Is it standard to pay a childminder for her holidays?

We have found a childminder to look after our son when I return to work. She's lovely but she wants us to pay for 4 weeks holidays she takes off each year. Is this standard practice?

I work in IT and contractors it that field are paid on a day rate but aren't paid for the days they don't work. As we're not employing the childminder directly (not paying her tax & NI for instance) are we really responsible for ensuring she has paid holidays? I know everyone is legally entitled to 4 weeks of paid holiday including bank holidays, but isn't she effectively self employed and therefore responsible for ensuring her day rate covers things like holidays & sickness?

I'd appreciate other people's thoughts/experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Each minder sets their own terms - those who don't charge for holidays probably charge a higher daily rate.

My minder charged 50% for her holidays.

It's just a question of mutual

Agreement. Worth agreeing it will

Be paid Pro

Rata if you aren't with her for the full year ...

Yes, most childminders do charge for their holidays. If you do a search for this subject on Mumsnet you will find some lively discussions about it and an explanation of the reasoning behind it. If you didn't pay for holidays they would simply charge you more per session.

Hi, yes it's standard. Check out the NCMA (National Childminder's Association)for more information.

Try and liaise with her so that you take your holidays when she is taking hers. It will be more annoying if you need to pay again for someone else to care for your child while she is away.

It isn't standard, it is down to agreement between you. It seems to depend on supply and demand, imagine that paid holidays are not the norm except where demand for CM services exceeds supply, as it does in Dulwich.

In my now area (surrey) there are more CMs in comparison with demand. CMs don't charge for their holidays (although we pay if we choose to take time off when our CM is available, which seems fair). In london presume they can and do get paid holidays. Similarly they will do preschool pick-up and only charge for the half-day, whereas in busier places they charge a full day's fees.

You also need to check and get in writing what notice period she'll give you for her hols (since if you don't take yours at same time could be paying for 8 weeks you don't use), and specify (if this is important to you) that holidays or most holidays will be taken in school holiday time (or you could be stuck covering leave in term time while children are in school).

Other things to watch are bank holidays and christmas / easter. Knew a few people who were charged by their CM for Christmas / Easter as the CM said she was available / chose not to take her unpaid leave then, knowing that most people take time off.

It sounds like she is your employee, not your contractor and it is illegal for you not give her a minimum level of holiday pay. You should also check out your national insurance and pension expectations

Smiler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I doubt CMs in dulwich charge less than minimum

> wage trevone.

Actually, they often do. Minimum wage is ?6.08 at present and many childminders charge less than this. Don't forget too that they are often having to supply food/pay for petrol/car maintenance etc with that money.

nubby'smums Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Smiler Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I doubt CMs in dulwich charge less than minimum

> > wage trevone.

>

> Actually, they often do. Minimum wage is ?6.08 at

> present and many childminders charge less than

> this. Don't forget too that they are often having

> to supply food/pay for petrol/car maintenance etc

> with that money.

Minimum wage applies only to an employee. As a childminder is self employed, it does not apply. Consider too that a childminder will often look after more than one child so if they charge ?5 an hour, this is not necessarily all they will earn for that hour.

Food/petrol etc can be claimed back against tax as they are self employed.

I've met childminders who do charge for holidays and those who don't, though probably more who do!