Sicily by public transport

ontheedge

Planning to go to Sicily for a week early June. Nothing booked yet only flights to Palermo, staying 8 nights and want to see as much as possible on a budget. Anyone got any words of wisdom, places to stay etc.

Appreciate any suggestions ta

I went back in 1989 but found it easy enough using the buses etc. to get around.

Don't dismiss Catania straight off - a big town but there are some interesting parts of it and a great market and it's handy for Etna.

Cefalu (north coast) was great but I think it's changed in recent years (more hotels etc. - though not necessarily a bad thing)

And Palermo itself - whilst a little maddening - has a lot to recommend it - especially the Capuchin catacombs if well-dressed corpses in various states of mummification are your bag.

I would say - eat at the markets wherever you are (cheapest food and often the best), use buses, drink ice cold birra grandes at the little street stands and avoid the outdoor cafe seating in the touristy places and you could stretch your budget a fair way.

Also beware of the 'private' beaches, they're often only marked by low fences or lines of beach-huts but sit in the wrong place and they'll try and charge you.

If getting trains around you have to validate your tickets on the little orange machines on platforms. No one really tells you about it, and if you don't do it you get a 100 euro fine. And in the more rural places trains sometimes (in the week we were there it happened three times) don't turn up so try and travel early rather than later in the day if doing a long-ish journey in case you need a plan B.

our holiday was actually quite horrible, we went for a friend's wedding and made a week of it. All other guests had a lovely time as they all hired cars and went wherever they wanted when they wanted to. We did it all by public transport so spent most of our time carrying our bags around, waiting for buses and trains then sitting on buses and trains. If doing it by public transport, don't try and do a new place each day as it's really stressful!

Though the fact that it rained the whole time we were there probably doesn't help. Hope you have better luck and a lovely holiday!

Ooh I just got back from Sicily yesterday. A four day eating and drinking marathon and i was lucky enough to be with an Itailian who has lots of friends in Palermo.

Didn't do much in the way of public transport, but I would definitely not want to drive there - it is totally mental in Palermo.

You also have to validate your tickets on the buses.

Cefalu is an hour by train from Palermo, and well worth a visit.

Must try food

pane e panelli - street food, deepfried pieces of chickpea batter, fried in olive oil and served in a fresh roll with a squeeze of lemon juice - AMAZING!

Caponata - I was never a fan of the aubergine but they do magical things with it

Aubergine rolls - the stuffing is incredible

Stuffed calamari - ditto.

Arancini - rice balls the size of a tennis ball

Sword fish - a speciality

Canolli - crisp rolled biscuit filled with sweetened ricotta. must be done daily if possible, they are incredible

Cassatella - look like green boobies with a glace cherry as the nipple - yummy

How this island is not full of clinically obsese peole I will never know

Enjoy!

8 nights is not long enough to see the whole island even if you spend every day travelling. Also, on public transport it's going to be very inefficient unless you stick to the main routes.

If you're flying into Palermo it makes sense to spend at least a couple of days there (try and go to the seaside at Mondello, at least for a seafood dinner). Cefalu is a great spot, but make sure you stay in the old town, as some of the accommodation further along the beach is quite a hike. From there you can either head further east to Milazzo (for the Eolian Islands), Messina (not worth stopping), Taormina and Catania, or south to Agrigento. If I were you I'd head for Agrigento and the temples, and save the eastern half of the island for another trip.

Alternatively, you could head west from Palermo, toward San Vito lo Capo and Trapani. I've never been there but I've heard it's nice.

And remember to eat an ice cream every day. At least one.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To get really excited about Taormina, watch The

> Big Blue before you go....

I spent 3 weeks in Taormina on honeymoon, and i have to say it's a real jewel. Breathtakingly beautiful especially the evening operatic concerts held in the ampitheatre with the ocean, the harbour and etna glowing in the background. The hotel Isabella is a nice place to stay. Great fireworks displays as well!!!