How to look good postnatally

Lochie

Another vote for laura Mercier - I wear the creme foundation - slap it on and in 10mins it's worked it's magic - then I throw on some benefit Dallas powder to give my pale tired skin some colour and always have a lippy to hand on the kitchen side - I probably look worse with badly applied makeup but it sure does feel good!

Not quite got on top of the clothes thing as still too big for pre preg ones. I find leggings or jeans with a vest top and long cardigan feels good - and I second the shoes thing although still find I reach for some tatty slip on pumps as easiest!

Saying all that I'm sat in jogging bottoms, no make up rocking the bouncer to stop the little fella crying (this has been going on all day!) - so the extra hour in bed was nice but regret not getting up and ready before other half went to work.

I've never really used foundation and always felt a little wary of make-up in general but had a light bulb moment after discovering Benefit's Hoola - a little dusting and I come off looking a little sunned more than anything. That and a little mascara. The more water I drink the better my skin looks but I forget that unfortunately so currently looking a little haggard...

I have a benefit benetint blusher which is liquid, super easy to put on then rub in, can put it on lips too, makes me look a little better than the death-warmed-up look I would otherwise have. Oh, and if I don't put my eyebrows on people ALWAYS comment on how tired I look.

Sorry cant help with clothes, it's always jeans and whichever top is clean!

Despite a long career in fashion I too had a Vicki Pollard period after the birth of my first child. I've since set up my own personal styling company and used my experice to help lots of local mums get their style back - aka being human again!

So here are my top five tips to help you on your way:-

1. Plain indigo jeans - worth buying even when your body is in transition. If you are carrying a bit more weight on your tummy and thighs try a straight cut instead of a skinny as these are more flattering. Also find a style that has at least 2% elastane as they are more comfortable and hold their shape better. Aviod lots of bleacing and distressing for obvious reasons. Gap's real straight are great.

2. Jersey jacket - Will cover-up a multitude of sins and are very on trend at the moment. They are really versatile as you can dress them up and down. What's more the jersey fabrci doesn't need ironing you can just wash and hang. Great for baby lefovers. Try Zara.

3.Lightweight printed scarf - excellent way to add colour and a little extra something to everyday outfits. Try Zara and Mango

4. Statement necklace - will add a new lease of life to old evening tops and destract eyes from the tummy area! Try Top Shop or Anthropologie if you want to push the boat out.

5. Woven blouson top - any print, colour or style you like. They skim nicely over the tummy area and work well with jeans.

You might also find this article useful that I wrote about just this subject:-

http://nevermissedabeat.com/mum-talk-get-your-style-back/

Hope that helps

Best Wishes

Sally

E: [email protected]

M: 07956 293845

W: www.queenbeestyling.com

We are also offering a 10% discount on any full makeover booked before the end of May.

Sally is great - she managed to revamp my wardrobe (which mostly dated from the last millennium!) with the things listed above, and some other bits and pieces, & it really does work marvels. Also second the Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser - I'm pretty clueless about make up but it really works for me.

Patterned scarves also great because baby sick doesn't show up:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a professional make up artist and thought I might share some more ideas with you that you might helpful! There are some really great suggestions here on products and I agree with all of them. Often I find its the simple things make the biggest difference, so keeping your eyebrows well shaped (and tinted if you need to) is one of the best things I think you can do. Keeping it neat, especially under the arch of the brow, as this is what helps to open up the eyes. Also giving your eyelashes a quick curl with some lash curlers help to open the eyes and evens out the lashes so if you have time to quick put a coat of mascara it will look really effective.

To give your skin a bit of a booster I would consider using an illuminating moisturiser (something like strobe cream from MAC) as this will help to even the tone of the skin and make it look more radiant instantly. Beauty flash balm from Clarins is also great too.

A light coverage foundation or tinted moisturiser applying it with your fingers or a brush takes not much time at all but gives you a more skin the even tone and if you take it under the eye and over the lid very lightly, it helps take away any dark circles. Laura mercier as suggested here is great or you can look at face and body from MAC which is very light too. Concealer under the eyes will finish hiding any dark circles and look for one in a liquid texture and slightly light reflective so it doesn't look cakey and brightens up your eyes.

Finally a multi purpose product something for your cheeks and lips would be ideal for keeping it quick and easy, in a creamy texture, you can pop a bit on the apples of the cheek and lightly dab with your finger to blend it in. Pop a bit on the lips or a coloured lip balm, powder your nose chin and forehead with a translucent powder (if you need to - if you are dry pop it in your bag to apply mid afternoon when you may need to!)

I know some of you mentioned you don't use blusher, but I find that if you apply a foundation and don't apply anything to the cheeks, sometimes your skin can look a bit flat as its all one colour, so do try and look around as there are some very natural tones to choose from!

I hope you have found this useful! I do offer make up lessons and offer a make up service for weddings and special occasions etc. You can view my website for more details! www.bridalbeautysecret.co.uk

Thanks

Katie

gosh i know how that feels! just tryed on all my clothes and i feel so ugly in them! iv never had hips and now i have these huge love handels! @_@ still trying to get rid of the yummy mummy belly i got going on...i find that my foundation and lower black eye liner does the trick! feel more human atleast and a fresh haircut never hurts x

I was remembering this thread this morning and was laughing to myself as I got up. My 3 yr old joined me in a speedy shower while the baby banged on the shower door. I got dressed whilst holding clingy baby and 3 yr old bounced naked on bed. 3 yr old then dried my hair for me and dried himself with hairdryer (baby still on my hip). I wafted a bit of mac powder on my face and attempted some one handed eyeliner (soon to smudge on cheekbone). I don't have any other make up as 3 yr old has emptied it/drawn with it. And the thought of CURLING MY EYEBROWS and putting on BLUSHER (neither of which I think I did even on my wedding day) in this situation made me giggle (good job as other option probably to cry).

So - for anyone else whose morning 'routine' sounds like this - my vague strategies so as not to look like a tramp in pjs is to shower regardless of crying/fighting/little helpers, get an ironing lady - even if clothes are old and crap at least they are not creased, buy a job lot of m&s strappy vests - good for breastfeeding and hiding/covering the tummy/hips and wear under tops and shoes/jackets/scarfs can help jazz up crappy jeans and t shirts and are available to buy on lordship lane so no shopping trauma (at least I hope they do!).

Then we had breakfast and pretty much had to start again....