Traffic lights at the junction of East Dul & Peck Rye

This junction at the best times is incredibly dangerous. Something has to be done about the sequence of the lights because its only been letting one or two cars through at a time, if your lucky. So consequently what your getting is impatient drivers jumping the lights which is incredibly dangerous and i'm relieved and amazed there hasn't been an accident, but unless something is done there may well be. I think installing a camera would be a good idea, particularly for the drivers who still turn right when there not supposed to. A filter light would be a wise idea as the buses obscure the view when turning right from East Dulwich.

Nicholas Driving Academy SE22

There have been plenty of accidents, more than one of the fatal, and this subject has been discussed on here numerous times. Still, nothing gets done and the light sequencing continues to defy logic.

Yes i'm fully aware of this and I know there was a fatality. I commented on this thread but felt I needed to bring it up again.

Surely its not rocket science at least sort the lights out that would be a start and would help to ease the congestion and frustration it causes.

I really believe a filter light would improve it immenseley.

It would seem that even to the "non expert" eye that the phasing of the lights at this busy junction is just plain wrong.

Making them dysfunctional & counter productive to smooth traffic flow at best & plain dangerous at worst.

So what can be done to stimulate the responsible persons into doing something?

& by "something" I don't mean parking the camera Smart Car on the grass to catch a few illiterate numpties turning right against the sign! Illegal acts are just that, illegal & cannot be condoned nor accommodated, it's the whole overview of phasing & flow across the junction that needs a review.

I asked James about this in April, here is response

"Hi ontheRye,

Apparently junction redesign East Dulwich Road with Peckham Rye is in the hand of TfL who are pleading too busy until after the Olympics. Apparently after the olympics they'll review the workload they have and then give Southwark Council timescales. My hunch would be early 2013".

My understanding is that Tfl approval is required because the junction is used by buses. As no buses turn right south onto Peckham Rye at this junction, Tfl have no incentive to agree to such a filter. It does seem crazy given the overwhelming weight of opinion. Maybe we should start a petition to Tfl?

Renata

Are you saying that there are plans already drawn up & in hand, but that they won't actually start doing the work in the ground till after the Olympics?

Or

The survey & whole investigation process are going to be done, but even this won't start till after the Olympics?

I tend to avoid this junction at busy times (perhaps that?s what tfl want), and scoot around the back, although some of the shortcuts have been scuppered in recent years.

I you have to use this junction, the best approach is aggression, especially if you?re turning right (onto Peckham Rye). Position your car as far over to the right as possible, so as to intimidate oncoming traffic, and when some pussy slows down, hit it baby; then screech those wheels and make the move stick!

>:D<

• 3 weeks later...

All the plans for the junction are with TFL, awaiting their comments/approval. I am aware that this junction does keep coming up on here, with regards to safety, light phasing and structure. It will have a major overhaul, but nothing will happen until after the summer due to the Olympics/Paralympic. Be aware also that the flow of traffic through this junction is huge and therefore it's never going to be easy to deal with!

Renata