Upland's Pub/Restaurant

I'm a bit ard of hearing (my bad)so its either the music and not having a conversation (dinner music in someones home is a nightmare, I'll start picking it apart cant help it) or no music and fun chat. Background noise wins. Ive enjoyed dj at gowlett but hardly chatted (shouted) at all. Uplands has awful acoustics true. Though it seems to work at the rye,plus if you want to talk you can escape the speakers. Anyways, have fond memories of many a lunch at Uplands when it was run by the Belgic lady.I forget her name.Also the chef was a sweetie then and I booked a room there a oouple of nights also back then (2/3 years ago) for my gal to get away from the sleepless child. its changed hands a couple of times since.one of those haunted corner sites that could be great but somehow never is. the peckham fathers group would go in there after the session and decimate the place, the kids would and they never whinged. Good crew. Now,hmm food aint as good although its still doable. i wish theyd 'get it right'. Its a perfect spot. I too remember when it was an Ausie bar.

Sadly, to many people do not know about setting up a sound system. If you are a professional bar manager (or even a dj that has not had time to do a sound check) the guide is for base level to be on a half setting, treble on three quarters, the equalizer sliders in a wide 'V' either up or facing down set in the middle. This will give you a fair sound which you can tweek up. Also you need to stand in the middle of the room/venue and make sure all speakers are at the same level.

For level of sound, background music should be set at 5% above customer noise - Sound meters are easily available, and makes your customers happy and of course the neighbours.

I think the problem with the Uplands is that sweet barmaid (looked like Kylie), and as pleasant, is currently away in the east on a dancing jobby. She served you with a full pint, smile and did not keep you waiting. Different to the manageress (the blonde Essex hairdresser type, complete with 4x4) she does not want to serve you and she always has a face like a slapped botty.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

Very friendly crowd wit plehnty of encouragement/banter and no jerks!

Will do - sounds fab - encouragement would be appreciated - used to play a bit at Uni just for fun but it's been a while and would love to get back into it.

Large Sauvignon always helps me play!

I live just round the corner, and if it was nicer it would be my local, but it's totally unatmospheric, doesn't have a good range of beers, usually pretty empty and - well - just doesn't feel as if much thought or effort has gone into it really.

Thank God for the Palmerston !!! :)-D

blinder999 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> haha we had a very similar cocktail experience

> there. Clueless girl randomly pouring in loads of

> booze.

hey if she puts in lots then I wouldnt care, at least its not the watered down vodka etc you get in central london. Quickly caught on that I as paying a helluva lot for water when I first moved to the big smoke.

only been in uplands once and it was fairly empty, the coffee was not too bad for a pub, wasnt in boozin at the time