of airports, particularly when they are not even UK owned.*"

*City Airport was built on the understanding that it would be used by turbo prop aircraft and the BAE 146, not the jets now thundering over SE London. In addition, it would be an airport used for business people with the result that there would not be that many flights. Nowadays, planes are thundering over every few minutes. *

To be fair, aircraft are in constant development and it's not the airport that is responsible for what lands there, it's the airlines who run the routes in and out of the place who are constantly looking for quieter and more fuel efficient planes.

The CS100 is now called that Airbus A220 (Airbus owning a majority stake in Bombardier) and the next size up, the Airbus A318 which is only allowed becasue it has steep approach capabilities (entry into LCY is about 5.5 degrees, compared to entry into Heathrow which is 3 degrees).

That's it for "big" jets, the rest of it is still biz-jets, BAe 146 etc. And it doesn't allow helicopters - they mostly head off to Battersea.

Claims that the 'new generation' aircraft will be quieter for Londoners have been undermined by a London City Airport noise monitor at Lambeth which showed that the only new generation (so called quieter) plane flying at present the Airbus A220-100 shows a maximum of 3 dB lower in level flight than its predecessors at 2000ft. This is a scarcely perceptible noise difference on the ground. Yet the Airport is already set to double flights over SE London from 2017 levels, and now wants to apply for even more. For us, double the flights = near double the noise, even with new generation aircraft.

Full information here. http://www.hacaneast.org.uk/news

The 5.5 degree steep arrivals approach only applies from a short distance from the runway. London City flies planes for 20 miles in level flight under 2000ft over densely populated SE London before eventually beginning a descent. It fails to use a Continuous Descent Approach which would mean planes flying much higher for longer, and quieter too.

The difference , of 1-3 decibels peak, is not perceptible on the ground. There are many studies to confirm this. Airports are misleading people to believe new generation aircraft will make a perceptible difference to the overflown. In SE London in level flight at under 2000 ft London City's own measurements show they will not.

"Perception

Sound studies tell us time and again that a 3dBA increase in sound level is barely noticeable to the human ear. In fact, you have to raise a sound level by 5dBA before most listeners report a noticeable or significant change. Further, it takes a 10dBA increase before the average listener hears ?double the sound.? That?s a far cry from 3dB. "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all

I wondered if anyone knows of any means in to which to complain about the new flight path over east Dulwich? The planes fly so low over my flat on east dulwich road it actually makes the place vibrate and my ears ring as though I?m listening to base. And it?s constant! The planes fly over every minute during the evenings!

I responded to the consultation and don?t hold out much hope of anything changing, but i?d like to at least try.

Thank you

sweetgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Personally I think people should stop going on

> holidays & taking flights for various reasons,

> that should stop all those planes flying over!

> Best option I think........

the ONLY option really because if the duty on jet fuel was not subsidised only the rich would fly- and they would, regardless of the environmental impact

News from the plans to build Heathrow 3rd runway:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51658693

To be honest, that one was always doomed to failure; there's simply no way you can carry on building runways and flying while trying to hit net carbon zero. I'm sure that in spite of that, the Government will still manage to miss that target by a country mile anyway...