Vehicles on diversion

roban1

Bic Basher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> According to TfL, the roadworks on Barry Road will

> now continue until December 20th. A job that

> should have taken 4 weeks is now three months.

>

> How can Thames Water get away with such

> disruption?

Dont forget Southwark waive through planning for blocks of flats and all kinds of buildings' conversions- and each household requires a separate mains water supply- uphill most of the time. The infrastructure is ALWAYS the last thing to be considered...it's a pity they didn't think it was going to be a serious issue before all the planning applications in the area were agreed!

and each household requires a separate mains water supply

I had understood (happy to stand corrected) that this was for sewers and drains - but of course the consequences of increased densities still apply. Additionally more rainfall leads to more run-off and demands on drains.

• 1 month later...

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> and each household requires a separate mains water

> supply

>

> I had understood (happy to stand corrected) that

> this was for sewers and drains - but of course the

> consequences of increased densities still apply.

> Additionally more rainfall leads to more run-off

> and demands on drains.

Yes- more lavatories too- most old houses around here have ONE toilet and bathroom but you can bet that any extensions, conversions etc will require at least 2 if not more....in fact I'm sure I saw a house conversion for sale on Crystal Palace Road that boasted 5 bathrooms...

May be much quieter but many elderly people use the 12 or 197 bus route to get to The Gardens Surgery. They do not have access to cars and cannot afford mini cabs.

Only way to get to surgery if you are not on the 63 bus route is bus down LL to Kings Arms, cross road and get 12/197/63. Having done this route myself - took 30 minutes.

To add insult to injury - the route out to Brockley via Honor Oak Park is now entirely blocked off, apparently for 12 weeks - ED is slowly being cut-off from the rest of the world. Does anyone in any council actually care at all how we are being treated? (The Honor Oak Park situation is at Lewisham's, not Southwark's door, of course, but we couldn't expect adjacent councils to ever discuss what's happening on their boundaries, could we?)

It is Forest Hill Road (actually Honor Oak Park Road up to Honor Oak Station - there is a road block (total) at the junction with Honor Oak Road (at Francis Cabrini School), down which all traffic is diverted (at least, it was there last night). Apparently for 12 weeks. There is a further imposed one way system just at the Devonshire Road junction - also technically blocked off though I barged my way through, which seems unrelated - probably water works. Effectively Brockley is no longer directly accessible from ED - you have to access via the South Circular/ Stanstead Road at the B128 junction, so far as I can see. Or possibly some sort of loop through via Brenchley Gardens. Yesterday at least it was a nightmare. I cannot imagine worse or less joined-up planning. The scheduled works shouldn't have started until the emergency works had been cleared, I'd have thought. Then at least you could divert found via Devonshire road, currently blocked.

Update on Honor Oak Park Road. The section of works by Devonshire Road now seem complete (was last night at 11.00). The lights and road blockage are still in, but I reckon they could be removed. The section outside Cabrini is now half open (one lane of traffic) but at 11.00 there were no lights to filter traffic driving each way at all (there had been at 5 that evening). So stil a nightmare, but no longer an impassible one. But this does not seem to be well managed. And it wouldn't be my chosen rush hour route if I could avoid it!

• 3 weeks later...