Birth stories - fascinating or freaky??

Kes

Honest opinions needed please lovely family roomers -

I've been writing a blog since I was pregnant with my daughter 3 years ago (not going to link to it - that feels rather cheeky!), I write a fair bit about pregnancy and birth but I've never put my daughters "birth story" on there - should I? What do you think?

I can't decide if it's something people (both those I know and strangers) want to read about - lots of people love one born and all that and it would sort of fill a blank on the blog or is it just a bit weird/TMI?

The other factor is that it wasn't a great birth so won't be a lovely, cuddly read, although I try to put a positive spin on everything on the blog.

Opinions??

Thanks!

Exactly people can choose to read or not to read. I don't read Harry Potter but I understand loads of people do. Don't like the graphic bits of One Born Every Minute coz don't like the blood but still watch it and cry every time a new baby pops out.

Great, thanks everyone! So the consensus seems to be to write it - now I just have to try and do that without it being too long - could be tricky!!

Ruth - hehe, I read yours when you posted it, really interesting!

K

redmare Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd say go for it, but if it's possible signal

> early if it's a happy or otherwise tale. The

> otherwise tales are disconcerting for those of us

> about to go through labour for the first time...

> :)

Personally, I found it really useful to hear both sorts of story. I wanted to be able to think through the "what would I do in that situation" question when I wasn't actually in labour. But feel free to PM me if you need to hear about happy, easy births. I can tell you about my two, and they were both quite comical in their own ways.

etta - I do wish I had been as sensible as you! I believed entirely that everything would go smoothly for me and had no "what would I do" back up plan - with hindsight that was rather foolish!

redmare - I guess it depends on what you mean by happy? It certainly won't be a tale of how wonderful and empowering my planned natural water birth was - 'cause that all went right out the window! But I have a gorgeous, healthy almost 3 year old and another on the way - so that much is very happy!

Sanne Panne - not letting it get over long is going to be my main challenge I think.

K

Kes that sounds like a happy story to me! I meant 'happy' with no pre-judgement about the kind of birth it turns out to be (I'm trying to think through 'what would I do in that situation?' too so all info - warts and all - is really helpful). If the writer feels traumatised by the experience (what I was thinking of as 'otherwise' stories) I try to avoid them.

Look forward to reading your story - can you post a link to your blog?