Nursery september 2012

nabz

And this confirms, not all nurseries are equal:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/3312722/Nurseries-are-safe-and-secure-but-are-they-bad-for-your-baby.html#sections

Nursery care may be a pragmatic solution for all sorts of reasons. I think you can bear in mind the research, alongside assessing a particular nursery and its suitability for your own child. What I don't think people should do, though, is reject the child minder option as inferior ... The decision is a complex one

Simone, don't be upset. My nearly three year old has been in nursery full time since she was 4 1/2 months. She's now at two different nurseries and loves it. Always has. She pushes us away in the morning. We're cramping her style! I don't read research papers. I just look at The children at my nursery and they're all happy, chatty, bouncy and confident little things. They're also firm friends and it's lovely getting to know the parents. Don't worry and do what feels right for you and your little one!

I think that's good advice from monkey. (to do what's right for you and your little one)

I'm planning to put my baby in nursery when I go back, though will look into all options partly because I'm worried about nursery waiting lists and partly because I'm not sure what my hours will be yet so want to keep everything covered.

Also thanks for the links fuschia.

For what it's worth I have used a combination of childminders and nursery when my children were young all within this area. I have no complaints from both.

Childminders meet up at various playgroups, one o'clock clubs etc. Why shouldn't they? The fact that they may not be watching a child 100% doesn't equal neglect; an experienced chilminder can cast an eye over a child or children within a safe environment and chat with friends at the same time. I always welcomed the fact that my childminder took them out rather than being 'cooped' up all day.

To Nabz I entirely understand your concerns; there are hoards of us living here that don't have any family in London.

Whatever you choose, be reassured that our children do come out unscathed!

thanks everyone for replys trying to track down a childminder that my mum knows and if that doesnt work im going to apply to some local nurserys too! if only southbank university hadnt closed down their university last jan!!! :(

Simone, my niece was at nursery from 9 months, it was attached to the uni where my brother-in-law was a student, it sounded absolutely lovely and they were very sad when she had to leave (too far away once he had graduated).

simonethebeaver Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Actually people are quoting research, not

> experience. And it seems I am doing entirely the

> wrong thing for my baby. I have no idea whether

> she's happy really, and apparently I am damaging

> her.

Simone Lovely, I'm so sorry that my post has upset you so much, you can imagine that would never have been my intention in posting. Rather it was to address the OP's negative experience of childminder scaremongering.

I hope you're feeling a bit better about it all now?

As a Mum of older children now, I can only tell you what I've learned - It's this: we all 'damage' our children in one way or another, there's no escaping it. The perfect Mother/Father whatever really doesn't exist (as teenagers were put on this earth to remind us!). All we can do is the best we can, with whatever resources we have available to us at any given time. Sometimes we do it right, sometimes we get it wrong. Most often it's pot luck.

It helps to sometimes raise your head to the long view. Your lovely little girl will grow up to be a beautiful and well adjusted adult, I have no doubt of that. She will know that you love her and have had her well being at heart in everything you've done. With regard to her nursery: If you have a good feeling about the place (happy and attentive staff, willing to talk to you, clean & bright environment etc.etc.) then for now let that be enough. Your little one has just started, watch her over the coming weeks & I'm sure you'll get some sense of whether or not she's happy there. If you feel it's a good place, then that's a great place to start from.

And remember: Research results are generalisms. They're not personal to you, me or anyone else. We're all just doing our best however we can.

nabz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> tbh im quite scared about leaving my baby with a

> childminder, iv heard such horror stories

> recently! atleast if shes in a nursery theyl be

> other children to play with and more then one

> adult...:S

I would say I found our childminders give a complete home from home environment and would highly recommend a childminder (obvi best to go off recommendations) rather than a nursery when very little. baby rooms in nurseries are nowhere near what a childminder can offer in my personal opinion nursery far better once 12 months or older as more space to run around etc. Good luck with your search! Bright Horizons and Little Jungle are 2 nurseries that seem lovely and My Favourite Nursery on Upland Rd has less of a waiting list.